A Dummies Guide to Historical Research

Sophie

Oh, what a thread, what a thread!

Rosanne's opening post - and latterly Umbrae - have explained why, after an initial interest in tarot history, which led me to read far beyond the forum - I stopped posting here, long ago. I've not stopped reading here, and often do so, ~sometimes~ with pleasure. There are a number of regular posters here I enjoy reading, whatever their background.

My background should have made me an idea candidate for this section - on paper - but it hasn't. I studied history at Oxford - BA converted to MA (cost me £10 ;)) - in fact in the same college as Gregory, only a bit later. My main papers were in Medieval history - especially Church history, Renaissance history in England (mainly from a cultural angle - I really had fun studying the masque!); and Ancient History (especially Greek classical period and late Roman Republic, for those interested, with texts in Greek and Latin). I am fluent in two European languages and competent in 2 more and read yet another; I read Latin, Greek and Hebrew. I did well. Not fabulously well, but well. I went on to study law and became a barrister, then I jacked it all in to practice International Humanitarian Law in the field - i.e. in war. Not much time for history then, except of the most relevant kind (e.g. why the Hutus and Tutsis hate each other's guts, etc.)

But I was a poor historian. Truly. See - when it comes to something like history (as opposed to the cut and thrust of people's lives as I dealt with in law and especially in war), I really don't give a toss whether something is fact or fiction. I enjoy reading about Renaissance court life - something I did widely at university - and I enjoy reading the speculations of neo-occultist historians à la Christine Payne-Trowler. I know, that places me beyond the pale ;). My tutors used to tear their hair out - those who had hair - because of that unfortunate trait of mine: you see, I like stories. I write stories. I listen to them. If you tell me a wholly fictional but gripping account of your mother's brave death battling lions in the Kalahari, I will love it, and if I find out the next day that it is a rather elastic exaggeration...I won't hate you for it. I'll still love the story. Never let a fact get in the way of a good story is more or less my motto ;). Although if a fact enhances the story - great! Many of the best stories in the world are factual.

So - I enjoy speculation. I enjoy reading that the Phoenicians created an alphabet that might have influenced the tarot trumps centuries later. It's fun, it makes my neurones dance and perhaps - at some level of Truth (as opposed to Fact, as yet unproven) - the Phoenicians did just that. What's time, after all? I sometimes think I am living at many different times - perhaps all times - and just happen to be awake and fully conscious at any one time (I know, that speculation is anathema to a real historian, let alone scientist!)

See what a crap historian I am?

Here is something I remember VIVIDLY from my time at Oxford. The way the supposedly qualified and even famous historians used to throw vitriol at each other when they disagreed - putting in doubt anything from research veracity to relevance to sanity. They used to sleep with each other's husbands and wives, too, but that's another matter entirely (or is it?). With the exception - I presume - of the adulterous angle, I am finding a lot of this kind of behaviour here on AT. Sometimes polite, sometimes angry and menacing. Now the latter seems to be happening between Michael, whose website I visit with pleasure, but who is, as he says himself, a middle-of-the-road man and unlike me, very attached to facts; and Diane, of whom I have read a few bits and bobs, but who seems on this forum to be posting in a rather random fashion. This doesn't bother me - I like random stories and speculations - though it is seems to be upsetting a lot of people. To a certain extent, the writer in me finds the clash of personalities and egoes interesting - albeit it can be tiresome.

But when Diane - or anyone else, for that matter - writes or implies in thread after thread "I'm qualified because of so and so and so and no-one else has said/written/thought what I have" and then posts random unsubstantiated material, or claims other people's ideas or research as their own, or claims research without producing it, I think, as Rosanne does - pff to you. I like a good story, I don't care who tells it, but I don't like to be taken for an idiot. I read about Ars Memoria before I even hit university, and when I first saw tarot cards, I immediately thought of it. I don't think that makes me a very original thinker.

