How do keep your tarot readings "pure"?

kimtsan

This is something I'm struggling with...personally, I believe that when I do a tarot reading and engage intuitive with the tarot cards, I need to maintain the purity of the moment. That means that it's just me, and the tarot cards, and I am reading, interpreting them, and nothing else. I am very, very, cautious about "keeping things out", especially my ego. Every single time when I worry about the results, worry if I'm going to accurate, or have some other motives or agenda as I approach the readings--the interpretations always end up awkward, off, or inapplicable. It's like my intuition is saying, "Oh, Mr. Ego is here. Nope, not doing this."

I don't know if this is a problem for you guys. Maybe it's because of my personal beliefs--I feel like I cannot afford to let my ego in or become distracted in anyway when I do a tarot reading for another person. I hold myself to that rule and ideal. Any tips to help "centre" yourself and let go of the physical and mental distractions? Or if you have similar experiences...please share with me. :)

Thanks in advance!
xoxo
Kim

Grizabella

Raise six kids. You learn to detach from chaos very efficiently that way. :p

But really, you don't live in a vacuum. It just isn't possible to shut everything out. You just can't. You learn to deal with reality better if you don't waste your energy on that. Even if you were to use one of those isolation chambers where you're suspended in water in a sightless, soundless environment, there's a mosh pit between your ears 24/7 that just will not go away.

Thoughtful

Like your reply Griz :)

Kimtsan you are worrying too much just relax or you will tie yourself up in knots and get further frustrated if the cards slap you in the face. Just be yourself. Before a reading quieten yourself down, sit comfortably and focus on the thought of reading to guide and help others, putting their concerns first. If it helps take deep breaths and then put self aside.
If you are just starting out reading l would feel its not so much ego but your own fears and nerves as to wanting to do things right, and you will, but it takes lots of practice and more practice.

Disa

I was going to ask how long you have been reading?

When I was very new at it, I felt like I needed a perfectly quiet space, a nice table cloth, candles, soothing music, etc just to learn to read. Those things did help to calm me down and center myself at that time. Now I can basically just pull the cards out and read no matter where I am.

It's a process. Everyone reads differently. Do what you need to do for now, then if something changes- it's okay to change with it :)

also_nothing

I don't think you need to worry. It's not possible to completely remove yourself from a reading - it's being processed in your brain, after all. As long as you don't let in little personal prejudices (i.e. that Knight of Wands looks kinda like the guy who didn't hold the elevator for you this morning, so this reading must be about a jerk), let your own wisdom and interpretations play a role in your reading.

Barleywine

Love what you do, deeply and passionately, and don't obsess over the details; everything else should fall into place. I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination (quite the contrary, actually; I have zero tolerance for priesthoods and scripture), but it almost felt like a "sacred calling" when I first realized I could draw meaningful insights from an arrangement of painted images, for my own enlightenment and the benefit of other people. When reading, it's just me, the "living archetypes" in the cards, and the querent. Someone would have to knock me off my chair to make me lose focus.

kimtsan

Thanks guys. I started reading two months ago, and I think you're right...I'm just thinking too much because I want to do well. I can be overly perfectionist sometimes haha. I need to recognize this as a process and every opportunity that is being presented to me is an opportunity to learn. I feel much better now. :)

Lil Red

I have to say that I have no problems, but when I first started it was insane. I had to meditate, ground and center myself, and put all my energy to my cards. When I did just one reading I was exhausted and tired. It was not fun and it left me completely drain. It was not until I stopped caring of how I did my readings and let go of all that superstitious thoughts of my head that I can read tarot anytime or letting my head go wherever it wants.
When I do readings I make sure to put my music on, sometimes eat a cake, and just being me. It helps me cause I'm not intimidated and I can use music or movies to relate in my readings.
Also, I learned to do readings when there are a lot of noises since my house is usually rowdy.

So, I can definitely say that I do not do pure tarot readings. :joke:

nisaba

This is something I'm struggling with...personally, I believe that when I do a tarot reading and engage intuitive with the tarot cards, I need to maintain the purity of the moment. That means that it's just me, and the tarot cards, and I am reading, interpreting them, and nothing else. I am very, very, cautious about "keeping things out", especially my ego.
I don't know if this is a problem for you guys. Maybe it's because of my personal beliefs--I feel like I cannot afford to let my ego in or become distracted in anyway when I do a tarot reading for another person.
<kindly> Worrying about that kind of stuff is in itself a bit of a subconscious ego-trip: "Look at me - I'm concerned with the higher things!". You'll find everything is easier of you just sit down, let go and read. When you're in the zone, ego just isn't an issue at all - it'll never even occur to you to think about it.

Raise six kids. You learn to detach from chaos very efficiently that way.

Yup. That's less of a joke than it sounds. When you've lived a full, rich life for a long time, it just isn't a problem. :)

seedcake

This is something I'm struggling with...personally, I believe that when I do a tarot reading and engage intuitive with the tarot cards, I need to maintain the purity of the moment. That means that it's just me, and the tarot cards, and I am reading, interpreting them, and nothing else. I am very, very, cautious about "keeping things out", especially my ego. Every single time when I worry about the results, worry if I'm going to accurate, or have some other motives or agenda as I approach the readings--the interpretations always end up awkward, off, or inapplicable. It's like my intuition is saying, "Oh, Mr. Ego is here. Nope, not doing this."

I don't know if this is a problem for you guys. Maybe it's because of my personal beliefs--I feel like I cannot afford to let my ego in or become distracted in anyway when I do a tarot reading for another person. I hold myself to that rule and ideal. Any tips to help "centre" yourself and let go of the physical and mental distractions? Or if you have similar experiences...please share with me. :)

Thanks in advance!
xoxo
Kim

I always have problem with it but from different angle. When you do a reading, you can get questions about problems with which you haven't struggled in your life. I started like that, it was for me a huge stress but the querent is my friend, also reading Tarot and I felt she wasn't judging me in any way. So now I find it as a very good experience and I'm very happy that I met her in my life. Anyway, when I started to read for people more close to my age, having similiar problems, I felt more connected 'cause obviously, I understood why they're asking such questions. I don't have problem to stay down to earth or my ego. Ego is ego, we need to work with it too. While reading I'm not tabula rasa, I can't disconnect with this what is around and inside of me - all those aspects are the reading, I'm putting a lot of effort, inuition, knowledge, experience etc. I believe that there's something really mystical in Tarot but when I do a reading, when I have down to earth questions like job - there's nothing mystical in it. I don't need to travel to other realms and so on. It's just life here and now.

I'm not sure if it makes sense, lol.