1JJ for "best ever" deck

Vesper

Le Fanu said:
Thus speaks someone who has never seen the Tapestry Tarot with its endearing rope collage.

Looks like something I pulled out of my dryer's lint drawer, and drew a face on! I take it back about the IJJ being the ugliest.

Actually, the IJJ's artwork is alright with me. But the colors hurt my soul.

Mabuse

The 1JJ calls a spade a spade

Le Fanu said:
The 1JJ calls a spade a spade.
But it's a Latin suited deck! Those are swords! Sorry couldn't resist.

Le Fanu

*not rising to the joke...*
evelone said:
Actually, the IJJ's artwork is alright with me. But the colors hurt my soul.
Don't you think it would be great if U.S Games did a recoloured anniversary edition, with more delicate colouring? I can imagine the 1JJ Swiss looking even more stunning. Imagine it coloured á la Soprafino and different backs!

cardlady22

*swoon* Le Fanu, you have the Best ideas . . . now that's a campaign I would throw myself into with rapture!

Vesper

Yes, to the recolored version. And I would wish it to have a very minimal varnish. Or none at all. And a real little white book with some substance, so people with the Fear of Pips could get over it.

Debra

Brilliant idea!

Shall we write to Stuart Kaplan at US Games? And when I say "we," I mean, maybe someone could pen a nice letter and others could sign in agreement?

Le Fanu

Debra said:
Brilliant idea!

Shall we write to Stuart Kaplan at US Games? And when I say "we," I mean, maybe someone could pen a nice letter and others could sign in agreement?
What has always intrigued me about this deck is that there is (I have seen scans) a beautifully coloured antique version. I always forget exactly when this deck dates from, but it is due for a recolouring/restoration. And for reinstating this deck where it belongs in the pantheon of significant tarot decks (you can put that in the letter!) Wasn't it the first tarot deck that Stuart Kaplan had printed under U.S Games?

I don't quite know what else we could argue - apart from this. I'd be intrigued to know just how much it sells now compared to say 10, 15, 25 years ago.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
What has always intrigued me about this deck is that there is (I have seen scans) a beautifully coloured antique version. I always forget exactly when this deck dates from, but it is due for a recolouring/restoration. And for reinstating this deck where it belongs in the pantheon of significant tarot decks (you can put that in the letter!) Wasn't it the first tarot deck that Stuart Kaplan had printed under U.S Games?

I don't quite know what else we could argue - apart from this. I'd be intrigued to know just how much it sells now compared to say 10, 15, 25 years ago.
Yes it WAS Kaplan's inspiration. As has been said. And deserves to win for kicking off the "industry" we all enjoy :D EVEN by those who think it's ugly.

Mabuse

Swiss 1JJ was used by Marlene Dietrich in the 1950's!

Interesting bit of trivia here: Before Kaplan discovered these cards in 1968, they were used by Dietrich's card reading character in Orson Welle's 1958 film noir classic Touch of Evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWtAZwxK5H0

Major Tom

OK. I'm a Marseilles kind of guy. AND I haven't voted. I have to admit to a lot of resistance to calling the 1JJ Swiss the best deck of all time. Nice as it would be to have a 'Marseilles' deck on the list.

While I'm confessing, let me relate my earliest experience with the 1JJ Swiss. There I was, 10 years old and visiting my grandparents at their house in Manhatten Beach. Somehow I was left on my own in the front room with nothing much to do. I went through the cupboards in the side table and discovered stacks of decks of playing cards with pretty pictures. Among them was the 1JJ Swiss. It was the first tarot deck I ever saw. I spend hours going through those cards.

Does that make it the 'best ever'?