A/t Herb Garden ?

mingbop

Oh I wish my rosemary would flower. I measured it today its 7" high , poor wee soul is frozen. I have decided to make a herb border more than a garden, right along beside the path. Taller stuff at back, right forward to thymes on the edges of the path. If the damn snow and ice would just GO AWAY!!!

Debra

mingbop said:
Oh I wish my rosemary would flower. I measured it today its 7" high , poor wee soul is frozen.

You know there's more than one kind, ming honey, maybe you need a different variety. It wants lots of sun and wind and sandy soil and not much water. Water makes it woody and then it turns black and rots away. Ick.

Our windy coast (central California) is perfect for rosemary and other strong Mediterranean herbs--it's dry and cool. But I can't grow the delicate stuff to save my life. Basil? Forget it. Marjarom, even thyme? Can't be done.

It's rosemary and lavender and succulents in pots.

mingbop

We're sort of similar, high on a slope on moorland, the soil is not heavy and doesnt hold moisture. Is just the long winters and short growing season, and I have heard that it doesnt winter indoors well.I think the solution is to move to southern france.
If I could just work out HOW.
Why are you up ? Wot hell time is it ? You shouldn't be up !!!

Debra

It's 4:03 a.m. and I am studying herbs. :D

The other reason I can't garden is I sleep all day.

mingbop

the bat school of gardening. I like it.

Bernice

Mingbop:
I have decided to make a herb border more than a garden, right along beside the path.
Oh, that would be lovely, and in the evenings there would be a heavenly scent in the air. If I were a gardener (which I'm not), I would have a flourishing herb garden - all green & smelly. And wonderful for the kitchen.

Bee

HearthCricket

I bought some basil and some lavender, Saturday, for an inside garden. Now I need to figure out the best place to put it! But it smells so good. Alas, no rosemary or chives, but I will keep my eye out!!

celticnoodle

Eugenia Madora said:
Here are some pictures from the garden.
This is my first time trying this so we will see if it works!
I think there is a picture of the shamrocks, Toady in the violets and the Rosemary in bloom.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/...n 2008/?action=view&current=Garden2008001.jpg
very nice garden shot. i also noticed your jade in the background and aloe, (i believe?)- in the turtle planter?

I always had aloe before, but for some reason I cannot grow it well anymore. I believe I overwater the poor thing all the time. I plant it in a pot and keep it inside, but it always ends up dying. Will try again this year.

oh Hearthcricket--your purchases sounds devine. I cannot wait to go out and purchase our garden items too. going to the garden center is like a kid going into a toy store for us. :)

Eugenia Madora

The jade plants and aloe thrive on neglect here. I am north of San Diego, California and about 20 miles inland.
The aloes seem to do well even when I forget them. The plants in the turtle have been relocated so they have more room.
I have planted an old kettle barbecue with the succulents that have outgrown their pots.
I can't grow basil or cilantro, it always "bolts". I give up and buy it at the market.

Anam Cara

Eugenia Madora said:
Here are some pictures from the garden.
This is my first time trying this so we will see if it works!
I think there is a picture of the shamrocks, Toady in the violets and the Rosemary in bloom.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/...n 2008/?action=view&current=Garden2008001.jpg
Ohhhh! EM!! LOVELY!!
Thanks for sharing photos of your magickal garden! I've printed
them and tucked them into my gardening journal for inspiration!!

I hope more garden photos get posted here too! ~~hint, hint!~~
I'll post some as soon as I have "after" photos...so far, all I have
is "before" photos...embarassing!!;)
:heart:cara