A Tarot Ethics Question-Fabrication

MedusaWasAMermaid

So, my cousin has a Halloween party every year and for a couple years now she's asked me to read tarot cards for the people at the party. The thing is, one year, she had me flat out fake it with the tarot cards to make it scarier, and I felt kind of crappy about it afterwards. The second year she had me do it, she let me do the readings for real, which was great. I think she'll let me do the readings for real this year. I hope so, because I don't know if I would ever seriously consider faking it again....and I'd probably feel kind of akward trying to explain my reasoning for it, to her- I don't want to offend the cards. It was for entertainment, and I think people only took it half seriously at best (seriously don't think anyone lost sleep over it or made life decisions based on it), but I'm just not sure how I feel about faking it, even for entertainment at a party. I'm afraid the cards will get mad at me. I guess it feels like disrespect, since I look at the cards somewhat like sacred tools, but my family members would never understand that. I have never lied about readings any other time and will sometimes flat out say to the person I'm reading for, that I'm confused about something. I usually get the other person to help me interprit their cards, since they know what is going on in their own lives better than I do. I just help them understand the cards, and they can help figure out what that means to them and their situation. I just don't think I could ever be comfortable with doing a fake reading even for free party entertainment to honor request- how about the rest of you? I'm not saying it's wrong or anything. I just don't feel comfortable with it personally. I liked doing the real readings better. I didn't feel uncomfortable, and I got some practice. The people at the party seemed to like it just as well.

jmd

I'd be careful justifying falsehoods and deceits by the clause 'It was for entertainment' - for each person may undoubtedly seriously entertain the propositions made in the narrative spoken to them.

thorhammer

Yeah, mate, I think it's kind of unfair of her. She's a little confused, or is taking the authenticity thing too far. If she wants an entertainer, she should hire an actor. Then there's no conflict for anyone! I hope it turns out okay!

\m/ Kat

Alta

jmd said:
I'd be careful justifying falsehoods and deceits by the clause 'It was for entertainment' - for each person may undoubtedly seriously entertain the propositions made in the narrative spoken to them.
Yes, it almost goes to the point where at the end of the party you would have to say: "Look folks, I made all those readings up. It was just for laughs."

And think what that would do for your self-respect and credibility.

willowfox

Stick to the real thing, don't take any notice of what your cousin says or wants. Like someone else said, if she wants to have a laugh, then get a comedian.

JonMAblaze

Can you say more about what the fabrication involved? Was it like planting the Death card to come up every time, or were you just spinning the readings in the scariest possible light using whatever cards turned up? I ask because I could see some of my cards being very uncooperative with something like this and throwing up the 10 of Cups and the Sun all night.

Grizabella

Cards are just card stock with pictures. They don't get offended or have any other kind of feelings.

But you're right to feel badly about the people you faked readings for just to scare them. I'm glad you'll never do anything like that again. Lots of people put superstitious stock in tarot readings so I hope none of them are still living in fear of something in their reading that they think just "hasn't happened yet". Maybe you're still in touch with some of them and can tell them it was just for fun. :)

le fey

I don't think you need to explain fear that the cards will be 'mad' at you (that's sort of a fabrication itself isn't it? Planting responsibility for your choices on an inanimate object. Does your toaster get pissed off if you have cereal for breakfast?) - but you can politely but firmly explain that you are much farther along in your personal philosophy about Tarot than you were two years ago, and assure her that her guests will have much more fun and even sense of 'ooh ahh' over actual readings. That you don't need to spook it up, because accuracy is a lot 'spookier' than made up junk any day.

Vadella

I personally, would have been annoyed with my friend. To me tarot is not a tool to play jokes with. It's to help people. I would feel more badly about the people that were lied to instead of the deck being mad at me for it. I'm glad you won't be doing that again. ;)

A couple of my friends want me to read this year at their Halloween party. But of course they want real readings and not jokes for their guests. They know better than to think I would play it like that anyway. haha

Best wishes to you!
xx
Vad

MedusaWasAMermaid

Some people mentioned the cards not having feelings of their own- I suppose that is true, but I give inanimate objects feelings a lot of the time. I don't do it to intentionally shift blame or anything, and I know it's silly, but it's just how I feel. Logically, I know the cards don't feel anything, though they might carry energy or feelings in them. Sometimes I get angry at my computer when it messes up and I cuss it all to pieces, but then I feel guilty for being "mean" to it, so I actually apologize to my computer, since afterall, the poor thing can't help that it's "sick" and it's my fault for not taking better care of it, as well as the fault of the jerks who invented spyware and adware, etc. I guess that my thinking the cards will be upset, could be translated into, "I feel it is disrespectful to my spiritual beliefs" and is beneath what the cards are meant to do.

