Would a different elemental/suit system be a deal-breaker?

Would a different elemental system be a deal-breaker?

• Yes

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 63.0%

• Total voters

Laura Borealis

If a tarot deck had a different elemental/suit correspondence system than the usual one, would that stop you from getting it?

For clarity, imo the usual system is Swords/air, Staves/fire, Cups/water, and Coins/air. I don't want to muddy the question by saying what I have in mind instead. :)

Poll is simple yes or no, because I am curious if it would be a deal-breaker. If you're thinking "It depends!" then the answer is No, as the mere fact of a different system would not be a deal breaker... :D Feel free to discuss what it would depend on, though!

RunningWild

Let me be the first to vote and respond here...

Not a deal breaker at all. I have a deck or two that switch the elements around and it doesn't seem to affect readings I do with them as long as I can see what the artist sees in the elemental switch.

dancing_moon

I don't have any decks that use non-traditional suit correspondences, but I don't think it would matter that much.

I'm more and more inclined to view every deck as a unique system that might or might not remind similar decks. For me, no two decks are similar enough (unless it's another clone of RWS, with thematically redressed scenery :(), and slight deviations make each deck a system in its own. So, shifted suit correspondences would be just another peculiarity to pay attention to.

Laura Borealis

Thank you for answering, you two :)

I'm still in the contemplation stage, so I'm not sure I would go with a different system anyway. But I keep being mentally pulled to it.

Chronata

I wanted to say no...but then I realized that every deck that had the swords/fire and wands/air were decks that I gave away. Even the ones that were incredibly beautiful.

Because I just never used them.

Laura Borealis

This is good to know! Thank you. :)

Zephyros

For me it wouldn't be provided the deck explained itself well enough why (not the LWB, the deck). The traditional attributions have centuries of history and context, and a deeply-rooted structure and reasoning. Simply switching the attributions on a whim is uninteresting to me.

Alta

Not a deal-breaker, but because my mind is so fixed on the attributions you name in your opening post, I do struggle with the Swords/Fire thing or the the other combos that have come out. As closrapexa says, the new system would have to be very well explained.

Richard

I use the usual Elemental attributions (Wands = Fire, etc) extensively and automatically. For me they have wide ranging mythological, psychological, and occult associations which I have built up over the years and would be loathe to give up. Another system (such as the Wiccan) would be a deal breaker unless there were something really special about the deck. I have no problem with decks which are neutral regarding the Elements, such as those in the Marseille tradition.

Padma

Not a deal breaker for me, because I tend to read intuitively more than traditionally, anyways...and I do not always use the elemental dignities. So I don't mind at all. As long as the images speak to me, it little matters whether they are stones instead of Pents, for example, or cake instead of fire! :D Cards are cards are cards, imo. They're just keys to open my own intuition.