7 of Swords -- always a shadow side?

PentQueen

Does the 7 of swords always have a shadow side?

If one recv's this card as a response to whether one would win a competition of sorts, does it mean a win or a loss? And is there always an element of unfairness associated with it? If so, who is being unfair--you or someone else? And if I do win, will I eventually lose?

Or is it simply advising not to partake in the competition due to high probability of defeat? Perhaps it's indicating that the event/competition will eventually be avoided for some reason? Because the querent cannot carry the entire load that the task demands?

Any ideas?

Demon Goddess

PentQueen said:

If one recv's this card as a response to whether one would win a competition of sorts, does it mean a win or a loss? And is there always an element of unfairness associated with it? If so, who is being unfair--you or someone else? And if I do win, will I eventually lose?

Or is it simply advising not to partake in the competition due to high probability of defeat? Perhaps it's indicating that the event/competition will eventually be avoided for some reason? Perhaps because one cannot carry the entire load of the task?

Being a 7, I see that there is an association with the Chariot, which advises that the win is there, if the strength and will are maintained. But how does this pertain to the nasty suit of swords? I can't imagine that this is ever seen as a positive card!

Any help? This card is driving me nuts!

I don't see the suit itself as "nasty", so perhaps that is part of your difficulty?

You've got it right on the chariot being about control, but the swords are air, so (unless you see them as fire), they are about thoughts, ideas, communications, etc. Ergo... control of thoughts...

In such an event the 7 of swords might be about taking control of your thoughts so that you don't defeat yourself by overthinking the competition or by defeating yourself by thinking you're not good enough to win or better, so that you use the competitor's "edge" of visualization to help win the event.

willowfox

People paint the 7 swords as being too negative, this card shows careful planning which requires a high level of intelligence and it shows the person achieving their objective like in the story of the wooden horse and Troy. It is the card of a person who likes to work alone because they know exactly what needs to done without any interference from idiots.

So, you are potentially clever enough to win if you set your mind to the task and you have to be in it to win it.

EmpressRenee

PentQueen said:

Or is it simply advising not to partake in the competition due to high probability of defeat? Perhaps it's indicating that the event/competition will eventually be avoided for some reason? Because the querent cannot carry the entire load that the task demands?

Any ideas?

The answer (7 of Swords) was given in response to the question : whether one would win the competition. The answer that came (7 of Swords) says that whether or not one wins the competition would depend on whether or not strategy and stealth was used to gain an advantage over the opponent. The strategy would be to use the intellect (Swords) in a controlled manner (7 - being reflection of Chariot - 7 ) and to steer one thought processes to acheive maximum advantage. Perhaps through the use of some cunning (find out the weak spot of the opponent and use it against him/her - akin to the person on the Rider Waite card that takes away some of the swords belonging to the other camp when the other party was not looking because they were busy focusing attention elseswhere).

Just some thoughts.

EmpressRenee

Thirteen

PentQueen said:
It isn't always unfairness, though I'd certainly worry, if I got this card, about cheating. I mean, I'm sorry, but that is a strong element of this card.

However, it could also mean achieving your goals by not being brutally honest as compared to outright dishonest. Some people don't know how to be tactful or when to keep their mouths shut. Is a person, by comparison to such a brutally honest soul, being "unfair" if they don't come out with the flat truth, but rather stay silent until the time is right and then, with tactful phrases, get the truth across?

As for who is being unfair, that depends on what the question was and where it appeared in the spread. The card might be advising you that you can't win this game fairly and you've got to use some sneaky methods. Or it might be warning you to watch out for someone cheating.

In the end, it's not about win or lose. It's, quite literally, about how you're going to play the game. And while you may want to play it straight, this card warns you that this is not the best way to play this particular game. If you can't mange this, best not to play it.

The crowned one

In answer to your question I would say "yes" they would win. Brains over brawn does not mean cheating, it means out foxing.

In my opinion sevens are about wisdom, deep purpose and overcoming fear. This is a win through diplomacy at best or a covert operation at worse, but it is a win from the side of the fellow with FIVE swords. The TWO in the ground can represent the winners desire for truth( like the two of swords at times), but he has chosen winning over what many might consider "fair play".

Think of this card as winning through prudence and foresight, he/she found a weak spot in their opponent and utilized it to their advantage. Whats wrong with that? ;)

Thirteen

The crowned one said:
Think of this card as winning through prudence and foresight, he/she found a weak spot in their opponent and utilized it to their advantage. Whats wrong with that? ;)
Now, now, Crowned One. We *know* what's wrong with that. It usually means that the winner has put winning above anything else. This is good if you're out to win a war and save your people from death and slavery. But in something like politics, it can mean that you're willing to put a terrible person in power, let them ruin the country into the ground, so long as you get yours.

Who, or what, is this person doing the winning for? That's always the question.

You're certainly right that the card speaks of using your wits, and going for loopholes and weaknesses to win, even if that means not "playing fair." But whether this is positive or negative has nothing to do with the card, and everything do to with the motive for doing things this way.

The crowned one

There you have it! You have told me what is wrong with that ....
...But that is what the seven of swords is doing ;)

Thirteen said:
You're certainly right that the card speaks of using your wits, and going for loopholes and weaknesses to win, even if that means not "playing fair." But whether this is positive or negative has nothing to do with the card, and everything do to with the motive for doing things this way.

Edit: forgot to mention, I do agree with you here.

PentQueen

Wow, excellent responses from everyone! Certainly helps to understand the card more.

Still, it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is going on with this particular situation. I can't help but think that by receiving this card, that there is more than meets the eye, and that events will likely unfold at a later date.

To clarify, the exact question I asked was whether or not I would get cast in the lead performance role I'm hoping for. At this point, I'm wondering if this means that I will land the role unfairly or if the role has already been pre-cast. Another alternative is that I land the role, but perhaps need to be prepared for troubles after doing so? I seem to be fixated on the trail of two swords that have been left behind. I'm wondering if this speaks to past efforts coming back to haunt and are a warning to stay away from this particular path...

Obviously this card speaks to fears--lol! But generally, I'm getting from your responses, that this card is present because of the 'fear' involved, and that this situation will present a challenge to overcome. It's very interesting, because the last time I asked this question several months ago, I drew the Chariot, which is obviously linked. And also interesting, is that I plan to go on a trip directly after the process...perhaps this is why the 7's (Chariot) are showing up?

Am I thinking way too much about this? LOL!

Thirteen

PentQueen said:
Am I thinking way too much about this?
Actually, you might be. It's an acting role. What is the 7/Swords but a card that says "Act, pretend, fool, trick"? Acting IS what the 7/Swords often does. 7/Swords is not playing it "straight"--but that's acting isn't it? You pretend to be someone else and if you do it well enough, people will believe you ARE someone else, not you...and you'll "steal" the role.

Your mistake was you asked a yes/no question. Haven't we convinced readers not to do that? You asked, and the tarot said, I think, "You'll get it if you convince them that you're not you, but rather that you are this other person..."

In other words, if you put on a good enough performance. That's the Tarot for you. It's not going to tell you what will happen, only what can happen and under what circumstances.