living the tarot

DreamWalker

I recently met an elderly woman who just beamed this bright white light... I loved bathing in it and enjoyed what she shared with me, trying to soak it all in!

anyways, she has studied the tarot for many decades now... She said her greatest journey with the tarot was LIVING THE MAJOR ARCANA... She had a tarot teacher and this was one of her first assignments! what an assignment!

In order to get TRULY intune with her deck (rider-waite) she lived ONE year with each individual card of the major arcana... everyday she carried it with her, studied it, related with it in her life, learned its lessons, let it speak to her, shared it...

each year brought a new card... for 22 years... she has the cards framed in a special frame made just for this journey and she says it was some of the most intense times of her life! she used her full deck as well during this time, but there was an overlying relationship with that one card each year... it was her guide and she said she truly learned the energy and essence of each card and it helped her immensely...

Just wondered if anyone else has ever tried this!

I really am thinking about it, but to be honest I feel intimidated for some reason...

any thoughts?

catlin

Nice idea. Maybe I should try this out. Thanks for sharing with us.

BTW did she tell you how her experience was in Death, Devil and Tower years?

Sophie

I have started this following my year cards. I am half-way through my Death year...and so I do journal about it, think about what is dying & transforming in my life, compare various Death/ XIII cards, etc.

Hopefully I'll last 22 years ;)

Though I think I might have one Arcanum come back more than twice. I haven't calculated them all.

It might be interesting to do that while reading Meditations on the Tarot...

Edited to add: I must have gone through all my first 9 cards...plotted until the age of 70 (I am 38), I never go below 10 or above 19! -

Maybe the lady was in the right of it - just pick a card and live it!

BreeRose

What an amazing journey...imagine having the patience, dedication, and creativity to spend an entire year contemplating each card. That's truly humbling for me to think about, and I would love to hear this woman's stories!

Sunburst

That does sound daunting, but worthwhile. I'd like to try that, but I think I'll start with a month for each card, so I'll be more likely to stick to it... that will still take me until the Fall of 2007. After that, I might try one card per year.

Sunburst

Abigail

abigail

There is a break down with cards that can be done that brings astrology numerology and tarot together that gives a life time path through the cards, its really amazing how clear it is, (taking numerology through alchemy not the more traditional 10 we tend to think of with numerology.) it is something that spins just about everyone out when you draw up the chart to do it. Its usually the interaction of three cards that cover the year and how they interact two don’t change through a life time, sort of like born a Scorpio you remain one a life time but everything about you changes and impacts on your sign. Only the third one does as the years change. And that can then in turn become three as you break down to month and day. (The only problem I have found with doing the charts is they don’t run calendar year but March to February.)Drawing it up is similar but no where as complex as an astrology chart, it gives a great personality overview and life path as well as a few day to day issues. Anyone that has read anything I write will know I see Tarot as a tool for psychic awareness and use it as such, but this reading I do and teach as a way to do someone a reading that you don’t want to read for, it’s accurate with out being psychic or intuitive. I have had amazing results doing birth charts for new born's with it, I started doing them over seven years ago, these children are now becoming young people in their own right and its even spun me out just how clear it has been.Aghhh well that sounds about as clear as mud, but its actually really easy to do. this reading and the nine card reading running spiritual emotional and physical to find root causes of problems are great readings for self readers that are seeking clarity with out the pressure of having to feel they are *psychic* or even in tuned on the day they do them.

Enchanted

Thanks DreamWalker this thread really got me thinking...I guess someone along the line I figured that you would "live" a year with each of the major arcana as a "year card" and was just willing to go with the flow on that as a way of experiencing and really feeling each card.

However, as Helvetica points out...you actually don't, so you cannot use this method of selecting the card to spend a year with.

So I went back and calculated my year cards from birth until around 70 years of age. Now here is where I had a huge eye opener. For the first 29 years of my life I went in a cycle from Heirophant to Death. From my birthday in 2003, this all changed...I shifted to Empress to Justice (taking Justice as 11)...so effectively I had gone back two cards.

Now this really blew me away because from my 29th birthday in 2003, my whole life changed during my year with the Empress, I broke with my fiancee, someone who I had been with for 13 years and yes someone who I had "outgrown". Plus I began my journey with the tarot.

I don't know if I am grasping at straws here but this really made a whole lot of sense to me, for the last two years of my life, the Empress and the Emperor are not cards I had "lived with before" and as my life cycle changed so did my life.

Well I'm a bit spun out by this...does this happen for everyone with their year cards? Surely it must! I wonder if any one else calculates these if they can pin point the transition in the life cycle of their year cards with a major change in the way they live their life. Just a thought...

arachnophobia

My year card = the Lovers; doesn't stop me having 10 of Swords moments, though! See my blog (website below) ;-P

BreeRose

How do you figure out your "year cards?"