9 of Cups as a season

Emsie

Recently, I asked a timing question and I am a bit puzzled right now.

What season does the 9 of Cups card represent? My guess is Summer, but I am open to other suggestions, too. :)

Laurelle

Recently, I asked a timing question and I am a bit puzzled right now.

What season does the 9 of Cups card represent? My guess is Summer, but I am open to other suggestions, too. :)

Cups are traditionally spring. So it might indicate spring/March.

Timing is one of the hardest things....

I was asking timing and kept pulling cups. All I pulled were cups. I actually took it to mean summer/cancer.

Then I read that cups were spring. I felt like they were summer. I would go with your first intuitive pull.

Samweiss

9 of Cups is second decan of Pisces in Golden Dawn's system. That would mean early March, from 1st to 10th, to be exact.

Timing is one of the hardest things....

I was asking timing and kept pulling cups. All I pulled were cups. I actually took it to mean summer/cancer.

Then I read that cups were spring. I felt like they were summer. I would go with your first intuitive pull.

Were any of those cards 2, 3 or 4 of Cups? That would indeed mean Summer, the cards being related to Cancer and all. :)

But I agree, timing is pretty difficult to predict.

Laurelle

9 of Cups is second decan of Pisces in Golden Dawn's system. That would mean early March, from 1st to 10th, to be exact.

Were any of those cards 2, 3 or 4 of Cups? That would indeed mean Summer, the cards being related to Cancer and all. :)

But I agree, timing is pretty difficult to predict.

That's really good information to know! I am interesting in knowing more about the Golden Dawn and how each card is related to what season/sign/date. I do a BOTA study group and that's very helpful for an indepth study.

I pulled like 4 or 5 cards. They were all cups. I kind of chuckled because tarot always has the way, doesn't it? I did that last month, so I don't remember all of them. One of them was the Ace of Cups. There were all lower numbered cards though. I would be guessing if I tried to remember them all.

Samweiss

That's really good information to know! I am interesting in knowing more about the Golden Dawn and how each card is related to what season/sign/date. I do a BOTA study group and that's very helpful for an indepth study.

I pulled like 4 or 5 cards. They were all cups. I kind of chuckled because tarot always has the way, doesn't it? I did that last month, so I don't remember all of them. One of them was the Ace of Cups. There were all lower numbered cards though. I would be guessing if I tried to remember them all.

Yes, I think learning all that information does come in handy. Sometimes in a spread like Celtic Cross the outcome card can be timed using this system, for example. That being said, I haven't been able to pull this off consistently. Maybe I could get better results if started to ask more specific questions about timing? That would be interesting to try out.

PAMUYA

When I read your title the first thing that popped into my mind was the Christmas holiday, depending on where you live it could be winter or summer. Strange thing for me to think of this, I am not Christian.

Emsie

Thanks for the great insights. I can definitely see celebration. I also pulled a clarifier card and it was the 2 of Wands. As a wand card I think of fire, so Summer is still in for me. But I'm curious about what you think of it. :)

danieljuk

This time is also traditionally Easter and the Pagan Ostara (in the northern hemisphere), both festivals and celebrations with food and drink! Traditionally in the Christian calendar (if I remember from my Sunday School days :D ), Easter was the most celebrated festival with a big feast after Lent. Celebrating Christmas in a big way is a recent thing for Christians really. I think it's interesting to look at March / Easter and the cups of drink in the card! But then also the food and drink of midsummer celebrations as a festival for Summer as well :)

Laurelle

This time is also traditionally Easter and the Pagan Ostara (in the northern hemisphere), both festivals and celebrations with food and drink! Traditionally in the Christian calendar (if I remember from my Sunday School days :D ), Easter was the most celebrated festival with a big feast after Lent. Celebrating Christmas in a big way is a recent thing for Christians really. I think it's interesting to look at March / Easter and the cups of drink in the card! But then also the food and drink of midsummer celebrations as a festival for Summer as well :)

Daniel,

thanks for the good info!

Amanda

In general, cups are Summer... but I'm curious on why you would need such a broad timeframe, to discount the 9 or other specifics a card might offer?