Crystal Ball

thinbuddha

Helvetica's post about her obsidian mirror as well as other references to scrying have led me on a path that has resulted in me being gifted with a natural quartz crystal ball. It is about 4 inches in diameter, and fairly clear for a natural crystal ball- no small gift, I know.

So here I am- a complete novice wanting to scry. Does anyone have any input? There sems to be such a lot of contradictory suggestions out there as to how to scry. Does anyone here do this successfully? Any suggestions for the newbie?

Thanks

-tb

sharpchick

I'd just give you the same advice I did Helvetica in her thread on the obsidian scrying mirror.

I've not tried scrying with clear or opaque stones. I would think your candles would need to be at some distance in order to keep from seeing the actual flame and being distracted by it.

I'm sure there are others who use quartz to scry in though - and my guess is they will be along soon enough.

celticnoodle

thinbuddha, i am certaintly not an expert, but a novice, like you. however, i was told of a great book on crystal ball reading, (though, i've yet to purchase it!) and maybe you should check it out. It is called "Crystal Ball Gazing" 'The complete guide to choosing and reading your crystal ball' by Uma Silbey.

I know it is available at Amazon.com and is not very expensive. In fact, last time i checked it out there on amazon.com, you were able to access the first few pages to read, and it did seem to very thorough.

I have not yet ordered a copy, because whenever I get some extra money, it seems to find it's way to yet another tarot book first!

If you do purchase this book though, and find it useful, I'd be grateful if you could let me know. Maybe Santa will give it to me for Christmas! :)

thinbuddha

celticnoodle said:
It is called "Crystal Ball Gazing" 'The complete guide to choosing and reading your crystal ball' by Uma Silbey.

Thanks for the second hand reccomendation. I have seen that book and others on Amazon, but been reluctant to buy because, well, so many books on related subjects turn out to be empty fluff. Maybe I'll check it out since you heard it was good.

However-

I really do wonder if there is much that a book (or other forum member) can teach us.... It seems to me, from the little information that I've been able to find, that scrying is really something personal that you have to learn from personal experience. I base this partially on all the wildly different suggestions i've found on the web (many contradict each other on several points).

Is it that someone can point you in the right direction, but you still have to make your own path, or can there really be a step by step guide? I certainly don't know the answer to that question- I'm not even sure if it is a valid question at this point as it is based on a lot of speculation on my part. Still, it's something to think about.

-tb

huredriel

I've got a scrying mirror and clear quartz crystal ball ...... haven't seen anything in either yet. However, that's probably because I don't practice enough! I've seen it mentioned that you should practice about once a day ...... for up to 10-15 mins.

Hope that helps :)

x Huredriel

Briar Rose

Sometimes during the scrying you don't actually *see* anything vivid, like a movie picture. Mostly it's going to be a strong intuition that you'll *see* in your mind's eye, or feel with every inch of your bones! If you scry, be sure to ask out loud first for a message to come your way, be open.

Maybe when you sleep, what's on your mind first thing might be the answers you are seeking.

So many objects can be used for scrying. I bet so many of us are very intuitive, scry, and aren't aware and thought we just blanked out for a minute! Like the times we stare at an object while waiting in line, or daydreaming, looking into something shiney. Couldn't that be a form of scrying? Then all of the sudden we think~ I just brainstormed this idea...and all the while it was scrying that brought the idea to us.

Does this makes sense?

Keep me posted. I love to hear about scrying.

Alissa

thinbuddha said:
I really do wonder if there is much that a book (or other forum member) can teach us.... It seems to me, from the little information that I've been able to find, that scrying is really something personal that you have to learn from personal experience.
-tb
Well, that's why I haven't popped on. How do you teach someone to laugh... you don't. They just laugh, or they don't. Scrying is so intimate that way.

I just got my very first crystall ball, it's just like yours tb, a 4" clear crystal sphere. My best friend Autumn has been crystal reading for years and years, she's a natural, and she bought me mine for my birthday. I've only started using it, but thus far, I totally agree with what you said. The symbols are personal. The things you see and what intuitive jumps you make? That's so personal.

If I had to equate it with anything, it's like when I read Tarot and I let my eye gaze over the card without focusing. I just stop looking in order to really See. A flower might "pop" at me, or maybe something funny about the man's shoe... and then those symbols mean something else ("Have you just come back from a trip or vacation? Travel of some sort?")

In general, I've noticed that the candle suggestion given above is great - the hard thing is getting over the glare and the reflections on the surface of the ball. I hunch over the ball and put it on a solid (dark) background - I used my sweatshirt jacket one day, doesn't have to be fancy schmancy. But that helped me to see into the ball, instead of looking at all the crazy stuff on top (if that makes sense).

Lastly, Autumn and I did an "exercise" together, in case you have someone you want to try this with. She put an image in the ball, and I'd see if I could get it. It was so cool! As I looked into the ball, I could see a white flower, with black spaces between the petals, and there was this large middle part to the flower, like a huge black-eyed susan, it stood way way up from the petals.

I described what I saw to her, and Autumn laughed. She had put the image of a whirling dervish in the ball, wearing white with the black panels.... So cool! Now, did I get dervish? No. Did I get something? Oh yea!

When we tried the reverse, me putting an image in... Autumn defaulted into reading mode and gave me a reading when she looked in (grins).

Enjoy it and remember to play! Have fun! :D

Galatea

What do you think about those fused quartz crystal balls as opposed to the natural quartz?

Does anybody know a good place to buy large crystal balls, 8 inches or so?

thinbuddha

Thanks for the long post Alissa. I prettymuch thought that I would have to discover for myself- even if there was a good book to read, it probably can't help me get where I need to be.

Galatea said:
Does anybody know a good place to buy large crystal balls, 8 inches or so?

I've seen fairly large fused quartz balls on ebay for cheap prices. I have a friend that has a *huge* natural crystal ball. I think it must be 12 inches or so (it's been a while since I've seen it). I do know that he paid "over $3000" for it- which is out of my league. The fused quartz balls are much cheaper, and can probably be found in a similar size for lesss than $300.

Just from looking around the web, some people seem to prefer fused quartz over natural quartz because they are completely clear, while others prefer the patterns that the natural quartz inclusions make. I prefer the natural myself--- but I haven't scryed, so take that for what it's worth.

-tb

Little Baron

I only have a clear ball. But it is just glass, I think. My Dad bought it for me. It is not really big but bigger than some I have seen. Does anyone use one like that?

LB