The Moon as a lover

Ana's Song

willowfox said:
Enchanting, deep, vamperic.
willowfox - vampiric in the sense of being pale, broody, drinks blood :) or vampiric as in emotionally high maintenance and just NEEDS a lot of attention from the other lover?

omnislashed

Definitely a thrilling dynamic, but perpetually elusive. This harbors its benefits and its detriments. From one perspective, it maintains that deliciously nerve-wracking "butterfly" sensation that drives people into poetic madness. From another perspective, you'll never quite comprehend where you stand with this person.

The connection is deep, primarily resonating throughout the subconscious, and it's so phenomenally deep that it's virtually impossible to grasp on a tangible level. It's just there. I've produced this card whenever I've experienced a mutual attraction that was enormously powerful yet ridiculously irrational (we're not typically drawn to eachother's respective "types", there's no logical explanation why the attraction exists, I would otherwise find this person uninteresting and unattractive, everything happened under bizarre circumstances, etc.)

Looking at the Shadowscapes image (I wish I could see this in better quality) ... It appears like the woman is staring into a mask. This reinforces the "deliciously dramatic yet mind-bogglingly nebulous" message. As though the person is contemplating whether [she] needs the masquerade party, but damn if it isn't exciting to experiment with its implications, to explore which colorful emotions it dredges up...

For some reason, I glimpse at this image and generate that quote: "Life imitates art, more than art imitates life." In other words, this person as a lover? Is definitely a dramatist. Their motives might be positive, but they'll always project that alluring element of bewilderment, leaving you with a dizzying sensation of "This is awesome, but WTF?"

Ana's Song

Hi omni, I was hoping you'd drop off your two cents and as usual your eloquence made me smile.

omnislashed said:
[snip]I've produced this card whenever I've experienced a mutual attraction that was enormously powerful yet ridiculously irrational (we're not typically drawn to eachother's respective "types", there's no logical explanation why the attraction exists, I would otherwise find this person uninteresting and unattractive, everything happened under bizarre circumstances, etc.)
Well I've just looked at the image again and the author's notes include comments on the magical faerie mushroom ring, I guess the mushrooms could point to the what I'd image to be an almost-drug-induced vibe around this irrational attraction?

omnislashed said:
Looking at the Shadowscapes image (I wish I could see this in better quality) ... It appears like the woman is staring into a mask. This reinforces the "deliciously dramatic yet mind-bogglingly nebulous" message. As though the person is contemplating whether [she] needs the masquerade party, but damn if it isn't exciting to experiment with its implications, to explore which colorful emotions it dredges up...
That image is already bigger than what I have on my card. The author has published a book on majors with full-size colour plates, and is working on one for the minors - I'll buy the complete set when she's done with them. Might save my eyesight. But yes the lady is looking into the horned mask that she's holding in her right hand - the dexter side = the honourable side in heraldry, whilst in her left hand she's wrapped a gemstone heart in the palm of her hand - the sinister side = ominous/sign of trouble/unfavourable etc.

omnislashed said:
For some reason, I glimpse at this image and generate that quote: "Life imitates art, more than art imitates life." In other words, this person as a lover? Is definitely a dramatist. Their motives might be positive, but they'll always project that alluring element of bewilderment, leaving you with a dizzying sensation of "This is awesome, but WTF?"
But you'll still be drawn in and remember the Moon lover even after things have run their course? :) I suppose moonbeams are elusive but it doesn't prevent you from trying to chase them down!

Ana's Song

More on the dexter side

Google is indeed king - here is an excerpt from the book cover of The Sinister Side: How left-right symbolism shaped Western art by James Hall:
The left side, in part because of the presence of the heart, became the side that represented authentic human feelings, especially love.
Now one possible reason for the Shadowscapes author to place the heart in the left hand of the Moon lady becomes clear...

SirRushing

It could also mean that your lover is a creative and artistic type. You could be seeing a writer, actor, musician, painter, etc. Someone who lives in the world of imagination.

omnislashed

Hi omni, I was hoping you'd drop off your two cents and as usual your eloquence made me smile.
Awww! Much appreciated.

Well I've just looked at the image again and the author's notes include comments on the magical faerie mushroom ring, I guess the mushrooms could point to the what I'd image to be an almost-drug-induced vibe around this irrational attraction?
Sure, and I suppose "drug-induced" could be conceptualized as both literal and metaphorical here. What remains implicit, from my perspective, is that the euphoria and bewilderment symbolized by the Moon is irrational and formless by nature; it's depth can only be traced back into murky subterranean sources. I'm not trying to describe this melodramatically myself, but suffice to say, the sensations triggered are ... melodious in a perplexing way. What differentiates them from histrionic people is that "Moon Lovers" do possess genuine depth, rather than merely exhibiting shallow performances. It's just easier to get swept within the hypnotic production, because it's so compellingly intriguing. Gravity? Who needs it!

But you'll still be drawn in and remember the Moon lover even after things have run their course? I suppose moonbeams are elusive but it doesn't prevent you from trying to chase them down!
I believe so. A Moon lover might intentionally embody these elements within the masquerade party, or they might simply believe the magnitude of their enamour is most adequately conveyed through theatrical flair. Quite beguiling indeed, but it's virtually impossible to find any solidity alongside these people (unless this particular Moon lover additionally collects Pentacles like Pokemon. ;))

nisaba

Melanchollic said:
The Moon is the classic symbol of inconstancy, fickleness, and instability.

From a 13th century Latin poem -

O Fortuna,
Velut Luna
Statu variabilis,
Semper crescis
Aut decrescis...

O Catullus!

I walk around under sunlight a lot, under street-lights sometimes, and under moonlight occasionally. Moonlight is the most sacred-feeling of them. Under moonlight, I am my purest self. Under moonlight eveyrthing looks different. Is this the "illusion" we usually associate with this card - or is it the elusive heart of truth that we so rarely see?

amateur

He has a second, hidden life...OR he is married and cheating???

Jaqueline

nisaba said:
or is it the elusive heart of truth that we so rarely see?

yes - in the cover of darkness, we "get real" - I like this

Bernice

Ana's Song said:
I was wondering how you would interpret drawing The Moon to describe someone as a lover. I used the Shadowscapes deck and as I incorporate card images into my interpretations, here it is.

All I can think of is someone who is insecure and is a bit dreamy where the relationship is concerned (perhaps envisioning marriage when the couple hasn't even gotten past first base lol). Or someone who can be emotionally draining due to neediness.
hmm....... I see what you mean. My own intepretation of the Moon card is, 'inconstancy'. Flutuation etc. But if you're into the modern Rider-Waite ideas for the tarot images, then I can see that 'dreamy' and 'emotionally draining' might fit the bill.

Bee :)