2009 Llewellyn deck, Wizards Tarot

FearfulSymmetry

About the art...

I saw this last night and have been mystified by the art. It doesn't strike me as 'computer art', it looks more organic to me. It definitely doesn't look like Poser figures, it looks like it was done with real models.
I've been trying to find a website for artist John Blumen to see what his media is but have had no luck. IMHO he is the real deal though, a really good artist.

I too wish mature women archetypes were more valued, but I suppose the target audience for this deck will see themselves in these girls, and they DO see themselves as professors, lol.

Alan Ross

baba-prague said:
I don't want to offend anyone so I won't say too much about the deck itself. What I will say is that it made me feel hugely relieved (not for the first time) that we said no to Llewellyn when they approached us about the Bohemian Gothic. I now fully realise what would have happened to that deck - all the really black humour and the references to disfunctional families and relationships would have gone in a flash. Instead we would have been asked to add bodice-ripper scenes and a bit of pretty blood. Lots more pecs and breasts too.
I would agree that saying no to Llewellyn was a good call. I'm still extremely...annoyed...(stronger words actually came to mind) that Llewellyn virtually ruined the beautiful Mystic Dreamer Tarot by saddling it with ugly, oversized borders, shrinking the image area to microscopic proportions.

I realize that I'm in the minority here, but I think the Wizard's Tarot still has potential to be a decent deck. I'm just very concerned about how much further Llewellyn will pull this deck in the direction of a Harry Potter ripoff. This could have been a brilliant effort if, as Scion indicated, it had been allowed to develop as a serious Wiccan-influenced deck.

Alan

Alan Ross

Aulruna said:
side note: In German folklore, mandrake has many positive properties as well. It is considered the strongest possible protective plant, also one that will grant success and fertility. It was also used for healing purposes (the Mandragorae radix variety). Maybe the authors had that in mind.
Let's also not forget about Mandrake the Magician. Perhaps a comic book magician is a more appropriate inspiration for the name of a Hogswarts magic academy knockoff.

Alan

baba-prague

FearfulSymmetry said:
I saw this last night and have been mystified by the art. It doesn't strike me as 'computer art', it looks more organic to me. It definitely doesn't look like Poser figures, it looks like it was done with real models.

It's digital photo-composition. Basically, you photograph a model and the props and then put it all together with Photoshop - including of course painting and drawing to adjust the image as needed. In this deck it's been well done - with this approach it's all in the technique as it can look dreadful or really artful. If you wander through the portfolios on Deviant Art you'll see a lot of images made with in broadly the same way. Linda Bergkvist's work is a good example - she does this kind of work with real skill.
http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=142

Aulruna

Alan Ross said:
Let's also not forget about Mandrake the Magician. Perhaps a comic book magician is a more appropriate inspiration for the name of a Hogswarts magic academy knockoff.

Alan

Oooh - he was my favourite from Defenders!! Thanks for reminding me!

Unfortunately, this sort of enforces Scion's point of taking bits and pieces from works of fantasy fiction for this deck, adding to the fluff factor.

I hope when I get home tonight I will be able to finally see the Flash trailer.

Jewel

Soothsayer said:
I think we can all agree that this is certainly one of those decks that appears to have divided opinions.
Oh good! I like getting those kinds of decks and checking them out! Goddess knows I have had to eat my words over a few decks I did not like prior to actually using them, to the then find out how off base my first impression was.

Though I agree with Scion, Baba and others, and also agree that Llewellyn has blantantly taken this deck into what I would consider grounds for HP copyright infringements (the concept), I am really curious about it and will purchase it simply out of curiousity ... wonder if they will include the CD instead of one of those organza bags, that would be nice! *LOL*.

Baba, I agree with you about what you said about the BG if you had agreed to Llewellyn publishing it, glad you declined :)

diane drizzy

In all honesty I never followed the series, but I found the figures to be attractive to the point of being distracting!
I need to be able to "read" more into my readings with a starker and minimal deck. I found myself thinking as I was looking at the images that this person looks like this actor or actress. I saw Heidi Klum several times and Elton John as Temperance, Professor of Alchemy. Not a good thing.

CorrineKenner

You found it!

I'm glad to see that the Wizards deck has been discovered here on Aeclectic! I've been working on it for two years, so it's great to get some feedback.

