The Medieval Tarot by Christian "Card-Shark" Schenk

Soothsayer

I've just taken delivery of this beautiful tarot deck and I think it may well be my favourite out of all my tarot decks (I only own nine decks). It is based on Lo Scarabeo's Mittelalter tarot deck. You can see the Medieval tarot deck here (Adobe Acrobat document)...

http://www.card-shark.de/bilder/Tarot-Overview-small.pdf

The back design is also very nice. As the deck is aimed primarily at magicians, the backs are marked but these are extremely subtle indeed; even when you know where to look, the marks can be quite difficult to see, especially in dim lighting. The deck has been artificially aged to give it a vintage look; this is probably an acquired taste, but I love it. The cards are quite small (60x110mm) which is great as I have small-medium hands. Excellent quality, too.

rwcarter

Looks to me like they took the images from the Lo Scarabeo Medieval Tarot, removed the borders, added a new background, aged the images and added English and German titles for the cards. They also added the number of the card onto the image since those numbers were originally in the borders. "(B)ased on" appears to be a generous way of putting it....

Soothsayer

I've not seen LS's deck so wasn't aware of that. Be that as it may, it is still a very nice deck in its own right. (In my opinion, of course).

Aulruna

Is this a legal version? The main images are identical to the LS deck:
http://www.albideuter.de/html/medieval-tarot.html

and as they are new images, not reproductions of an actual historical deck, it would be surprising to have another version out so soon after the first one...

Bernice

Agreed, the images are identical. I've got the LS deck.

Bee :)

RiccardoLS

The deck is legitimate.

I think the story is something like this... that the person got the rights from one of our distributor, that asked to us but not officially... well anyway once we found the person was in good faith and good will and was doing an interesting thing, we were happy. I think there is a second deck that he tweaked to make a stage magician deck.
Very funny :)

ric

WolfSpirit

Thanks for clearing that up Ric :)
I like the look of this deck, I think the borders are very nice.
Soothsayer, can you give us a link where we can get this deck ?

ETA: oh I found it, there is a card-shark website.
They have a lot of fun stuff :D

Soothsayer

Yes, Card-Shark's website is very nice. Lots of tempting goodies on offer. His products are of exceptionally high quality.

http://www.card-shark.de

Aerin

It's gorgeous.

But I wouldn't want a reading from someone using this deck if I didn't know and trust them...;)

Aerin

Cerulean

Wow, and there's also 'alternative' cards...

I like the idea of being able to use this deck for 'storytelling'...I took a look at the English-language version of the website and saw there are additional cards to the original 78 you could order for this 'trick/storytelling' experience.

If anyone orders the additional cards or uses this in that kind of venue...wow, I'd love to hear the experience!

Thanks for posting about a different tarot deck. I'd seen some Rider Waite style magic decks posted long long time ago on e-bay--but haven't encountered many nice 'magic' decks with subtle looking or different images.

I was looking for a birthday present, and I think this will be great!

Cerulean