Now to answer your opening question, Rosanne - as far as I am concerned - you can speculate to your heart's content. Your and Scion's Behenian Stars thread - which Kwaw and several other graced beautifully - was one of the highlights of my time at AT. It was speculative, but not so far-fetched as to be wholly impossible or extremely unlikely. It read like a detective story, and I have a weakness for those. Like Baba - I love Umberto Eco, but I admit I prefer his novels :D (now that's a surprise!) I like "supporting evidence" to the extent that it contributes to the story. But I've experienced first hand - both as history student and lawyer - that in many cases, someone clever and trained can do what they please with supporting evidence. I once argued for and against the existence of the Delian League, using the same evidence. My tutor, who had a sense of humour, enjoyed it and marked me up (obviously not a stunt to be repeated at exams). These days, I just prefer speculation and imagination, and where I am not required to (outside of work, that is), I can't be bothered to spend hours chasing evidence. I can fully enjoy and entertain several versions of tarot history at the same time, although no-one is ever going to convince me that the puritanical Cathar "Perfects" - whom I studied quite closely at one time - invented the TdM (to me, it would be a bit like saying the Vatican financed research into the Pill).

I've rambled a fair bit and now I'm going to return to my lurker status in this part of AT - and maybe join Umbrae in that bar, we can swap stories and toss a few matchsticks to predict who is going to win this round :D

Rosanne

Yay yay yay Thanks Debra- that is very helpful. This is the sort of information that I and the lovely Prudence wish to have!
I wish also to thank Master_Margarita for that explanation of this thread 4 posts back.
Now I am off to post a exploration/speculation thread in this forum about maps (you who have read my posts will not be surprised with my preoccupation in this area) and Gog and Magog and Tarot images.
~Rosanne

mjhurst

Hi, Fudugazi,

Your post is a perfect example of why different forums are essential to a subject like Tarot. There are very different approaches to such a subject. One of them is historical, by which I mean a study of what happened at different times and places, based on surviving evidence. It's a tiny little sub-section of Tarot, and one of the least popular. Fantasy and folklore about that history, in contrast, are very popular.

Fudugazi said:
I like random stories and speculations - though it is seems to be upsetting a lot of people.

What you describe could be poetry. It could be art, perhaps even cubist art, drawing out truths and relationships that that are otherwise impossible to portray. It might be beautiful, healing, inspiring, entertaining, enlightening, or valuable in any number of ways... but it's not history.

I mostly lurk on Aeclectic, and have for years. So I'm not in a position to speak on anyone's behalf. But I've often been accused, on other forums, of attempting to chase people away or shut them up, when in fact I just asked them to make sense of their historical posts. Rather than attempting to stifle debate, I was in fact debating. And yes, that does entail citing real evidence and making a coherent argument in defense of a specific point. So if someone is intending to post art rather than rational argument, a history forum might not be the best place.

These days, I just prefer speculation and imagination, and where I am not required to (outside of work, that is), I can't be bothered to spend hours chasing evidence. I can fully enjoy and entertain several versions of tarot history at the same time, although no-one is ever going to convince me that the puritanical Cathar "Perfects" - whom I studied quite closely at one time - invented the TdM (to me, it would be a bit like saying the Vatican financed research into the Pill).

With regard to the first part of that comment, it clearly suggests that a history forum might not be your cup of tea. By the same token, personally, I don't like tea. I'm a coffee drinker, so I don't drink tea -- problem solved.

The second part of that comment shows that you have more background knowledge and good sense than any number of people who do enjoy citing evidence and assembling elaborate arguments.

gregory

prudence said:
I am saying "I" and "me", but I do believe that there are others who feel very much like I do.
Me, for one. :D (hello, prudence !) I have sometimes asked a question and got blasted for it being "silly" - this happened much worse elsewhere, I have to admit. But I ask by PM these days.... However - as far as I am concerned there is no such THING as a silly question. If you cannot ask about the things you don't know - how are you supposed to learn enough to know what makes a a question a silly one. We all have to start somewhere....

(I will answer questions about neumes and tropes, should anyone wish to know these things.... I even have references !)

I think feeding trolls is bad for them. It makes them big and strong. BAD IDEA. Starve them of attention, that's my motto. I have had a recent and vile experience with a troll.

Lillie

gregory said:
However - as far as I am concerned there is no such THING as a silly question.

Don't say that....
I might see it as a dare :D

le pendu

Master_Margarita said:
Very good, except you left out the part about Moscow being the third Rome.