Anyway, I did feel bad about the people getting the readings because I don't like to decieve people about these sorts of things- and the people that do make me angry and frustrated. In fact, I often tell people I'm not the best at reading and the cards aren't magical, so the readings aren't 100% accurate 100% of the time, and if the reading sounds really wrong, then they need to consider that maybe it is wrong- a bad reading. However, I don't think any of the people at the party truly believe in tarot cards. I mean, most people let their imaginations wonder, "what if?" about all sorts of things, but I don't think any of these people really believe in it, and knowing them like I do (all friends and family or acquaintances at least), I'd say most of them forgot about it the next time anything half way interesting happened in their lives- such as a new crush, a test, or a birthday. I still wouldn't do it again.

Oh, and someone asked how I faked it. I might have read false meanings into some cards that weren't obviously happy ones, but I also somehow managed to make negative cards show up on purpose. I don't recall how I did it because I am not good with manipulating cards on purpose. I prob. used distraction somehow, since I don't know how else I could have pulled it off. I can't cheat at cards or anything- and while I did know one or two simple card tricks in the past, I don't recall any of them since I barely memorized them before I stopped using them. So, I'm really not sure how I did it. That was a few years ago, so I don't recall the details so well. I apologized to my cards later, as I felt I had been disrespectful and I intended to tell the people, but things got in the way, and I never did- most of the time when I see them now, it doesn't cross my mind since there is so much other stuff going on or running through my head. However, I know these people and they don't seem to be paying any mind to it. They prob. knew it was a trick, though, since everyone got terrible readings and I'm sure they discussed them amongst each other. Plus, I think I've told some of these people since then that the death card doesn't normally mean literal death, anyway. Even if I thought it did, I'd be hesitant to predict that. If I get the chance though, I think I'll tell some of the people that the one reading was fake. It was the one and only time I've ever did that and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I usually let people shuffle the cards themselves, since I feel it is more affective, but if they do have me do the shuffling, I don't try to manipulate anything and I read the cards as I think they should be read, and usually involve the other person in interpritation.

I really don't understand the people who actually fake it on a regular basis for money and they actually try to make the people getting the reading BELIEVE it is real. A lot of those poor people take it seriously, worry over the bad readings, get false hopes over the good ones, make decisions based on it, and spend their needed cash on it. I couldn't stomach myself if I did that for a living. It sounds like easy money, but I just couldn't respect myself. I'd be haunted by guilt. In fact, if I thought that one reading of mine really affected anyone, I'd be feeling sick right now. I knew this one jerk who liked to pretend he had extrodinary powers, and so one day I let him give me a reading (no cards involved) for fun. I wasn't taking it seriously, but figured it might be fun and we were all so bored. He ended up offending me terribly when he said something rather cruel and I swear my chest is getting tight just thinking about it. Then he also filled my friend's head with BS and the sad thing is, my friend half-way believed him! I was upset with him partly because he had her dwelling on BS and partly because of what he'd said to me. I was even mad at my friend for believing what he said to her after what he'd said to me. It was terribly cold, and it was BS, so in my mind if she believed what he said to her, she must believe what he'd said to me. To think she could believe it offended me, as well. *sighs* Yeah, I don't need to dwell on this, it is making me angry.

Anyway, I don't judge people for taking money if they believe they are giving authentic readings, but I won't even do that at the moment because I don't trust my skill enough. If I was more confident with my readings I MIGHT. I don't know how I feel about that, but I don't judge others for doing it, as long as they try to be authentic. After they had me do my real readings (that was last year), my cousins told me I should charge and do it for parties. If the readings were genuine readings, I'd enjoy that, but I don't trust myself enough to charge money. I'd prob. do it for free, though. Out of curiosity, how much do people usually charge for that, anyway? I ask because I saw a lady around here at a few festivals doing readings and I was wondering if her price was average or not. She charged $10. I started to ask her for a reading because I like having other people read for me sometimes, but I really didn't have the money to spend on it, since I was low on cash, and me and my friend both read the cards. I figured I'd save the cash and let her read my friend readfor me instead.