Dealing with impatient customers

lotus2blossom

So here is a question I have since I've had this occurrence happen a few times lately.

How do you deal with impatient customers or customers that seem to be addictive in nature?

I had one lately who got a reading for me and then later had additional questions, which was perfectly fine. However, she then wasn't quite fully excepting of the advice I gave her based on what I saw in her situation so she proceeded to send me several messages basically venting about all her problems and how she didn't like X person and such. Like, I was getting like a message every hour. None of it pertained to me or the reading. I told her a message basically stating my guidelines and policies to say what's appropriate and what's not. It did manage to get her to stop and respect it but the situation was still quite draining.

Later I have another one who pays for a reading. She was delayed for a week to send me her information for the reading, so I was about ready to cancel it and just send the money back. But just then she sends me a message. So I get the information needed and I told her to please wait until Monday as I will be traveling at this time and unable to do readings. This was a Friday. She then sent me like numerous messages asking where her reading is despite me telling her my situation. I could see the notifications on my phone for the message but can respond to through the system (since its not my site).

Has anybody else dealt with these before? How do/did you deal with them?

Tarotiana

I try to stay calm, remember that different people have different problems, and can be wacky at times. I sigh, vent my feelings to my mothers cats that look at me in a very understanding way, and say meow.

Then I try to tell people in friendly terms how I can, and how I can not work. (Keeping in mind that I am dealing with a person that is quite off center now probably.)

But: The higher their investment in me, the bigger my time investment in them. The lower their investment in me, the lower my time investment in them... :)

Grizabella

If you stop to think about it, you've committed yourself to dealing with impatient people if you're working as a Tarot reader, aren't you? You're dealing with people who don't want to wait to see what will happen as life unfolds for them---they want to know now!

I just accept that the people who seek out a Tarot reader are probably not the most patient people. They're bothered greatly by whatever the subject of their question is and they want answers that will alleviate their impatience and discomfort. And face it---there's not a living person who doesn't feel some anxiety about their futures at times, some more frequently than others. I commit myself to answering their questions as soon as possible within reason and, if necessary, remind myself that this is all part of what I've chosen to do.

lotus2blossom

If you stop to think about it, you've committed yourself to dealing with impatient people if you're working as a Tarot reader, aren't you? You're dealing with people who don't want to wait to see what will happen as life unfolds for them---they want to know now!

I just accept that the people who seek out a Tarot reader are probably not the most patient people. They're bothered greatly by whatever the subject of their question is and they want answers that will alleviate their impatience and discomfort. And face it---there's not a living person who doesn't feel some anxiety about their futures at times, some more frequently than others. I commit myself to answering their questions as soon as possible within reason and, if necessary, remind myself that this is all part of what I've chosen to do.

Yeah, I thought that when I was writing this since I have made my code of ethics and policies that I follow already, but I still just wanted to see what others would say. :)

For the most part, most have understood or they've just been mildly impatient (which is perfectly understandable) but then I just got a few that were just quite excessive with messages. And, naturally, those are also typically the people that have difficultly really making changes post-reading. It's like they know, but I feel like they need other support along the way in order for a shift to actually be made.
I guess it just makes me contemplate how my method could be refined for a better outcome.

lotus2blossom

But: The higher their investment in me, the bigger my time investment in them. The lower their investment in me, the lower my time investment in them... :)

Yeah -- definitely.

I try to stay calm, remember that different people have different problems, and can be wacky at times. I sigh, vent my feelings to my mothers cats that look at me in a very understanding way, and say meow.

Ha, yes I'll have to talk to my cat about it more often. :)

Seven Pelicans

Sorry to hear about the stressful people!

I think, for me, this is a question of boundaries & deciding what I am & am not wiling to tolerate. If my business is going to be sustainable for me, I have to strike a balance where I am not dealing with real crazies, but at the same time am tolerant & understanding of people's distress.

Sounds like you are clear about your policies & you handled the first situation well by reminding your client what is acceptable.

A colleague reminded me that when people are trying to heal they can get uncomfortable & scared & act out, & that is what I will get thrown at me sometimes. So just be prepared for it & know it's not personal, & also maintain those boundaries!

Tarotiana

I again thought about the time I did focus on private sessions, instead of event work. And I remember it as a stressful time with heaps of people with problems in my life. So I deceided against working with primary private tarot sessions.

Because hey: Do people that are very happy see us for a private tarot session? Or do those with problems see us? And how many people with problems do we need to see every day to make a living? For me the answer is: Too many.

I mean it was o.k. for me many years ago when prices for private sessions around here were higher, and 2 or 3 sessions per day were enough to make a living. But now...ohoh...no thank you...;-)

Then I would feel like a "therapy slave", like a friends calls therapist working in a clinical environment, that have to do heaps of private sessions every day, for a minimum wage...until they burn out...

