Advice/value of a deck (J. Noblet)

decan

Thanks rwcarter!

Yes, at first this morning I posted in the Tarot Trading forum, but because I am just asking for an advice Zephyros moved my post here.
Nevertheless, if I would sell it I will open a thread in the Tarot Trading forum and will not trade it through PM.

gregory

I'm not saying this is you but, I get what PathWalker is saying. Too often people by these 'china doll' decks such as LE decks from MRP or others and place them in the 'investment' section of their collection in hopes that they will go up much like the Beanie Baby back in the 90s'. My personal philosophy on this is that if I can at least sell it for what I paid for it then I'm happy. I got to play with a little piece of art, call it mine, and it didn't really cost me anything. What can happen is that people by rare decks on the secondary market at a huge markup and then the deck fall out of fashion or gets reprinted and now they are stuck with a $$$$ block of paper. Famously the $2000 Alchemical deck on e-bay comes to mind. I feel so bad for the person that bought that because now that deck goes for less then $100.

The more decks that come out the more diluted the collector pool becomes and the less known a deck can become and just because it was printed in the 70s' and is OOP doesn't mean that people will clamor for it now. Only a handful of decks truly hold a great value. Even the MRP decks have taken a dive from their $1000 highs. I can only thing of maybe a dozen decks that have retained their huge asking price on the secondary market.

Keep the deck our of love, use it because it speaks to you, cherish it and it will be of great worth.
Agree. For the record - I paid 38 euros for mine. I wouldn't pay significantly more for it if I "needed" it now - and lord knows I am an obsessive collector. It was limited - but not VERY limited.

An example - I have a deck that was issued in a limited edition of 15 - which is on offer for 200 euros as we speak - and it hasn't sold, even at that price.

If you WANT to sell it - put it up on ebay at a start price of 50 euros and see what happens. IF it is that "valuable" (and if you list it properly - thinks of the deck I got that was good and rare - and was accidentally listed under jewellery and was also spelt wrong !) the price will go up.

Hi,
I haven't too much decks, so if I want to become rich with them I think things would be difficult, Lol
This one a bit special and I really had no idea with regard to a possible price.
Well I don't think it is like gold, it is just to have an idea of a honest price if I sell it (not sure)

You said: "they are only worth what someone will pay on the day."
Yes, in a way, but I am not completely agree here, I think there are some landmarks

The only landmark is what it will sell for. If you set a landmark price and it doesn't sell - then - you didn't have a landmark.

decan

Thanks gregory for your advice; it is much appreciated because when I am looking at your collection, I just think: Wow!
Therefore I suspect that you know a lot concerning this subject :)

gregory

One thing I do know - and let me be brutally blunt here ! - is that serious collectors won't pay hugely over the odds. Most of us have our sources and chat among ourselves. If you are hoping to get a high price - you need an idiot on ebay who DOESN'T know their stuff. You'll actually see threads here with members watching mad ebay auctions for in-print decks - and laughing at the bidders... })

Also - if you were looking there - NEVER believe prices you see on amazon. Unless there is a way to see SOLD prices that I don't know about. There are in-print USGames and LoScarabeo decks up for sale there, labelled HTF, and priced in the hundreds of dollars. :bugeyed:

decan

I never had issues with Amazon itself, but I am careful concerning the sellers who sell on Amazon because one or two times I was disappointed. But for small sums, nothing bad.
Personally I never bought an expensive deck, I was very tempted one time with the Medieval Enchantment by Nigel Jackson, but I didn't buy it.

journeyinghome

One thing I do know - and let me be brutally blunt here ! - is that serious collectors won't pay hugely over the odds. Most of us have our sources and chat among ourselves. If you are hoping to get a high price - you need an idiot on ebay who DOESN'T know their stuff. You'll actually see threads here with members watching mad ebay auctions for in-print decks - and laughing at the bidders... })

There's never anything good on tv these days, so this is our entertainment! ;)

Maybe put it up for trade instead of sale - you might be offered something you'd really like in return :)

gregory

And doing THAT - "value" is truly in the eye of the beholder. Say you have a deck you don't like, that could in theory sell for $100, and someone else who would actually like it has that deck you have wanted for AGES and is OOP.

Win-win. :)

You will see that the Tarot Illuminati - in print and easily available - is on amazon.uk. Look at the "new" listings. Page 2. There is one seller offering it for £135.83. From Russia - takes 15-25 days....

and the kit.... -for £70 and change - which costs £17 as a rule. This is the kind of thing that gives people an inflated idea of "worth".

as for the bag to go with it.... - sure it was a limited one for backers of Tarot Fundamentals, but even so.... who's going to pay £52 for a BAG ?

ETA Oh joy - ebay has some good ones.

A Waite for £999 - and you have to go collect it; it's so SPECIAL.

And even the Law of Attraction - still in print - for £197....

I never GET this....:p

Dee Ell

ETA Oh joy - ebay has some good ones.

A Waite for £999 - and you have to go collect it; it's so SPECIAL.

Apparently they're priced so high because "This set has been used regularly by the famous, international, tested and trained clairvoyant Rosemary Price for about a year. She is tested and recommended by newspapers, magazines and experts as well as celebrity clients."

Click on item description, it's pretty funny for anyone who needs a laugh. (Won't ship "and no you do not meet the famous clairvoyant when you collect them." 😂 )

starlightexp

Apparently they're priced so high because "This set has been used regularly by the famous, international, tested and trained clairvoyant Rosemary Price for about a year. She is tested and recommended by newspapers, magazines and experts as well as celebrity clients."

Click on item description, it's pretty funny for anyone who needs a laugh. (Won't ship "and no you do not meet the famous clairvoyant when you collect them." 😂 )

I just spit my tea!!! Lol