M_M~

This from Master Margarita (MM!)
from Mount Meru (MM!)

I've done some research and am quite convinced that you are actually Mary Magdalene!!!

(or Mickey Mouse, one has to be open about these things!)

:)

Debra

Do Not Fear the Lawyers....

I just want to reassure everyone:

A collecting bird, like a magpie, has no intellectual claim to the shiny stuff it puts in its nest.

Picking up shiny stuff and dumping it all together in a nest--or posting bits of this and that on a forum--is not intellectual "work" that entitles one to a claim of authorship.

Posting links and snippets on a forum of stuff off the internet does not give one "intellectual property rights" to subsequent discussion of that material.

It does not give anyone the right to have "thought of it first" and certainly does not earn the right to a footnote or other acknowledgment.

No one need fear being "sued" or challenged for "plagiarism" should they explore the meaning of Saturn, angels, calendars, stars, maps, ships, God, Arabic, Pluto or Mickey Mouse in connection with tarot unless they steal a DEVELOPED idea.

(So sorry, le pendu. No footnotes to you, I'm afraid, for just posting that silly stuff and long list....)

No sane lawyer would take such a plagiarism case. It's nutty.

In academic matters, it's extremely unusual to see either an academic sanction (slap on the hand or lose your job), much less a legal settlement, for honest-to-God clear-as-day actual plagiarism. By honest-to-God clear-as-day actual plagiarism I mean: whole sections of a published manuscript lifted or closely paraphrased without attribution and published as if it were one's own original work.

Making a "cross-country" plagiarism case in a court, in a case where there is NO MONEY involved--discussion on a forum as opposed to a book that sells for money--is, well, that is snowball in hell territory. Even MORE nutty than the already nutty implication that posting lots of "stuff" establishes intellectual "ownership."

Like being honest about academic credentials, avoiding plagiarism is mostly a matter of being honorable.

Umbrae

Fudugazi said:
I like random stories and speculations - though it is seems to be upsetting a lot of people.

mjhurst said:
What you describe could be poetry. It could be art, perhaps even cubist art, drawing out truths and relationships that that are otherwise impossible to portray. It might be beautiful, healing, inspiring, entertaining, enlightening, or valuable in any number of ways... but it's not history.

That statement is so wrong – let’s imagine that I speculate a point. I post it. We bat it around. We exchange facts, we exchange research, we prove or disprove it – that’s called the scientific method and it sure as hell IS history.

Unless history only consists of dry already provable facts.

Now just posting off the wall stuff with no supporting evidence is not history.

Posting off the wall stuff supported by nonsensical circle arguments is not history.

But speculation is where history begins…

Or are you telling us that we are not welcome to post here? As an acedemic – I think clear posting is necessary…what are you really saying here?
FYI: the name of this forum is Historical Research - not Already Established Historical Fact Catalogue.

DianeOD

You mean....

Umbrae said:
I've never figured it out either. Seems when I wander in here and post - ...If I speculate I get abused, If I post facts I get abused. I have learned that this (along with a couple other areas on AT), do not welcome 'outsiders'.

I know I'm not welcome here. But you posted so I had to chime in (Still love ya babe...).

Our friend has spoken my mind on this matter.

Scion

Well now... Y'all knew I couldn't resist this one.

My own academic cred is work towards a masters in religion at Columbia, after undergrad double in religion philosophy. NONE of which are the way I make a living, but are a very large part of who I am. I'd like, if I may, to resurrect a metaphor from a different argument. Since it is my own metaphor I'm not going to determine the thread... :)

When you first learn to ski there are people whizzing by you at unholy speeds and there are entire sections of the mountain that seem as if they're forbidden to you. In fact the entire mountain is open to everyone, and even the most humble novice can take a black diamond, it just might take them longer and it won't be much fun. By the same token, Black Diamond skiiers have an obligation NOT to mow over the bunnyslopers. Common courtesy... it is the same reaosn we don't grab food out of people's mouths or murder people who make us angry.