I thought I'd chime in to clarify some of the questions that have been raised on this thread. First, Llewellyn's marketing department hasn't influenced the concept or the design at all. Two years ago, they asked me to develop a tarot deck set at a school of magic -- but that was the full extent of their involvement. In fact, they've given me a completely free hand in creating this project; I'm the one who decided what would appear on every card.

One thing I'm really glad to see is that everyone "gets" the concept behind the deck -- because it wasn't always as obvious as it seems. I played around with a lot of different ideas before deciding that the Majors would be professors. For a while, for example, I thought that the deck could follow a single "Fool" character through every card. That idea didn't flow as well as I hoped, though. Then I thought about letting the Fool experiment with various magical lessons ... and that led to the introduction of all the archetypes as instructors.

I'm still finishing the guidebook, but it will include a detailed description of all the professor cards, followed by a brief lesson in the subject they teach. The section on the Magician, for example, will describe sacred space and standard magical principles. The section on the High Priestess will offer basic instruction in how to read tarot cards. (I'm so glad they both appear at the front of the book!)

I'd kind of like to include the names of the professors on each card, but I don't know if they'll fit. Having the titles might also be a distraction to anyone who wants to do traditional readings with the deck, too.

Most of the professors are loosely based on mythic figures -- which explains why they're preternaturally young and attractive. If I were a goddess, I'd much rather look like the Star than a frumpy, forty-something housewife in Minneapolis. It is, after all, a fantasy deck.

The Minor Arcana cards will have a distinct Rider-Waite-Smith influence, because most tarot readers use that deck as their foundation, and I wanted the Wizards Tarot to be as approachable as possible. I've added my own twist, though -- after a lot of thought, trial, and error.

I played around with the idea of having the four suits correspond to four houses at the school, but that seemed too easy. Instead, I decided to let the Minors represent students who practice the magic they've learned from the Majors. The four suits will depict students engaged in four specific types of magic -- fire magic, water magic, air magic, and earth magic -- with corresponding spells, charms, and rituals for each card. In the end, the Minor Arcana portion of the guidebook will read like a Grimoire or a Book of Shadows. I'm hoping that the book designers at Llewellyn will be able to give the text an old-fashioned, magical feel.

For a while, in fact, the working title of the deck was the "Book of Shadows Tarot." When I mentioned it to people, though, no one seemed to know what I was talking about. Everyone gets the idea of a "Wizards Tarot." (The name could change, though. Nothing is set in stone at this point.)

The Minor Arcana cards aren't done yet, which is why they're not online. The Court Cards are finished, but I haven't had time to make a video of them yet. They are amazing, though -- both because the art is gorgeous, like the Majors, but also because they tap into some truly primordial energy.

The concept I used for the Court Cards was probably the hardest part of designing the deck. For the longest time, I honestly didn't know what to do with them. Should they constitute a Board of Regents? Parents? Alumni? Donors? I was trying to force them into the "school" mold, but they just wouldn't fit. Finally, I decided to let them be the magical, elemental creatures they are -- so in the Wizards Tarot, the king, queen, prince, and princess of wands are fiery salamander beings. Their counterparts in cups are undines. The swords are sylphs, and the pentacles are gnomes. (John did an incredible job of personifying them all.) In the story of the deck, they are elemental royalty, and they assist, protect, and guard the students and the faculty alike.

I got the idea after reading that there really is a King of Gnomes, whose name seems to be Ghob. I figured that if there's a king, there's probably a queen, too ... which would lead to a prince and a princess. I've looked and looked, but I still haven't been able to learn if they've ever been named. (If you happen to know where I could find their names, will you tell me?)

I've probably rambled on long enough. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all of your comments -- even those of you who suggest that the deck is a little too lightweight for your taste. In fact, I anticipated that criticism ... that "fluffy bunny" in the Fool card is there especially for you! ;-D

-- Corrine

divinest

Corinne, thank you for explaining that lot. I can tell you now that the majors, to me at least, are truly spectacular, and I will by buying the deck once it is released, and I am already looking forward to doing readings with it. :D

midniteeye

this deck is so harry potter, in fact i wouldn't be shocked one bit if the four minor suits are named gryffindor, hufflepuff, ravenclaw, and slytherin.