American version Oracle of the Shapeshifters

Miss Divine

Ouch! Sorry I asked...:/

I should be receiving the Dutch version on Wednesday, and I am now more curious than ever to see if these are in fact the same as the Aussie ones.

Aside from my initial disappointment of the American version, I think this deck is unique. I actually like the messages better with these than the Oracle of Shadows and Light. They're deeper, and far from fluffy. You are really gonna enjoy using this deck!

Celtictarot

:laugh: Yeah, don't they sound awful? You must be referring to the ones from the North and they roll their R's (ughh) and when they pronounce the G they sound like they're about to gag!
I live in the Southern part, so no I don't roll or gag when I speak. :D ;)

Oh phew LOL LOL!

Miss Divine

No no, it's okay! :)

My deck has been shipped, by the way! :party:

So happy to hear that!:D

Anyways ladies...I received my Dutch version of the Shapeshifters... And guess what!?!?!?! IT IS EXACTLY LIKE THE AUSSIE except for the language ofcourse. I am sooo happy with this one. The cardstock is top quality. I put both decks side by side, and the Dutch version is like 1/5th higher than the American. I compared the whole deck and there are a total of 20 different cards. 18 of the are completely revised. The remaining 2 the images are just enlarged.
Also 6 of them have completely different titles! I have not had the time to compare what's written in the book because I worked today, did my groceries, cooked and then this so I was exhausted.
If there is anything else you wanna know, just ask! :)

I am totally in love with these :) :heart:

Serenia

Ah, it's good to hear that the Dutch deck is indeed based on the Australian version! :)

But your post also brought my attention to the card size. I always assumed that both versions had the same card size so that it would be possible to combine them and use them as one deck. My German Shadows and Light cards measure exactly 9 x 13,3 cm, while Jasmine Becket-Griffith's website says that the Australian Shapeshifters measure 3.75" x 5.5" which translates to 9,5 x 14 cm. The question is whether this actually means the same or not? I've noticed that the card size given in online shop descriptions is usually rather vague and not precise to the millimeter... If the measurements of the Australian cards are correct, though, it would mean that the Australian cards are slightly higher and wider...

I guess I could still combine them even if the size is slightly different since the backs of the cards differ anyway... still it would be nice to have them in the same size.

Does anyone have some more information about the card size of the different versions?

Miss Divine

The cards are exactly the same size. The only difference is the size of the booklet and box. :)

Serenia

The cards are exactly the same size. The only difference is the size of the booklet and box. :)

Aaaah!

I put both decks side by side, and the Dutch version is like 1/5th higher than the American.

So this refers to how high the deck pile is and not to the card measurements? :) Thank you very much, you just saved me from spending the whole evening thinking about whether or not I could live with different card sizes! *hugs*

Miss Divine

Aaaah!

So this refers to how high the deck pile is and not to the card measurements? :) Thank you very much, you just saved me from spending the whole evening thinking about whether or not I could live with different card sizes! *hugs*

Yes, the stack is higher because the cards are thicker. Sorry I confused you! :heart:

Serenia

Thank you very much for posting the video link! I believe the author of the video is the same person who also did the video on the differences of the Oracle of Shadows and Light?

I'm so happy that I've got the Australian version on the way. For example, I didn't know about the card backs of the US version before this video. I think they're okay (winged frogs, why not), but they simply don't fit in with the energy of the deck.
For some reason, a lot of the new US cards seem to have girls with rather broad faces, probably to make them look cuter, whereas the Australian version looks more natural to me - see the Golden Phoenix, for example, or The Delicate Faery And Her Ferret(s). The author of the video says that she feels that the US version is more coherent in terms of artwork, but I disagree. For me, not all, but several of the changed cards really stick out. And although I'm happy with my version of the Oracle of Shadows and Light, I'm still struggling with some of the cards that were changed. And it's a pity that they took the darker cards out of the deck.

And another good reason for the Australian version: I don't care about the increased animal variety, I want more wolves and phoenixes! ;)