a few newbie questions

euphoria

Hello all, I am new to this forum and like most others here, I am trying to learn and improve my tarot reading skills. I recently bought 2 decks, one is more traditional and came with a book and has no name... and the other one is more novelty. Neither really "calls out" to me, but I've been using the book deck because it seems less silly (the other one is the Housewives Tarot). Either way, I am not really sure if this makes a difference at all... or does it?

I have tried a few Tarot spreads, but for the most part, most of the spreads I've found don't really cover what I want to know or is way too complex for me. I think 3-5 card spreads are probably the best for me to learn with right now.

ANYWAYS... I just wanted to ask...

1. When reading for myself and after I shuffle while thinking of my question and all that stuff, do I need to account in the type of spread and what each position asks into my question? For example, do I actually have to think "ok I am doing a 7 card spread and this is my question and this is what each card I put in this spot is going to mean" or does it not really matter? I mean, if I was just doing a regular reading without a spread, and put out 3 cards, and then put out 2 more, does that not work since I wasn't thinking of it when I drew the cards?? Can someone clarify this part for me?

2. When making your own spreads, do you choose what you want each position to mean? Or are they generally linked in some way that you can't really alter what their position signifies??

3. I never really feel like I know when is the correct time to stop shuffling or cut or if anything is actually "drawing" me towards it. How can I improve my intuition without just feeling I'm picking something because I have to or having a false sense of 'ehh I'll just pick this one I guess' without a sure feeling?

4. Whats a good 5 card general spread?

Thanks for the advice!

elvenstar

Hello euphoria and welcome. I love your name, it just made my day :D

euphoria said:
Hello all, I am new to this forum and like most others here, I am trying to learn and improve my tarot reading skills. I recently bought 2 decks, one is more traditional and came with a book and has no name... and the other one is more novelty. Neither really "calls out" to me, but I've been using the book deck because it seems less silly (the other one is the Housewives Tarot). Either way, I am not really sure if this makes a difference at all... or does it?

Well, I think it helps if you use the deck that you connect the most with. I don't have the Housewives but I've heard lots of good things about it as a reading deck. But if you prefer the other, then go with that. If neither really clicks at all, perhaps consider getting one that does. Waite-Smith or similar ones are generally recommended because there's a lot of info on it, but you don't have to follow that.

I have tried a few Tarot spreads, but for the most part, most of the spreads I've found don't really cover what I want to know or is way too complex for me. I think 3-5 card spreads are probably the best for me to learn with right now.
Have you checked the spreads section here? There are a lot of spreads, including short ones. I think you're right short ones are the way to go. A lot of advanced readers prefer them too, so don't feel you're missing out on anything by using a three card spread ;)

ANYWAYS... I just wanted to ask...

1. When reading for myself and after I shuffle while thinking of my question and all that stuff, do I need to account in the type of spread and what each position asks into my question? For example, do I actually have to think "ok I am doing a 7 card spread and this is my question and this is what each card I put in this spot is going to mean" or does it not really matter? I mean, if I was just doing a regular reading without a spread, and put out 3 cards, and then put out 2 more, does that not work since I wasn't thinking of it when I drew the cards?? Can someone clarify this part for me?
Both ways will work, spread or no spread. But it helps to have a clear idea what you're doing before you do it. If the spread fits the question well, you shouldn't need to try to fit the positions to the question, cause they already fit. E.g. You can have a three card relationship spread, 'me-us-you', or 'situation-outcome-advice'. The meanings of the positions should be clear to you from the start, otherwise you'll get confused.

If you go with a more free flow style reading, the rules are very flexible. You just pull as many as you feel like and make something out of them. If that feels easier for you, do that. If it confuses you, stick with spreads.

2. When making your own spreads, do you choose what you want each position to mean? Or are they generally linked in some way that you can't really alter what their position signifies??
Not sure exactly what you mean with your second question. If I'm making it up, I chose what each position means.

