A One Deck Person?

UrbanFool

I've been using my Morgan-Greer for quite some time, and thought it might be nice to branch out, so I got the Fenestra deck a couple weeks ago, and today I got the Vikings deck.

I hated the readings I tried with the Fenestra. Spreads may as well have been in Greek, and I struggled badly through interpretations.

Today, a friend asked me for a reading that I deemed too important to "play" with the Fenestra deck, and used the Morgan-Greer and felt like I was at home.

Now I'm kinda bummed because I'm assuming it'll be the same with the Vikings deck.

Is this common, or am I inadvertently causing it myself?

Kelly

Niti

Just because so many ATers are deck-hoppers, does not mean you need to be too! It's fine if you can only connect with one deck. Many people only use one deck for years (or forever) and some make the switch to one-deckers after years of using many. Quite a few have claimed to be better readers for it.

That said, don't make any assumptions about a deck you have not yet tried! Even many collectors and deck-hoppers have difficulties with certain decks. Maybe it is not the deck for you; maybe it is not the right time for you to be using it.

I myself have gone through quite a few decks, and although I don't limit myself to just one today, there are some I simply could not connect with upon receiving them. Don't stress about it. Try the new deck, see what happens, and if you decide you want to stay a one-decker, you can head over to the Tarot Trading subforum and send your new decks off to another home :)

6 Haunted Days

Niti said:
Just because so many ATers are deck-hoppers

I resemble that remark. And it makes me feel vaguely dirty. :laugh:

Anyways, the deck just might not speak to you, if you're having such a hard time with a spread, when this happens to me with a new deck....I know that perhaps I should set it aside for now.

I am positive you can read and read well with other decks, the Fenestra might just not be your thing right now.

Miss 6

firefrost

Kelly - try a reading with the Vikings deck. If it works, all well and good. If you're not comfortable, put it to one side along with your Fenestra.

Did something draw you to the decks in the first place or did you just feel like collecting them?

If something drew you, then have patience, it will come out when the cards are ready. In my experience when this has happened, at the right time I have an overwhelming desire to work with the deck and all negativities and insecurities vanish.

Don't let one bad experience harm your progression.

Ange

I felt awful putting my Marseilles deck away cos it was a gift....but I just couldn't make head or tail of it......

Now I have the one I'm using all the time, for my own readings and for study, the Sharman-Caselli deck, and I stick to that one.

But my Marseilles is there in it's box, keeping nice and new looking, and now and again I get it out and have a look at it.....and I think, well I've moved on from one deck ownership, I'm now a collector..... :) and I enjoy just holding it and looking at it....does that sound daft?

Try the Viking one, and if you have no joy with it, then put the two decks somewhere nice, keep them safe, and enjoy them as a collection.... :) ....give them another purpose..... :)

Ang x

Sulis

Hi Urban Fool,

I understand completely.
I used to be a deck hopper then I did the One Deck Wonder thing a few years ago and now I'm a one deck gal.
I tend to use the same deck for around 6 months then I start to feel as if I need something else, I find that I'm yearning for different pictures so I change to a different deck which I use for around 6 months.
I say 6 months because that's how long it seems to take before I start wanting to try another deck but who knows, one day I may find a deck that I want to use forever :)

At the moment I'm using The World Spirit Deck and although I've traded for a couple of others when they arrive I tend to look through them and put them away.
The World Spirit was the first deck that really 'spoke' to me when I started learning how to read tarot so it's a special deck. It wouldn't really bother me at all if I didn't ever get the urge to use another one as this deck really does seem like my deck.

Just go with it, you'll know when you fancy a change.

Ange

Some of it might be the cards themselves.....for instance, I, with my Marseilles deck thought that the Magician just mean that he could generally make things happen etc....I hadn't got a clue what was on his table, except just general bits and bobs.....

Then when I looked at the Sharman-Caselli deck Magician, I could quite clearly see on his table a Wand, a Cup, a Sword and a Pentacle....one of each that obviously represented the Aces of each suit....and so I then saw that he could make things happen as with the enthusiasm of the Aces, and also with any of the suits...feelings thoughts etc.....

So I think that sometimes, you get used to one deck, and used to what the pictures are showing you, and what you can see in the card, and then to try to get the same from another deck will maybe be difficult cos some of the picture might not be there....or in the case of some of the beautiful artistry I've seen in some of the other more modern decks, there may be no picture as such there.....just a design.

Hope that makes sense from a learner.... :)
Ang x

UrbanFool

Well that's why I got the Fenestra. I thought it was close enough to the RWS that I'd be fine with it (unlike Crow's Magick.)

I got it because it called to me. Someone mentioned something in one of the threads and I fell in love the minute I saw it. I'm very peculiar about my art, and many of the decks have a lot of cards that squick me out. I have serious issues about clowns and illustrated people --much of the time they remind me of horror films. "Artistic License" means nothing to me when it comes to people and people's faces. I was so surprised that I loved The Fool in the Maroon tarot.

So then I saw the Viking deck and fell in love all over. I'm still not sure why I'm not Asatru --I probably should be. I'm the byproduct of a Jensen and an Olson.

I'll sadly put the Fenestra away with my Crow's Magick, and work with the Viking deck for a while, but I'm not letting the Morgan Greer out of my sight!

Thanks so much you guys.

Kelly

6 Haunted Days

BTW I adore the Vikings tarot as well! Some of those images....they are incredible. It fits in very nicely with my faith (Northern European traditional witchcraft). I have a lot of books on Asatru and pretty much everything Teutonic related. You should check it out :).

UrbanFool

Oh --I've definitely checked it out. I've been fascinated with the mythology for my entire life. I never miss a good Ragnarok story. That's why I was so thrilled that I liked this deck!

The one disappointing thing about this deck (which I'm about to remedy) is that the gods' names aren't on the majors. What's up with that? 6 languages and they can't fit the gods' names on there too?

Hey firefrost. I have border collies too!