A/t Herb Garden ?

Blackbird

Thank you asphodel for all your info, i will put a couple of the seeds in a window box first and see what happens,

Teacups

I might as well add, when they first come up, be careful not to pull them, because the resemble weeds. They come up with 2 large, blue-green or silvery (matter of opinion, I suppose) and hairy leaves that open and lay flat against the soil. They look like any weed along the driveway, or whatever. Like a thistle or something. Then they'll shoot up from there. Do you grow Mullein? or does it grow in your area? It's another herb with silvery/blue leaves and also likes it dry--gravel roadbeds and the like, they could grow side by side and do well together.

mingbop

Is borage that very ugly one ?

Teacups

mingbop said:

hmmm, well..... seed catalogs always do an extreme close-up of the pretty blue 5-pointed-star flower, but the rest of the plant is not at all ... well, it's not elegant. Herbs all look kinda weedy to me, which is kinda what they are.... in a way. They're valuable for qualities other than beauty, shall we say. Aromatic, medicinal, delicious, etc etc. I mean GEE--you want all that AND beauty? :D besides, there's different kinds of beauty.

celticnoodle

thanks again, HC. We do all ready plant lavender, as well as lemon thyme which you also mentioned. I wonder if the cayene pepper will work for the rabbits?! as for the tea leaves and the coffee grounds, I knew they were good for plants, but did not realize that they also helped in keeping away animals!

sonic said:
I was shown how to grow veggies and herbs in make shift containers for people with apartment limited space and or small decks. Use your old laundry basket. Line it with a plastic garbage bag. No need for holes in the bottom. Tada, make shift pot. I was worried about root rot but I made sure not to over water and let me tell you, EVERYTHING grew. Onions, herbs, tomatoes. I didn't have to do anything but plant and water. I was amazed.
very interesting, sonic. now that you mention it, I recall my last beautician planted pansies in the small white garbage bags, with a bit of dirt in them, and hung them from her rail on the porch and steps. it was rather nice looking too, now that I recall.

Anam Cara

mingbop said:
I love borage!! However, it reseeds itself very quickly,
at least in our N.Cali. climate, and can be invasive!!
The lovely blue flowers are wonderful in salads or
frozen into ice cubes then served in iced tea or lemonade...
very refreshing flavor, too; a bit like cucumber...
:heart:cara

Eugenia Madora

Here are some pictures from the garden.
This is my first time trying this so we will see if it works!
I think there is a picture of the shamrocks, Toady in the violets and the Rosemary in bloom.

link removed.

Bernice

Eugenia, your plants look so healthy (and happy). We've got heavy clay soil, not a lot of herbs take to it, but the rosemary & wild marshmallow are fine. Would you believe the soils' so bad that even mint has a struggle to survive.

Bee

Eugenia Madora

Thanks Bee,
This is early Spring so the heat hasn't come yet.
My little shamrocks have been holding on for four years now!
I have mint that I'm going to put in a pot. It is so invasive, it goes everywhere.
I took the photo of the Rosemary at the end of its bloom.
EM

Sophie

I've been wondering if borage would grow in this dry Mediterranean climate. I suppose I'll just have to give it a go and find out!