The Next Step for my Book ???

How would you like TB's OOP book to be reincarnated?

• Convince a new publisher to print it.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I like to turn paper pages; please POD it for me.

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Electronic format; Kindle, Nook, etc. works for me.

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters

tarotbear

working away ....

The holiday, the heat, and other distractions are toiling away on me as I toil away on the cards. Today I sketched the 70th of the 78 cards! I have also included a couple of alternative 'concepts' and sketched those, too, as I go along. Several cards have been entirely re-composed. Today I also found out drawing a staircase in correct perspective took longer than the other three cards in the set! I'm so glad I have mechanical drafting skills! Why did I start this project?

Making a character for each of the suits has been quite interesting since you tend to start seeing them as personalities instead of just random cards. 'Mr Workout' who is Cups/Water is also the only man with long hair which is braided, and it started making him look Native American, so I am letting that run through the suit. You also see the characters progress even farther when you see 'Mr Outdoors' transform the wedding/celebration 4 Wands card into a picnic beer blast! In the 5 Swords where 'Mr Buttondown's' aggressive behavior overpowers other characters, the men from the other suits appear, defeated.

I will admit one thing, though; Pamela Coleman Smith who created the original RWS illustrations - which have been called shallow and cartoonish - in them she created some of the most expressive hands I have ever seen, and I am unable to duplicate them.

'Traditional' and 'Purist' this deck IS NOT! Except for the Queens, (for the moment - anything can change) which reside as tributes to Miss Smith, I have diligently worked at removing the Medieval clothing from the characters. Perhaps someday I will redraw the Queens into something more contemporary; I was a costume designer, after all! However, I need to look at the whole before I get too nit-picky about it's 78 separate parts. I tell people "I am NOT designing a deck! I am designing the illustrations for my books!" It will be a flawed product by its very nature. It's a lot of work!

But it's a damn lot of fun!

WolfSpirit

You are going so fast !
I love it that the creative process is making you go in directions you had not thought of before. It is like writing fiction, when it seems the characters are taking over and choosing their own role :)

tarotbear

Some Threes and Fours

I inked the Threes and Fours today and also two of the fives; I will leave those until I finish the set of each.

Did I mention that when more Suit symbols get onto a card, the smaller they have to become?

Attachments

• Cups 004.jpg
    Cups 004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Pents 003.jpg
    Pents 003.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Wands 003.jpg
    Wands 003.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Swords 004.jpg
    Swords 004.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 65

Mallah

Ohh I love your 3 of pents! Quite a departure! See, you're "riffin" on the Tarot! Gotta love it!

firefrost

You are doing so well!

I love how you decided that the guy in Four of Swords would take off his glasses to rest. I know us spectacle wearers do anyway, but nice touch!

tarotbear

Thank you for noticing!

In the 2 and 8 Swords, they are at his feet. In my Hanged Man my eyeglasses are hanging off the top of my head. Since the Wands man is the only man with a hat, as the King Wands his hat is turned backwards with his king crown over it.

tarotbear

Fives & Sixes

Today I inked the last two Fives, all the Sixes - with an alternative 6 Pents, and 2 Sevens. It still amazes me how some cards are just so simple, and some cards are so complicated!

64 completed; 14 more to go!

Attachments

• Swords 005.jpg
    Swords 005.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Wands 005.jpg
    Wands 005.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Cups 006.jpg
    Cups 006.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Pents 006.jpg
    Pents 006.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 87

gregory

You have PM about a RWS deck you CAN use :)

tarotbear

Sevens and Eights

Today I completed the Sevens & Eights! I now have 70 of the 78 cards completed! It has taken 29 days!

I will tell you - when you get up into the higher numbered Pips - drawing 7, 8, or 10 of something and trying to make them all look exactly alike ~! :bugeyed:

Attachments

• Swords 007.jpg
    Swords 007.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Wands 007.jpg
    Wands 007.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Cups 008.jpg
    Cups 008.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Pents 008.jpg
    Pents 008.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 63

gregory

But why do they HAVE to look the same ? Even Pixie's don't. })

Nice cards :)