Votes: 8 15.1%
  • I am a struggling Full-time Reader, please pass the Ramen Noodles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a prosperous Full-time Reader, making a professional wage

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Faeryreader

I've been a part-time reader for a little over a year now, making some money now and then, here and there, in fits and spurts. What I want to know is how many of you are in my boat, and if any of you out there are career professionals who can support yourself and your families doing readings.

So take the poll and post a little something to let me know the secret of your success or struggles. I'm really curious if going pro full time is a possibility or just a pipe dream.

Papageno

Faeryreader said:
I'm really curious if going pro full time is a possibility or just a pipe dream.

me: occasional/seasonal reader

This is exactly what I was referring to on the Monday Rant thread.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1201831&postcount=18

frankly, my people skills suck, I do not have the right temperament (these two go hand-in-hand obviously).
I have no problems with the other considerations I listed.

bottom line, I'm not quitting my day job, I would starve to death if I had to try making a living as a full-time professional reader. I'm not cut out for it.
if circumstances forced me into a corner, obviously I might be able to adapt.......but only as a last resort.

edited:

oh right.........my consideration #6 - how good are you at handling difficult clients.

well.......I guess if you have bad people skills and a lousy temperament....... the answer is pretty obvious huh :laugh:

KaiMoonshadow

I have been reading as a pro for just over a year now and I make a good part-time wage doing it. I haven't yet been able extend into full-time but then I have quite a few other things to keep me going :) I get most of my Tarot income from online readings, face-to-face readings and parties.

Giulia

I voted but forgot to post. I am a full time reader making a professional wage. It is a lot of work, very hard some days and very rewarding others. Fortunately it is lucrative enough that I can take a break when it becomes too overwhelming.

tarotmama

I wasn't sure how to respond. I consider myself part-time but honestly my biggest struggle is keeping up with the meager business I do get. I charge around $60 an hour now and I make between $60-100 a week doing tarot and that's over and above what I make with my sewing and crafting business which I have been doing for much much longer. The crafting stuff picks up at Christmas time though, and I imagine the tarot stuff will slump? Who knows!

Let's just say I make enough to spend on all the beautiful tarots out there!! :D Oh and purses... I have lots of purses now...

franniee

I am a struggling part timer.

I actually just passed my card out at my daughters gymnastic class to one of the moms....next week I'll get up the courage to pass more around. :D

:laugh:

nicky

I just began reading for money so I am a part-timer for now.. I plan on being full time by 2010. First serious career committment, decision, path I have ever made. My youngest is a sophmore in high school and I promised myself when she graduates I am going to do what I want for a living; as opposed to the last million years of workin for da man. This decision has felt so right I know it will succeed. So...warning... I will be stalking AT for years learning from all of you :)

kerri28

I just do readings occasionally/seasonally

I fall into this catogory. I have weeks/months of readings coming out of my ears and then things slow down. Fortunately I really dont need/depend on the income that i get from reading professionally so I'm alittle more relaxed as to how things flow. Plus I dont advertise but go by word of mout.

BBxxx

Sulis

I just do readings occasionally/seasonally

I voted for this option.
I would probably like to do more readings than I do but I have health problems that make me very unreliable so I'm not good at making and keeping appointments.

If / when I ever get my chronic headaches sorted out then I will put more effort into finding clients and doing readings but for now I do what I can.

celticnoodle

another struggling part timer here! most of my readings are done via the internet or the telephone. i advertise only by word of mouth, and so I know I've got to get some business cards printed and passed out to become the future success I dream about.