3. I never really feel like I know when is the correct time to stop shuffling or cut or if anything is actually "drawing" me towards it. How can I improve my intuition without just feeling I'm picking something because I have to or having a false sense of 'ehh I'll just pick this one I guess' without a sure feeling?
That's a tricky one. In the beginning, you just have to trust yourself and ignore the little voices of doubt. (Later too, only it becomes a bit easier). Just believe that you'll stop when the time is right and you'll pull the right cards. As simple as that.

4. Whats a good 5 card general spread?
The only one I use I can think of right now is the elemental spread, one for each element, fire, water, earth, air, spirit.

Or try the one here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9838

But I'd stick with three cards to begin with, like the ones I wrote above, or past present future, mind body spirit, or make one up to fit the question. I find making my own spread helps me understand better what it is I'm trying to read about.

Hope that helps :)
elv xx

gregory

I started out with single card readings. You can get a heck of a lot from them if you REALLY look at the card ! I still don't like to use more than three cards.

And there are no rules of reading. You do what feels right for you. I learned this the hard way !

Welcome, by the way. :D

berrieh

Oh, silly decks sometimes work, too. I have the Housewives on its away; a friend of mine (who doesn't read Tarot, and does have it as a 'novelty' as you say) had it and I've read with it a couple times. The readings were just as good as with my Thoth. I've got several silly decks; I find certain sitters like them more, and, actually, some of my silliest decks are the ones I most like because they cheer me up even when delivering awful news.

You should use whichever deck you have a connection with, of course, but I wouldn't ever worry about being silly. The Hanged Man seems very silly to us, and he knows more than any of us. :)

As to what difference it makes, some people find that decks don't make a difference. I find they absolutely do. I have different decks that work better for different questions, different sitters, different moods... it all depends. The important thing is that you feel your deck 'speaks to' you in some way.

There are a ton of great Spreads here, but if you can't find one that covers something you want to know, you can also create a Spread. I think the most important thing with any Spread is that you feel it's the right fit to answer your question---not one position or card too many, not one position or card too few, and all of them useful and working together in your mind. You can also modify Spreads if you see one that's *almost perfect* but one position just bothers you, etc. Just look at the Celtic Cross (I wouldn't suggest it for you, since it's big, but as an example), which has umpteen different versions, based on who's throwing it.

For me, intention is very important. But I don't normally consciously think while throwing the cards or shuffling them. I try to have my Spread firmly in my mind beforehand (I suppose I tend to use a collection of the same Spreads, rather than new ones for this reason), to know the question, the positions, the relation between them, the flow and order of the throw, and to know it at the same level I'd know, say, a dance I've rehearsed thoroughly. So, it takes some 'work' beforehand to learn a Spread, if I'm going to use it.

I tend to try to 'not think' of anything except my desire to know the truth while shuffling and throwing. Personally, I often write down my question with exact phrasing, as it doesn't leave me wondering anything and it further cements it in my mind beforehand. I also tend to say my question aloud. I'm very chatty with my cards.

There is, of course, no right or wrong way to do these things. It's all about what works for you. :)

I'm confused as to this question... Does the first one mean to choose what they mean AFTER you view them? That seems as though it'd be confusing, so I couldn't do that. Personally, when I create a Spread, I create the positions and links behind the positions and way the energy naturally flows through the Spread and in each position, before I throw the cards. I consider the Spread fixed before I ever turn over a card.

I also rarely draw a clarifying card, because I feel it infects the Spread with my own hopes or fears to draw a card after I've received my answer. (I figure, if I can't understand my answer, that's my problem, and another card won't help that.) The only time I'll do that is for timing. But many people do draw clarifying cards, so again, there's no right or wrong.

I hear ya on this one. That "Why did I stop? Did I just get impatient?" hits me sometimes. I find it helps to have music on when I throw a Spread. Also, you can always set the deck down for a moment. See if it really 'feels' ready. The stronger a connection you build with your deck, the easier this becomes.

