Books on Runes

Dexter

I have just ordered my first set of runes. I looked at many but the ones that I felt I really needed to have are made of sodelite. So I had to order them. While I'm waiting for them to come in I justed wanted to know if anyone had any recommendatons for books on runes for a beginner. I would really appreciate hearing your oppinions.

Thanks Dexter

zorya

anything by edred thorsson or kveldulf gundarsson is excellent.

theirs are not the lightest or simplest of books, but imho, are by far the best.

Umbrae

I second Zorya.

Now Edred Thorsson has a bunch of rune books out. Most are re-hashing of the same material. "Runecaster's Handbood - The Well of Wyrd" remains his best.

If you should find a copy of Northern Magic by kveldulf gundarsson...get it.

tmgrl2

Thanks for the book suggestions, Umbrae. I found Runecaster's Handbook at Amazon.com. They have a Northern Magic about Runes by a Freya Aswynn. Is that the same one?

I am just starting to explore the use of Runes.

terri

Rusty Neon

I've noticed that there are two different books with the title 'Northern Magic': one is by Aswynn, the other is by Thorsson.

I'm not sure if Gundarsson wrote a book titled 'Northern Magic', although I am may be wrong. He did write a book titled 'Teutonic Magic', however.

tmgrl2

Thanks, Rusty. I did find that other book, Teutonic Magic for $172.00 on Amazon.ca, I believe. Way too pricey for me right now. I'll start with the other one Umbrae recommended.

terri

I don't think the one I found called Northern Magic is the same, although it is about Runes.

Umbrae

Sorry sorry sorry...

It IS Teutonic Magic, by Kveldulf Gundarsson.

tmgrl2

And it is $172.00! I ordered the first one you recommended, Umbrae...

I feel I am learning so much as I plug along here toward retirement and another whole life ahead..I hope.

terri

Umbrae

After thinking on this, I had to come back and add:

Teutonic Magic is a wonderful book. It was originally published in ’67. It reads as though it may have been the uncredited ‘Source Book’ used by latter writers.

I understand that due to scarcity, the price may be prohibitive for some.

Now I had to dig through my library, and found another book that I’d picked up and had not read (cover to cover)…and you know what? It’s good…

Better than Thorsson…(if you’ve ordered Thorsson, see if you can cancel and replace).

Nordic Runes by Paul Rhys Mountfort. It’s not quite as good as the Gundarsson, but close. If you’re serious about learning runes…get both.

Seriously…even at $200 a pop…that’s not even the price of a mint Ambre Deck…

tmgrl2

Thanks, Umbrae. I am learning to put things in my shopping cart at Amazon and then wait a bit. So I deleted the other book and added in Nordic Runes which they had for about #11.00 I believe.

I have so many books since I started with Tarot. From nothing to about 40 (eek). I am not getting into Astrology (yet...I'll be that 101 that my mom was if I attempt too much) or numerology ( I love what I have from you...along with some French works that I ttranslate in bits)...

but I did buy some Runes...and I'll start with Nordic Runes. Then I can always get Gundarsson...I tucked the title away for future reference.

What is so amazing about branching out and belonging to AT is the interconnectedness of everything. I am reconnecting with so much that I used when I did color readings. Not handwriting.(LOL) Pretty hard to do online.

Even with the books I have purchased on The Tarot...some are falling by the wayside and others are becoming old friends.

I still have to read History of the Occult Tarot and A Wicked Pack of Cards...

So Nordic Runes lines up when it comes in. I go where my fancy sends me...

terri