The Moon as a lover

Ana's Song

I was wondering how you would interpret drawing The Moon to describe someone as a lover. I used the Shadowscapes deck and as I incorporate card images into my interpretations, here it is.

All I can think of is someone who is insecure and is a bit dreamy where the relationship is concerned (perhaps envisioning marriage when the couple hasn't even gotten past first base lol). Or someone who can be emotionally draining due to neediness.

Chiriku

That's a really juicy rendition of the Moon. One of the most interesting I've ever seen.

Too bad my squinty nearsightedness makes it difficult for me to make out the fine details. Is that a bandanged and wounded hand she's holding up?

If so, it's interesting how she's so focused on the mask in her other hand, to the point that she doesn't even see the wound.

Makes me think that a lover signified by this card would be so caught up in his or her fantasies, illusions, or navel-gazing that s/he would be inattentive to any mundane realities, challenges or problems with her relationship or partner.

GoddessArtemis

Moody, changeable, deep, secretive, confused, emotional, comes/goes, deceptive, keeps things in the dark.

GA

Reverie

Ana's Song said:
I was wondering how you would interpret drawing The Moon to describe someone as a lover. I used the Shadowscapes deck and as I incorporate card images into my interpretations, here it is.

I'd be sort of excited about a moon lover... lol!
Perhaps this is someone who is very knowledgeable about female sensuality and arouses deep desires and instincts. The moon is associated with woman afterall.

Quite curious :)

PAMUYA

I don't think this person would be there for you, a great lover in your mind only. Only out to please themselves, you see them differently than they really are, your fanasties of the act are much better than the reality of the actual sex itself.

Jaqueline

I don't have alot to add to what has already been said about the Moon/lover question - but - the artwork of that deck is just beautiful!!! (I love the World card) I also like her brief but concise descriptions.

Melanchollic

The Moon is the classic symbol of inconstancy, fickleness, and instability.

From a 13th century Latin poem -

O Fortuna,
Velut Luna
Statu variabilis,
Semper crescis
Aut decrescis...

O Fortune,
Like the Moon
Ever changing,
Always waxing
Always waning...

SirRushing

Highly emotional love like head over heels in love where the person is kind of in love with love and don't really see the person for who they are. They are in fantasy world.

Or a love base on fear and scaring each other. From personal experience I got this card due to me being shy, introverted and inexperienced with sex. One guy I had a relationship with liked being with me only because I was shy and was intimidated by his sexual experience. He only got turned on sexually when I feared him sexually which let him be the sexually dominate one in the relationship where I was submissive, but as I became more sexually experienced and started to exert my sexually, he was extremely turned off where he didn't want to have sex, or a romantic non-sexual intimate relationship with me at all. He moved on to someone else.

So I can see this as a lover who sexually gets their rocks off with having a dominate, maybe abusive lover scaring them. Or a lover, who likes to dominate and scare their lover by fear, threats, power trips, games of domination and submission, etc.

Ana's Song

Chiriku said:
Too bad my squinty nearsightedness makes it difficult for me to make out the fine details. Is that a bandanged and wounded hand she's holding up?

If so, it's interesting how she's so focused on the mask in her other hand, to the point that she doesn't even see the wound.
Nope, it's a small red heart, maybe made of gemstone, probably tied to a stick so it can be easily held in the hand (or in this case, tied to the wrist). I see the mask as being her removing the 'outer' persona and showing the 'real' her in the moonlight.

Did a bit of Google searching on the forum and found a couple of comments on the Moon's romantic aspects in another thread:

willowfox said:
Mysterious, emotional, intriguing, mesmerizing, feminine, sultry, enticing, etc.

Thirteen said:
Very simple--because lovers have always met by the light of the moon. Back in the day, marriage was about alliances, about uniting families or gaining land/money. Parents arranged marriages. Even kings didn't marry for love. So daylight relationships were all about reason. Why this man would be a good husband. Why this woman would make a good wife.

By moonlight was how one slipped away from that wife or husband to met with a lover. A person you wanted to be with and there was no good reason for it beyond that you loved them. By moonlight was how young men met with young women who they weren't allowed to see in the daylight. By moonlight was how a poor boy would be with the rich girl otherwise out of his reach. By moonlight was how gay couples had relations when such relations were forbidden.

Even now teenagers will sneak out of the house in the dead of night to meet and be together--against their parent's wishes. And if you don't want to turn on any lights to give yourself away, then the light of the moon is the only way to find that secret meeting spot. The Moon is a friend to lovers. It is their guide, their flashlight, the light by which they can find each other, see each other's faces and bodies, yet remain hidden by the darkness and shadows and so not be found out by those who would separate them.

Interesting!

willowfox

Originally Posted by willowfox
Mysterious, emotional, intriguing, mesmerizing, feminine, sultry, enticing, etc.

Enchanting, deep, vamperic.