A Question of Ethics

LixiPixi

You know, I'm going to reply to this based solely on your original post. I have not YET read any of the responses. This is my first initial impression of what you've asked about....(I will read the responses and probably post my 2nd opinion after hearing things that don't hit me to heart like the initial....).....

First of all - I feel for you! I would be worried too! I think that if a "professional" is going to read for you then they should make ALL factors known by the cards whether they are medical, legal, emotional, moral, etc. By that I mean, if they see an illness - then by God, say it, and at the same time say it with cooth and keep it vague enough to not pinpoint a specific problem, but simply recommend that the sitter request a doctor's opinion on the area of concern. By all means, don't say "oh my lord I see a serious medical issue coming up in the next three months" and then not say whether it is with you, a family member, a friend, or related to the heart or the sexual organs, etc. We all know that a true reader can pinpoint those specifics if they want to. It's better to recommend the sitter seek appropriate counsel.

However....IF a reader is going to even acknowledge such things, then I feel they best be prepared to give enough details to pinpoint whether it is the sitter themselves or a family member and to what area they should seek medical help (i.e. cardiovascular, neurologist, psychologist, etc.) (Did I mention this part already?? LOL)

Sometimes I want so badly to go to a "professional" but then when I think about how much more professional they may be than I, I worry. I know what I know. But how do I know what someone else knows? Without word-of-mouth recommendation or talking to Sylvia Browne herself, I'm learning that it's just harder and harder to come across the genuine souls in this day and age.

(((((((((GA - try not to worry, just keep your eyes open :) )))))))))))

LP~

Umbrae

GoddessArtemis said:
But in the midst of the reading about my question, she suddenly mentioned that in a few months, I will be experiencing an event that will be "drastic and threaten to destabilize" me. She said to make sure that, when the time comes, I make the right decision and the one that's best for me, not anyone else.
[...]
She said that "ethically" she cannot share that information, "in case it affects your free will"...but she mentioned that it had something to do with my career/finances and that it would eventually affect the rest of my life, and it would be a "drastic" change. But she couldn't share what it was. I asked again, "How bad is this if it's going to 'threaten to destabilize' me?" Her response was, "Don't worry about it now. When it happens, you'll know."
I'll bet she had a candle you could purchase for $200 that would un-stablize you.

Folks like this give us all a bad name.

linabeet

I think Umbrae nailed it there - sounds like she's trying to get you hooked on her "too powerful for you to comprehend magickal powers of superness".

When catastrophe does hit your life, she wants you to come back - "see I told you I was right" to pour in more bucks. We know that crisis is a big money makers for those with candles to ease your sorrows.

I am making a lot of assumptions here, she could be highly ethical and unsure about what she needs to say, but it does raise a few flags towards the "addiction to my services is the only path to enlightenment" school of tarot business.

jmd

I'm not sure I agree with what appears to be the majority view here - though it may indeed be the case that the person was a fraud.

Let's assume that she wasn't, and that she spoke exactly as she saw. Ie, she was maintaining integrity in the reading at hand, and stating what was important to the situation, providing very specific advice:
[paraphrased]:

when the time comes when you experience this difficulty that I cannot tell you about in a few months, to 'make the right decision and the one that's best for [you], not anyone else'.​
I am also going to presume that she made no request for a return reading, nor did she have candles or equivalent for sale at normal nor above pricing.

What is the problem with this?

Personally, and though certainly the expression as mentioned seemed somewhat hard, the reader was also clearly specifying that she was unable or unwilling to either see or disclose more as that would be stepping into making suggestions for a decision, rather than to allow the person to make up their mind, with the suggestion that this should be the 'best decision for yourself'.

Certainly the 'drastic and threaten to destabilize' may also seem over-the-top (and certainly would not form part of a phrase I would be likely to use) - but in the context also hints at the kind of event she refers to. In other words, (if and) when the situation referred to arises, the person offered the reading will know, as it will stand out of the ordinary.

In terms of various readers having claims that financial, medical and legal questions will be refered to professionals in those respective areas, this arises from legal considerations. Ethical ones pertain more to the situation at hand, that certain local legislations may prevent from even needing to consider (for example, over here, I can give readings pertaining to these areas, but not to make claims about the whereabouts of lost items).

Of course, each and every reading has an ethical dimension - as well as a communicative one. If nothing else, the reading shows that the style of communication was not very effective in this case: 'for whom do you read' was not, in this instance, well considered.

Moonbow

I've had an occasion where something in the cards appeared so strongly and I wanted to tell the client, but it wasn't really part of her original issue and so the toying between telling or not was more difficult than I expected it to be, (not really having been in this situation before). I decided to tell her, because if there is one thing I have learnt about reading Tarot it's to go with first impressions and say what may seem unrelated or ridiculous at the time.

Sometimes it's easy to say what you would do in a situation, but different when it actually happens. I would like to think that even if I couldn't say everthing that I saw in the cards, that I would not leave the person hanging or worried and this is where the wording of the reading is so important. In fact I would hate anyone to leave me in a worried state. Sometimes you know when to cut off and say no more but I think in this instance she worded herself badly, giving you cause to worry.

psychic sue

Doesn't sound like a very good reader to me. A good reader would never say anything like that. So don't worry about it - she probably misinterpreted the information anyway.