I can't help you with #4. All my short Spreads are specific. I read long, cumbersome Spreads. :) I'm sure there are a bunch of good ones in the Spreads forum.

Starling

I'm no expert, but I do have some suggestions.

Write down your question. Writing it down will force you to pay attention to what you are asking and how you are asking it. Personally I avoid yes/no questions. Tarot doesn't handle those very well. Locate a question pattern that works for you and try that when you've got a yes/no question. Personally I like, "What do I need to know about [fill in the blank]?"

Find a deck that speaks to you and buy a couple of books that go with that kind of deck. There are loads of threads here that will help you do both of those things.

Have fun. This is supposed to be fun as well as enlightening.

Promise

Starling had a good suggestion. Try to find a way of phrasing questions that really "works" for you, and I think that might help a lot. Personally, I like, "What do I need to know about...." or "How can I better understand......", but like so many things in Tarot, it's all down to personal preference most of the time.

I dislike using large spreads, so I like to stick to three or less if I can, but I'll do 5 if I absolutely have to. I find that more cards leads to more confusion, and I tend to want to fall back more on standard meanings instead of listening to my intuition.

If you can't find a spread that works for you, try writing down the "meat" of your question, and pulling a single card on that. Many times, that helps me better understand the underlying issues, and THEN I can find a more in-depth spread if I feel like I still need it.

There really are no hard and fast rules when it comes to spreads, or Tarot in general. You just kinda have to find what works for you. We all read differently in many ways; different styles of decks, different ways of phrasing questions, different ways of actual reading. That's part of what makes it such a great experience, getting to see many sides of a single issue just by the different perspectives people offer you.

As for knowing when to stop shuffling, I think in the beginning, it's something you just have to trust. I literally used to shuffle for a half hour and get so frustrated because no man with a bullhorn popped into my brain and jumped up and down and screamed at me to put the bloody cards down. For me, the key is to relax, not stress, and just let things come naturally.

As someone else said, just have fun with it. That's the most important thing, I think.

Grizabella

Above all, relax!

Shuffle till you feel like stopping.

Use your more traditional deck, unless it's got unillustrated pip cards. In that case, use the Housewives till you can get something else.

Use a simple spread, not one that uses forty'leven positions to pick a question absolutely to minute pieces.

You can't do it wrong. Relax. Practice. Keep it simple at first. Don't be afraid to play with the cards because you'll learn the most when you just play.

Foucault

Shuffling

Regarding when to stop shuffling, you said:

'ehh I'll just pick this one I guess'

That's it - that's the right time! You probably won't get a fanfare blowing at the "right" moment, but when you feel like stopping, that's the time to stop.

Graham.

Karen48

Hey Euphoria,

You got some great replies here.

I'm a newby too and had similar questions.

Can I point you in the direction of Joan Bunning's www.learntarot.com ? On the site is an excellent lesson plan which includes a step-by-step guide of how to carry out a reading, including how to shuffle, cut and turn the cards over. The guide certainly answered a lot of my questions.

Once you've learnt the basics it's easier to branch out and do your own thing and read intuitively coz you know why you are doing things in the first place.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Karen

Starling

I'd like to second that web site. It is the one I am currently using to re-learn the cards. I'm on my third go around with learning them after a very long time away from the cards, and so far I've really liked her range of meanings. I'm not doing her lessons, although they look quite good. I'm actually making myself type out her meanings for each card as I pull them for the first time. Since I'm journaling, I know when I have a "new" one.

Once I've got her meanings down, and having copied them word for word, I was forced to actually look at them and pay attention, I always write out a little bit about my own thoughts. How do those meanings fit the question I asked if there was a question. If it was a daily draw card, how does it match what is going on in my life.

This and spending some time describing each card as it comes up for the first or second time, which makes me look at it very closely, is working extremely well for me.

It isn't that hard to do, so you might want to try it. It is also a lot easier that actually trying to memorize anything.