2009 Llewellyn deck, Wizards Tarot

CorrineKenner

I'm afraid to even go near the question of what black "looks like." All I can give you is the pertinent part of the card description I gave to the artist:

The card should feature three main figures: The female professor of magic spells and charms — who should ooze beauty, sensuality, and sexuality, like Aphrodite, the goddess of love — and two students who seem to be polar opposites: one male, one female; one black, one white; one brunette, one blond. (Because many tarot artists depict men as dark and women as light, it might be fun to switch those roles, and make the girl black and the boy white.)

divinest

In fairness, the girl doesn't look BLACK, but she does look like an indian girl, in my opinion.

Corinne, is there going to be a chance to look at the cards individually rather than on that trailer, because it goes too fast for me, and my computer doesn't like you pausing videos online. :/

la-luna

As for name the deity game
our proffessor of ethics must be Maat

Or "prof" of transfiguration makes think of Quetzalcoatl in his phenix-like mode of regeneration after death

(ok these god(es) are multicultural but they still look very caucasion or (a bit) "mixed")

AJ

?huh?
I'd really like to think that if there was such a thing as Goddesses, being perky wouldn't be their focus. Because most of your men professors show age. Because men have advanced beyond the mirror more so than silly simpering women? Oh, I mean Goddesses?

CorrineKenner said:
Most of the professors are loosely based on mythic figures -- which explains why they're preternaturally young and attractive. If I were a goddess, I'd much rather look like the Star than a frumpy, forty-something housewife in Minneapolis. It is, after all, a fantasy deck.
-- Corrine

CorrineKenner

Yes, Ma'at is the ethics professor.

I like the Quetzalcoatl imagery, and I might try to incorporate that in the text! The Transformation card, however, is based on the myth of Proteus. Here's part of the background description for that card:

"Butterflies are a longstanding symbol of transformation, and the Proteus butterfly was named for the Greek god Proteus, who could foretell the future. However, those who wanted Proteus to perform had to overpower him first; he resisted by transforming himself into a wide range of creatures."

midniteeye

it must be really difficult for the author to absorb the fact that the majority of the replies do not have very high opinion of this deck, yet still has to respond in cordial and professional manner. however, i find it very strange that while many posters believe this deck to be harry potter-esque, the author would not even dare touching the name in her response. doesn't this actually create more doubts in the posters' mind?

magpie9

AJ said:
?huh?
I'd really like to think that if there was such a thing as Goddesses, being perky wouldn't be their focus. Because most of your men professors show age. Because men have advanced beyond the mirror more so than silly simpering women? Oh, I mean Goddesses?
I hate to tell ya, AJ, but if I had the choice of what kind of body I'd spend my Crone-hood in, it sure wouldn't be middle-aged or later, with the creaks and groans and loose slipping this and that....you can bet your booties I'd be in a nice lovely taunt young body. As to the choices men might make it that situation, I'll leave that to them.
I will point out, however, that men are viewed as manly and attractive into much greater age and decrepitude than woman are.

I consider myself an expert on this, as I am a goddess (of sorts) and I am in full Geezer Flower on this, my 65th Birthday. :D

magpie9

I think that if someone goes to all the work and trouble of creating a deck, they have the earned right to do it any way they want to. And I like the way Corrine is doing it. I really like the deck so far, and if I like the minors and courts as much as I do the majors, I will get it.

Nina*

magpie9 said:
I think that if someone goes to all the work and trouble of creating a deck, they have the earned right to do it any way they want to. And I like the way Corrine is doing it. I really like the deck so far, and if I like the minors and courts as much as I do the majors, I will get it.
I completely agree. And if people don't like it, then don't buy it! Pretty simple!

faunabay

I've looked through the majors and while they peeked my interested and I knew I'd probably buy it I thought it would just be a novelty deck for me. Now after learning the minors and courts will be elementals!!!! I'm really excited to see how that will work. I love that!!