2006 Favourite deck votes

Papageno

you can't compare this to the music awards because the music and film awards have extensive categories. the AT voters have only 2 categories to choose from which yield very undemocratic results and are not representative of reality.

Nina*

Of course a lot of us (I guess) would vote for one of the classics (TdM, RWS or Thoth) for all times best; many of us have different favorites we use (and which often change every week, month, year, whatever) but we also know that in the end we would probably turn to one of the above (like if we could only have one deck).

Maybe we should vote for:
Favorite Classic (that should also make it more possible for the TdM to win ;) )
Favorite Non-classic
Favorite New

:)

Little Baron

trismegistus said:
you can't compare this to the music awards because the music and film awards have extensive categories. the AT voters have only 2 categories to choose from which yield very undemocratic results and are not representative of reality.

I am comparing it to two different awards within - lifetime achievement and best 'newcomer' of the year. No more, no less. Didn't have to be music. What I was trying to explain, by using a different example, is that I wouldn't expect to see the newcomer scraping up the lifetime achievement award. Does that make sense?

LB

Papageno

Nina* said:
Of course a lot of us (I guess) would vote for one of the classics (TdM, RWS or Thoth) for all times best; many of us have different favorites we use (and which often change every week, month, year, whatever) but we also know that in the end we would probably turn to one of the above (like if we could only have one deck).

Maybe we should vote for:
Favorite Classic (that should also make it more possible for the TdM to win ;) )
Favorite Non-classic
Favorite New

:)

I don't agree at all with the "best deck of all time" category.
Even the music and film industry understand this is impossible.

AT should have a annual vote on individual artists for their contribution to the art of tarot. and I still say there should be categories for 78 and 22 card editions.
also have categories for best artistic and decks considered most readible.
why not have best Marseilles-type which would include all variants, best Thoth decks and of course best RWS variants. and then you must have a category for the decks that don't fit into any of the major 3 schools ie. Alchemical themes and everything else.

Papageno

LittleBuddha said:
I am comparing it to two different awards within - lifetime achievement and best 'newcomer' of the year. No more, no less. Didn't have to be music. What I was trying to explain, by using a different example, is that I wouldn't expect to see the newcomer scraping up the lifetime achievement award. Does that make sense?

LB

I understand what you're saying. I just think there should be an entirely revamped structure to the vote, that will solve a lot of disputes and inequities.

Nina*

trismegistus said:
I don't agree at all with the "best deck of all time" category.
Even the music and film industry understand this is impossible.

AT should have a annual vote on individual artists for their contribution to the art of tarot. and I still say there should be categories for 78 and 22 card editions.
also have categories for best artistic and decks considered most readible.
why not have best Marseilles-type which would include all variants, best Thoth decks and of course best RWS variants. and then you must have a category for the decks that don't fit into any of the major 3 schools ie. Alchemical themes and everything else.
I don't think that would show what the best deck is... If you should vote for, for instance, the best RWS variant the 'real' RWS wouldn't really stand a chance (considering exactly how many clones there are) and I'm still sure it could win if compared only with other classics.
I've seen a lot of people (myself included) having lots of RWS variant favorites, but given the choice to keep only ONE deck a lot would actually choose the RWS after all.

Little Baron

As it stands, I can appreciate what you mean. It is a little difficult to accomodate for so many views - especially when there are so many carorgaries that are not being taken into account.
Also, everyone has a right to vote. As much as some members will have extensive knowledge and experience of decks, there will be some that may have tried just the one and will vote for that. A new deck, such as The Gilded, previously, was highly popular. I can appreciate why it was deck of the year, because it did tremendously well and it's artwork was far more skilled and sophisticated than many on the market. I don't doubt that it will be around for many years and soon receive the praise of one of the older packs. I feel the same about the Tarot of Prague and the Druidcraft.

In the future, maybe a poll with a few more catorgaries is the way to go, as Nina says. If we are doing this to gain an idea of what people really appreciate then it might need to be organised a bit more thoroughly, as suggested - a section for 'Majors only', for the 'big guns' [traditions], for the newcomers, for best art, for readability etc etc. Otherwise, if it is just a random poll where we cannot actually decide what the word 'best' means [does it mean favourite or is it the one we think if worthy or a lifetime achievement], then what is the point of having it?

LB

Little Baron

trismegistus said:
I understand what you're saying. I just think there should be an entirely revamped structure to the vote, that will solve a lot of disputes and inequities.

Haha. I see we were both just saying the same thing and posting at the same time. Yes I agree Trismegistus.

LB

Papageno

Nina* said:
I don't think that would show what the best deck is... If you should vote for, for instance, the best RWS variant the 'real' RWS wouldn't really stand a chance (considering exactly how many clones there are) and I'm still sure it could win if compared only with other classics.
I've seen a lot of people (myself included) having lots of RWS variant favorites, but given the choice to keep only ONE deck a lot would actually choose the RWS after all.

sorry I wasn't being clear. I didn't mean to imply that only variants would be voted on. for instance the original RWS would certainly top the list in the RWS category along with all the variants. we could call it the "clone wars vote" :laugh:

Nina*

trismegistus said:
sorry I wasn't being clear. I didn't mean to imply that only variants would be voted on. for instance the original RWS would certainly top the list in the RWS category along with all the variants. we could call it the "clone wars vote" :laugh:
:D I'd like that!

I'm still not sure we agree though (not that we have to, of course ;) ); I actually think, if you should vote for the RWS *together* with all it's clones it wouldn't necessarily win, because then there's yet another fancy new deck on the market which will get the votes... I think it should be voted for together with the other classics.