If there's someone you can't read for---

Grizabella

This question was prompted by some comments in lark's thread and some others I've noticed here and there, but I'm wondering about what pro readers do about it.

If you've had someone come to you for a reading, found you had distinct "vibes" that prevented your reading for them, refunded their money, and then they come to you for another reading at which time you feel "oh no, here we go again, same negative vibes", what do you do? Do you politely try reading for them again and then send them on their way, or do you tell them you don't think you're compatible with them in general and that you recommend they find another reader in the future?

linabeet

I believe part of professionality is being able to admit when it isn't right and not do the readings.

I've done a few readings for pay that I wish in retrospect I hadn't, for various readings. Live and Learn. With these intuitive arts, you have to listen to and honour your intuition right?

How to deliver ths info is personal I think. I will be curious to hear people's ideas on how to deliver the - not with me you don't - line.

Major Tom

Is professionality anything like personality? :p

Lyric said:
If you've had someone come to you for a reading, found you had distinct "vibes" that prevented your reading for them, refunded their money, and then they come to you for another reading at which time you feel "oh no, here we go again, same negative vibes", what do you do?

Some things can be over analysed. This particular situation has never happened to me, but I can't see that I would handle it any differently than I would have in the first instance. I don't think I'd ever turn anyone away 'forever'.

I have had folks for whom I've recommended they visit another reader come back to me with no further problems. ;)

Everyone will cope with this in their own unique way.

Grizabella

I think I'd do the reading again, but I just wondered what everyone else thought about it. I think, though, if it were someone really obnoxious who was obviously out to just give me a bad time, I'd have definite trouble going ahead and playing the game with them.

Umbrae

I don’t believe there’s anybody you can’t read for.

If…everybody is a blessed life form, and/or created in God’s image, or ‘do good unto all’, or (must I continue?)…

The vibe’s most likely in me. I’m in a pissy mood, or I don’t like the hair, or I don’t like the whatever…as a professional – I’d best get over it. Like I keep saying, it ain’t about me.

If they need a reading…I’d best ground, center, and get my head out of my patootie so I can do what it is I’m supposed to be doing with the interaction.

Now if they are sitting down specifically to twist my wires, that’s their issue – not mine. I still have to give them the best reading ever – so that perhaps after they walk away…they ‘get’ what they came for.

Cuz this reading thing? It ain’t about me – or you – I mean think about this…

What if…

What if God sends you the one person you’re supposed to read for. They smell bad, they haven’t brushed their teeth in weeks, they’re rheumy-eyed, smell like a brewery (look like a tramp)…

…and you say… “Ohhh the vibes are all wrong…”

How would you score that one?

Alternatively, maybe the vibes are wrong cuz there’s stuff going on. Ever been around someone with Carotid Artery Disease? Where the blood to the brain is blocked? You get real strange vibes from those folks, and yeah – they’re knock knock knockin’ on heaven’s door. How about the vibe you get off someone going through Chemo? That’s way strange and very strong. How do you score that one?

If they come in and sit down before you, read for them. Read for them with all your might and soul.

While we’re at it…why DO you read Tarot (for others)?

:smoker:

Grizabella

I agree!

I personally don't believe anyone crosses our path unless they're meant to, and I believe that if we're doing readings, then if they cross our path at that moment, we're supposed to read for them if they want a reading. I don't think we're supposed to let our "self" get in the way. People who don't wash or keep their teeth nice or who shake and don't speak real legibly have greater problems than we do, so we should give thanks for our own blessings and be humble enough to say "thank you" to God for having given us the reminder of our own good fortunes by putting these people in our paths and for giving us the privilege of helping someone less fortunate. Kind of begs the question which one of us is truly the less fortunate, actually.

Besides, have you ever heard that old "some have entertained angels unawares"? Whether you're Christian or not, I still believe we get those impromptu spiritual tests in this life once in awhile.

One day we might be the ones with bad teeth and no way or no energy to shower. We never know.

But I'd still have trouble with the guy who was just obnoxious and trying to give me a hard time instead of seriously wanting a reading. Hey-------there aren't any wings sprouting outa my back.

Gayla

I say no to reading quite often...paying customers or not. I have the right to say no and I envoke that right when the 'vibes' are right so to speak or if I don't think the person is fully committed to the experience.

But, I don't depend on paying customers for my livelyhood...if I did, I would probably be more inclined to say yes, and do the best I could with it. Letting the person know about my ethics and my commitment to doing the best I can and promise to tell them if I don't know or see something clearly in the reading.

lark

You are a man Umbrae it is different sometimes for a woman reader....

I am, and I don't know how else to say this...I am an attractive, well maintained, foxy kind of lady... and for this reason I am often singled out by men who don't really want a reading, but who want to pay for a conversation with a pretty lady..now this is fine, but when the sexual comments start and you feel like you are scrambling just to maintain your dignity let alone read the cards...well that is NOT why I read.

So I disagree...there are some people who you can read your butt off for and when you look up at them they are still going to say, "Geez you've got nice boobs!
There are some sleezy, scary characters out there and a girls got to be careful and trying to remember that they are a "blessed life form" sometimes just doesn't cut it.

So no, I don't believe there are people I "can't" read for just some I don't "want" to read for.... and if that doesn't make me a professional then so be it.

Barbaras Ahajusts

lark said:
You are a man Umbrae it is different sometimes for a woman reader....
... when you look up at them they are going to say, "Geez you've got nice boobs!
...trying to remember that they are a "blessed life form" sometimes just doesn't cut it.
So no, I don't believe there are people I "can't" read for just some I don't "want" to read for.... and if that doesn't make me a professional then so be it.

YES!! I agree!!! Not everyone is an angel or even close to being polite! Saying no isn't a bad thing. Sometimes its all you have between those who are clueless & keeping those "unaware angels" at bay!

Thank you Lark...you hit this one perfectly!

Barb

Umbrae

lark said:
So I disagree...there are some people who you can read your butt off for and when you look up at them they are still going to say, "Geez you've got nice boobs!

There are some sleezy, scary characters out there and a girls got to be careful and trying to remember that they are a "blessed life form" sometimes just doesn't cut it.
You're absolutely correct. Thanks for the reminder.

Edited to add: There is an aspect brought up by Lark that I do have an eensie issue with – that only women get unwanted sexual advances. That's just plain wrong. There’s this show I’ve done for the last 5 years, where this woman (now) walks by and looks at me and says, “Oh – I see you’re still married…” and walks on by. The second year I was there she walked up and said, “I remember you, you’re the really nice guy from far away who’s married…too bad.” Women make moves on guy readers too.

Years ago I leaned that for me, a ring on the third finger of the left hand eliminates unwanted attention from women. I wore one there long before I was ever married. Yeah it works for men, but I learned the trick from a gazillion waitresses and bartenders who buy big fake wedding rings with glass ‘diamonds’.

However sexual advances and sexual predators were not the main thrust of my prior post.

My main point was about reading for others – because there may be a reason the ‘vibe's’ not right.

It could be chemo, it could be a tumor, it could be that a loved one is knocking on heaven’s door.

Now if we’re fortune-telling – then fine, send them on their way.

However if your are using Tarot for Transformational readings, if your purpose is to help others change their lives for the better…then read…don’t make excuses.

Why do you read Tarot (for others)? Your answer dictates your actions.

Fortune-teller or Transformational intercourse?

lark said:
...and with that I agree.