A real first - and a learning experience

shadowdancer

I have just come back from having worked a 2 day Mind, Body Spirit festival here in Christchurch. My 5th or 6th event, so know what to expect etc.

A lady sat in front of me who I had read for before. Deck shuffled, cards laid out with the first set of 3 being shown. A resounding "no, I cannot relate to that at all. Nothing."
oookkaay... so I lay the next set, same response.

At this stage I had to think on my feet, having never had such a response as this. I asked her to reshuffle and was prepared to start the reading again.
Next set of 3?? Same response. I just picked them up, apologised and said I would not do the reading. It was not meant to be, and it would not be right to continue/take her money etc. She thanked me and went to another reader, who I knew well.
She sits down. He turns the first card. She says "I am sorry but it means nothing to me, I am not going to waste your time", stands up and walks off. The funny thing is, as far as I can remember (and I did 30 readings over the 2 days so I am only fairly sure as opposed to absolutely sure) he was going down the same path as me. We decided either she didn't want to hear something, or she doubting whether she should really be having a reading.

I think I learned not to take it to heart. Not to see that I had failed her or let her down. To accept the fact I am not necessarily the right reader for everyone who sits in front of me. If this had happened on my first event I would have perhaps dwelled on it and worried. Not this time. Just wondered really if anyone else has had similar happen to them at a festival or other similar event.

Anyways here is my wee stall. I only had a space 2m x 1.2m so make use of it. The pictures will in the main be well recognisable to AT members :D :D The large A4 prints are the Sacred Isle tarot.

Attachments

• 229342_3102138852625_1401674124_n.jpg
    229342_3102138852625_1401674124_n.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 248453_3102138532617_1267341106_n.jpg
    248453_3102138532617_1267341106_n.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 136

Naomi Ningishzidda

That's a nice booth setup. Pegasus pillows?

That's a pretty weird reaction. I've had people project their denials and blindspots onto the spread before. It's like they use tarot as a way of avoiding truths or things that are painful.

shadowdancer

the pillows are cushions I cross-stitched. Pegasus on one, unicorn on the other. My first attempts many, many years ago at cross-stitch :)

Yeah it was weird. What was just as weird is I always dowse do I go ahead. It said yes. I was laying the cards out for 'what has led you here' ... so when she reacted that way I dowsed and it said nope, that was for what was coming up. It really was all out of kilter, so I guess the dowsing was confirming for me if it didn't feel right, not to go ahead. Just wish it had said from the start not to go down the road of trying a reading.

tarotbear

Sometimes the more violently people react, the closer the cards are to the truth.

You got a lot crammed into your tiny space! Looks Great, tho!

flying black kat

shadowdancer

Beautiful Setup in such a tiny booth. Very elegant and relaxing.

As for the "client", she sought you out. It is not any reflection on you or your reading that she wanted the cards to tell her what she wanted to hear, not the truth.

Her loss.

Kathy

Grizabella

Did she say that without you having said a word about the cards yet? Or after you'd read the three cards each time?

shadowdancer

Hi there, :)

It was after I read the first three cards. We had already discussed how I would be sectioning the reading (what has led to the 'now', current issues etc) I think we had only gone around 5 mins into the whole thing from start to finish before she left. The second set of 3, I just gave one sentence to test the water/see if I was on the right track. That too was given the resounding 'no' As was the sentence tester after the reshuffle.

I did wonder if it was a scam to get a free reading, but she got up afte less than a minute with the next reader. She said I had read for her at a previous festival, and she was happy with that one. I honestly could not remember her. I do around 30 per show, twice yearly so rarely remember any of the faces.

celticnoodle

Wow, shadowdancer. and kudos to you for being so honest with her and not just taking advantage of her, keeping her money and spewing out something-anything.

I find it interesting that it occurred with the next reader too though--that they also could not get a thing. that is why I say "WOW"!

I love your booth, btw! feels energetic and relaxing at the same time. very pretty!

cmarie

What a beautiful and comfortable set up you had! Very nice.

Good for you to be able to not take it personally, because it wasn't personal.

:)

psychicpaula

please don't ever doubt yourself or what you feel to be right. obviously two things occurred.. denial or the person you were trying to do the reading for only wanted to receive a reading for nothing and made you and another colleague feel uncomfortable.. i have had this happen to me before.. chalk it up to experience and dont take it personally (although i know its hard sometimes not to).. on occasion you will come across people like this and you will develop a kind of sixth sense when you will know straight away whether or not a reading will be successful for everyone concerned..

i miss christchurch and sumner beach very much.. one day.. i will return (and i will pop in for a coffee and do a reading just for you)
take care :)