I feel that is a very real risk everybody who offers private sessions to make a living, has to face. And this risk is not getting smaller with armadas of private ladies offering tarot sessions for some pocket money, and the thrill of it... that are ready to work with the most impatient and difficult people for some peanuts ;-)

But hey: Eventwork can also be much less then fun with drunks, hecklers that condemn evry tarot reader as "satans spawn", and travelling long boring distances.

But who said it would be absolutely easy to work with tarot? :)

lotus2blossom

I again thought about the time I did focus on private sessions, instead of event work. And I remember it as a stressful time with heaps of people with problems in my life. So I deceided against working with primary private tarot sessions.

Because hey: Do people that are very happy see us for a private tarot session? Or do those with problems see us? And how many people with problems do we need to see every day to make a living? For me the answer is: Too many.

I mean it was o.k. for me many years ago when prices for private sessions around here were higher, and 2 or 3 sessions per day were enough to make a living. But now...ohoh...no thank you...;-)

Then I would feel like a "therapy slave", like a friends calls therapist working in a clinical environment, that have to do heaps of private sessions every day, for a minimum wage...until they burn out...

I feel that is a very real risk everybody who offers private sessions to make a living, has to face. And this risk is not getting smaller with armadas of private ladies offering tarot sessions for some pocket money, and the thrill of it... that are ready to work with the most impatient and difficult people for some peanuts ;-)

But hey: Eventwork can also be much less then fun with drunks, hecklers that condemn evry tarot reader as "satans spawn", and travelling long boring distances.

But who said it would be absolutely easy to work with tarot? :)

Yeah I agree with you completely. It can potentially be quite a burn-out to go through a TON of people with private readings who are all rather distressed.

I think that's why I'm currently leaning towards getting my certification to be a therapist and work privately. At least with that I can make more of an investment with each person and build more of a relationship (and feel more fulfilled because I can SEE progression). In that environment I can go through other things and levels with it as well -- just more diverse in that regard. I can use the tarot as a tool that way.. among many other things that I find fascinating. The whole just giving readings and then sending them on their way in hopes that they actually make a positive shift with it completely on their own is just... less fulfilling for me.

It's been a thought in the back of my mind for quite a few years, I think trying out this experience has just kind of put the "cherry on top the sundae" for me so to speak.

lotus2blossom

Sorry to hear about the stressful people!

I think, for me, this is a question of boundaries & deciding what I am & am not wiling to tolerate. If my business is going to be sustainable for me, I have to strike a balance where I am not dealing with real crazies, but at the same time am tolerant & understanding of people's distress.

Sounds like you are clear about your policies & you handled the first situation well by reminding your client what is acceptable.

A colleague reminded me that when people are trying to heal they can get uncomfortable & scared & act out, & that is what I will get thrown at me sometimes. So just be prepared for it & know it's not personal, & also maintain those boundaries!

Yeah, definitely covering bases with policies is a big one. Thanks for the input.

Tarotiana

Yeah I agree with you completely. It can potentially be quite a burn-out to go through a TON of people with private readings who are all rather distressed.

I think that's why I'm currently leaning towards getting my certification to be a therapist and work privately. At least with that I can make more of an investment with each person and build more of a relationship (and feel more fulfilled because I can SEE progression). In that environment I can go through other things and levels with it as well -- just more diverse in that regard. I can use the tarot as a tool that way.. among many other things that I find fascinating. The whole just giving readings and then sending them on their way in hopes that they actually make a positive shift with it completely on their own is just... less fulfilling for me.

It's been a thought in the back of my mind for quite a few years, I think trying out this experience has just kind of put the "cherry on top the sundae" for me so to speak.

Hi,

I've gone that road of getting my certification as a therapist for 2 years, and then stopped, when I realised that as a therapist I am "allowed ;-)" to see people with heaps of fears, compulsive disorders, depression etc. etc. each and every day as a therapist...

And those are people with graver problems then tarot clients...(argh!!!)

Yes, it is nice to see their mental health improve. But not if my mental health de-creases at the same time.. ;-)

Yes, it is nice that their health insurance covers the cost of the sessions. But only if they have grave problems. And the graver their problems, the easier it is to get those clients...ohoh...

In fact: If you are ready to work as a therapist with people with aggressive sociopathic disorders, it is very easy to have insurances send you clients :) Drmroll: You can almost start today.

I doubt that their insurance will cover tarot work usually. But hey, you can try ;-)

But I am sure, that this road is not for me. (At the thought of it, I am already running away and screaming...hihi ;-)