what does your collection say about YOU!

shadowdancer

We are in the main all readers here of cards, and probably use one deck at time (sometimes two) and get a lot of good information.

How about, looking at our own collection, and thinking about what it says about us individually, but as a collection? Does it show aspects of our personality or character? I will start off saying what I think mine says about me. It would be cool for others to do the same, or perhaps (if they are feeling brave) listing 20 of their decks and asking somebody to summarise whatg they think they indicate of that person.

I have 60 decks now, and in the main they are RWS clones. I do have some from other parts of the world, such as Korea, Japan and Thailand which do follow this system, but have amazing colours and artwork. I think this indicates to me I like to follow a system, but have leaway to just look slightly either way of that particular system. I can be flexible, but not to the extent of being a total free spirit. Colour does mean a lot to me, and may indicate I do not like to have bland coverings on my walls at home. (Magnolia is turned away at the front door believe me!) Imagery without colour misses its meaning.

I have trimmed some decks which I think indicates I do not like distractions from something I am focussing on. If I actually equate this to when I am at work, I prefer working on my own away from a large office environment so that I can concentrate on the task at at hand. If it is not important I won't want to entertain it, and will go out of my way to avoid it.

My collection is housed in original boxes where possible, and then in bags. 40 of these are in one pine box in my bedroom with my spreadcloths over the top. I think this shows I like things to be in one place, where I know I can lay hands on them easily and quickly. The fact they take up a small amount of room by being housed like this, may indicate I don't like to rattle around in large areas, but prefer small and cosy instead. The fact they are covered could indicate I am a private person and do not like to reveal much of myself or my activities to others unless they are involved in the same activity.

THe other decks are in a separate box, which is used for a particular type of reading I do. I do compartmentalise, and this could indicate a personality trait. My work and home life are very different, and do not overlap. I never bring work home, and therefore have managed to keep the two separate.

My 20 decks to list:

Osho Zen
Tarot of Dreams
Druidcraft
Fey
Vargo
Gay
WItchy
Quest
Slumberland
Energy
Hanson Roberts
Robin Wood
Merryday
Arcus Arcanum
Old Path
New Vision
Cosmic
Gilded
Rose Knight
Medicine cards

Well, what do you think as an exercise? I could go on, but need to do some housework. I have listed 20 decks which do either get used a lot or are ones I am fond of.

Anybody else fancy having a look at what their 'collection' may say about them?

Davina

Milfoil

An interesting question.

I have two decks that are used for client readings and two that are pretty much to help me spiritually but I would use either of these for a client reading if I felt it was appropriate.

I have no compunction to collect any more other than a Marseille deck and that is more for study than anything else.

I guess my Golden tarot deck says that I like the established and traditional yet at the same time appreciate the richness of colour and design which mirrors the depth and diversity of life in general.

The Ironwing and Ananda help me with spiritual matters, their colouring is much more subdued and seems to fit their purpose well. The Ironwing says that I am on a Nature based spiritual journey and the Ananda a spiritual journey of world beliefs.

I guess my other decks, the historic ones say that I have an interest in the history and study of the subject.

Taken as a whole, they are not really representative of any one tradition, most are RW based, some are dramatically different in context and style so I guess this says that I like to have a mixture of everything, a little taste of all styles so to speak.

Aulruna

Cool idea, however...

... with a collection 800 I'm afraid my collection mostly outs me as a shopaholic packrat!!

Most of them are in 2 big curio cabinets with glass fronts, which probably means I like to show off ;-)
Only those who came without a proper box are in bags, and even some of them are in boxes, which I make from a template and print with pictures and deck infos like commercial boxes. This helps me keep everything organized, because with a collection of that size, it's difficult to remember the content of each bag. I'm also making tags for my bags, scrapbook-style.

Some decks I consider "collectibles only" and don't plan to look at or read with often are in big storage boxes, with a list of contents taped on the outside.

Morwenna

Little Baron

Always changing and evolving

LB

floracove

They say...

I'm very blessed to be living way down here in the south, and am very lucky to have them.
Aren't they so sweet?
I love each and every one of them!

shadowdancer

I love that response floracove :D

Heck if mine really did speak it would probably be along the lines of "Let me out of here!!"

They are all shoulder to shoulder in the pine box, with not a lot of room for manouvre. I think because I have the cloths over them they might also be saying "Who keeps turning this darned light off on us!!"

I just hope they all get on with each other. SHould I put the Korean decks all together so they can chat amongst themselves?

:D

memries

Mine seem to be shoved anywhere.. don't have that many but the collection seems to keep growing. I do have one small cabinet with quite a few in it.
I really made a mistake buying bags for them all. Think I should round up all the boxes and bags and put them back together. It is getting just too unmanageable. I must be approaching about twenty. A job for today !

Fulgour

LittleBuddha said:
Always changing and evolving
Me :) too! But mine say I'm always evonging and chalving.

tarotcardrose

I have many decks

Osho Zen
Rider Waite
The Illuminated Tarot
Gilded Tarot
Bohemian Cat
Cat People
Tarot of White Cats
Enchanted Tarot
Gold Visconti Edition
Quest
Moon Oracle
Goddess Tarot (mail)
Goddess Oracle
Shakesperean Tarot
Faerie Oracle Brian Froud

Many more but I can't think right

I love regular decks, but recently I began layering comp. generated under my regular in a reading. I am lucky to have a reading room in my house. I have a large table with a dark blue velvet cloth draped over it. I have two lion statues on the table, each end. And 4 of my decks in georgeous boxes on top. I do put crystals on the boxes. I have a large Selenite sphere on the table. I don't know what they say? I like very colorful vivid, to get good visions though. I don't like plain tarot. I can't see anything with them. The illuminated is what I pro. read with. I love faeries. So, I think I am more whimsical. I am getting the Waking Wild Spirit in the mail today, so....

shadowdancer

I think the original intention of my posting this thread has somewhat got lost... :)

So come on guys, those of you who have posted, what do you think your collections and set up etc say about your personality or character?

If you were 'reading' the collection, as if in the third person, what would you say?

davina