It is to be expected that earning a certain level of expertise leaves people feeling that everyone has to "earn the slope," but as Einstein once said, "If you can't explain something to a six year-old then you don't actually understand it." One of the courtesies (if not obligations) of expertise is helping others to connect personally with your sphere of interest. To be blunt, the role of educators is, in fact, to educate. Amazingly, I've always found that real educators WANT to educate. :)

The "experts" here in Historical just want to ski the hard slopes, and sometimes they don't want to explain the minutia, which I can understand. But whether its because I've run the gauntlet of hardcore academia or because I'm not intimidated by intellectual bullying, I've NEVER hesitated when looking for an answer. I've also never had a question go unanswered, and I've never been ridiculed for asking one. Members are incredibly patient and tolerant on the whole, even with members who are proud, self-proclaimed "threadkillers" with the uncanny ability to hijack and dismantle a virtual conversation.

Earlier in this thread, several people asked about WHEN expertise needed to be proven, and I'd echo Pendu with the suggestion: when the material they're presenting steps outside of the "safe radius" of the accepted evidence. I love wild speculation, and I have no problem watching people spin castles in the air out of cigar smoke, but the minute someone starts insisting I believe them and they're an expert then they should be prepared to pony up. A few months back I posted a harsh review of Christine Payne-Towler's shameful, sloppy, derivative, disappointing Underground Stream on exactly this basis. In a way, it comes down to tone and intellectual honesty. Shameless dishonesty and calculated misdirection are red flags.

Not once in all my years on AT have I ever been shot down in any Forum for asking "stupid" questions. Not once has anyone withheld their background if I asked about it. My very first post on the Forum (I went and checked :thumbsup:) was about Track usage in Eastern Europe with emphasis on Bohemia. That question was answered at length and with patience by Baba.... and then elaborated upon by Ross and Kwaw and JMD and Huck. All of these people would remain vital parts of my Tarot education. At the time I was doing research for a project and the intelligence of this subforum and desire to ask a History question was what prompted me to join.

The issue of credentials has always been a nonissue, because I can't think of 5 times when it has been asked and answered in a way that elicited attention. From what I can tell, this spectre got raised in the past few weeks because of a strange dance of the seven veils that seems to still be going on. In truth, no one has ever asked me for credentials, and if I've ever wondered about someone else's I've asked and they've said. In only 3 cases have people been noncommunicative, and the doubletalk and prevarication which seems to have upset people. A straight answer seems simple enough to provide, and when it isn't people smell a bluff with the syllogistic logic that anyone who is honest answers and anyone who doesn't answer isn't. It's a very easy mistake to correct.

As for litigation: this is one of my personal bones. I was raised by a pack of wild lawyers and I have ZERO tolerance for that kind of saber-rattling. YOU CANNOT COPYRIGHT AN IDEA. Anyone who has ever been involved in a court case (especially over intellectual property) can catalog the expense, headaches, and miniscule payback for the effort invested. Television and film have left the world with the skewed view that a lawsuit is a magic bullet. In fact it's a gruelling, microscopic dissection of moments and decisions... I haven't seen anyone raise this bogey in the Historical forum, but if someone has, then it's a red flag... not that they are dangerous but that they are almost certainly a functional moron.

I've stayed out of this thread, and in fact many of the recent vitriolic threads in Historical, because I agree with Gregory: I have no interest in skirmishing over things that don't interest me. And when they interest me I post. Isn't that the point of a forum? Easy enough for me to post a new thread if I have a question or an inspiration. Umbrae may feel he's been hushed, but I also know that he has a habit of revisiting certain themes dear to his heart... so even he knows that those situations may have been a special case. ;) The Historical forum is no more forbidding or close-minded than the "lighter" areas. Actually, one of the most vicious discussions in I've ever participated concerned fluffy new age wicca, and an apology turned up 6 months later. Even wacky people apologize.

I'm glad Rosanne started this thread because it is a White Elephant that can breed in the corners of an "intellectual" subforum. We are sharing ideas here, full stop. There is research I do that I don't mouth off about, but that's because there's no need to at this point. If anyone feels that they have cracked the Tarotic atom or cured Tarorotic cancer or travelled to the Tarotic stars then get it published. It's EASY to get something startling and brilliant published.

As far as I know everyone is free to post, but that is a sword that cuts both ways. And I think that was Rosanne's point.

:thumbsup:

Scion