1JJ Swiss

Little Baron

I usually use my Marseille for readings, but have switched for a bit, to the 1JJ Swiss. I apply very similar interpretation to the cards so it is not such a difference - just fancied a variation. And I do like the colours and courts in this deck. The only thing I am not struck on is Juno. Not keen on the image or the change of character (Jupiter doesn't bother me so much). My other peev is that the titles are in English, but for now that does not bother too much. But I love the non-scenic pips. Getting sooo much out of both them and the Hadar's suit cards. Learning is fun again!

Does anyone ever read with the 1JJ? This is one of the first tarot decks I ever saw so it is quite special for me. When it is laid out, it feels more 'mysterious' and 'real' than many other decks - I think that is because I couldn't read with it when I first saw it. At that time, I had my RWS and the two seemed to have little comparison in my 'newbie' eyes.

Interested on others experiences with this deck.

Best, LB

P.S. If anyone can help me with the Junon and Jupiter cards, that would be great. Right now, I interpret in the same way as I would 'La Papesse' and 'Le Pape'.

Moongold

Little Buddha ~ I almost bought this deck myself a few weeks ago an then decided not to because I'm not a collector and have enough to learn with what I have already :).

But in the course of my decision making I found a few reviews including this one by Lee. There are other reviews obtainable through Google as well.

Little Baron

Thanks Moongold.

I really like the pips in this deck. So nice and strong - especially the batons, which I don't like so much in many other pip decks. These ones burst with energy.

Cheers for the review. I think Lee is my 'tarot guardian angel' at the moment. He helped me with the Louttre B, he assists me with my numerolgy and now he pops up to give a hand on the 1JJ without even knowing it, lol.

The courts really look alike in this deck but subtle differences are there, if you need them. I always check out the Knight of Cups or Coupe Chevalier in a new deck. I am very satisfied with this one. I see the usual charming soul but in this depiction, there is a slight element of whether he can 'cut the mustard' and stay the distance, which I like.

The colours are my absolute favourite thing about this deck, though.

Have included a few batons and my favourite knight.

LB

Edited to add: Stupid comment really, but I never realised that the tartan backs actually match up in patern if you place them side by side.

Attachments

• 1jj.jpg
    1jj.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 129

Little Baron

And a few more.

I think that anyone that says that pip decks are un-inspiring, un-illustrated or are boring, need to see the beautiful images of a deck like this.

LB

Attachments

• 1jj2.jpg
    1jj2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 157

Little Baron

I really like this Lovers card.

The Fool is quite a good one because he appears to be a wild card, as apose to someone who is having 'a journey'. This Fool, I feel, is more appropriate because he just pops up amongst the card with no background or agenda.

LB

Attachments

• 1jj3.jpg
    1jj3.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 126

Moongold

Ah ......Little Buddha ...... please stop tempting :D.

I thought I had overcome mydesire for this deck!

But the Marseille pips are lovely also.

Little Baron

Moongold said:
But the Marseille pips are lovely also.

I love these pips a lot - even though, the cups are usually my most favourite suit, but in this deck, they are not - they are a little weaker looking than the nice sturdy Marseille ones.

I am going to read with this deck as an alternative for a while, as it feels just right for now, but on the whole, I think that the less complicated Marseille pips are clearer to read.

Is it the Fournier that you use Moongold? Those pips are very pretty. Even though colour was not an initial Marseille characteristic, I very much like the addition in that deck - the way suit colours move through readings - the nice silky greens and royal blues.

It just shows you how important colour is, doesn't it, when it comes to decks.
LB

Moongold

Yes ..... the colours in the Fournier Marseille pips are just beautiful.

The Fournier was the deck which made the Marseille accessible to me, Little Buddha. I still love it, though I am really looking forward to getting my Grimaud from Song Deva and my new Heron Conver from Tarot Garden. Lee was actually the person who suggested the Fournier, and I too am grateful to him.

Enjoy your fulsome IJJ :D. It is not too unlike the Marseille, except for Juno and Jupiter!

Abrac

Hi LittleBuddha,

I've never read with this deck so I can't add anything there, but I'm in total agreement that this is a very beautiful and enigmatic deck. I purchased it a few months ago and it has quickly climbed to the top of my favorites list.

One thing I've learned about Juno concerns the peacock. It is sacred to Juno(and also to Hera, Juno's Greek mythological counterpart). I believe the peacock holds a major key to fully understanding Juno.

-fof

Little Baron

Oh, Moongold .. you will love your new editions. I have the Gimaud, which is a great working deck. And I have a Thunderbay Conver, which is a very cheap, but practical pack. At the moment, aside from the 1JJ, I am using the Hadar. That one never really did it for me before, but it seems, with perseverance, to have broken itself in now. I think that while I was fishing around and looking at different decks, I must have pulled the Hadar out inbetween each experience, because it's images seem to be the standard to me. I have managed, for the most of it, to completely forget the RWS imagery, which is so refreshing.

And I do like the Fournier too. I would be interested to see how the other two compare in your mind. I love the pips of the Fournier, even though I have not used it so much, but was never that keen on the majors, as the artwork seemed 'not' as stark as it ought to be. But I agree that it is a good deck to get someone into the Marseille tradition. It creates a bridge for those who require a less brash medium to work with.

Thanks FoF for the 1JJ details. Why have you not read with the deck yet, out of interest?

LB