Article in the Daily Mail Uk- bit one-sided.

Promise

Just reading the headline pissed me off.

Tarot reader does NOT equal psychic. If you're going to write a piece about Tarot reading, then call it what it is; don't twist it around by using loaded words meant to incite your audience and cause an instant prejudice.

Second of all, her "friends" told her this "psychic" had a 100% accuracy rate and she was naive enough to believe it. Seriously, who would believe that ANYONE can be 100% successful at ANYTHING? Last time I checked, humans aren't infallible, regardless of whether you're a Tarot reader, a medium, a psychic, a stock broker, or a janitor. We all make mistakes, and no one's perfect. An educated person should be able to figure that out.

Sounds to me like she's someone who is too immature to take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences of them, and someone who was too emotionally invested to make a logical, rational decision. If she truly cared about her marriage and her spouse, she wouldn't have thrown them away based on the words of a virtual stranger. That would be the kind of thing a person would fight for if they really wanted to make it work.

"Psychics claim to be your friend and to have your best interests at heart - but it simply isn't true." I resent the hell out of that statement.

What the hell happened to journalistic ethics? Apparently this chick missed that memo.

shadowdancer

Sadly it is a reflection of the press in the UK. There was a time where maybe one or two newspapers were seen as nonsensical, with the remainder having a semblance of decorum and propriety.

It is sad to see that even those newspapers have forgone the idea of impartial news in favour of headline tatt which sells. I stopped buying or reading newspapers in the UK years ago because of this. They also have a bias towards sensationalism whereby it is possible to become depressed or cynical if you take on board everything they say. News, and I mean REAL news, good or not so good takes a back seat if another headline is more sensational and sellable.

I have to now rely on the online news page but even that is not as unbiased as it used to be.

We live in an age where sensationalism and tatt sells. Well, not to me. :( :(

Davina

Aerin

We've talked about the dangers of using cards/ going to a reader for every little decision before on this forum. We've also taked about the responsibility the reader has to leave power in the hands of the querent. The article is sensationalist (as you might expect) but is an extreme example of why these things matter.

There are people around who want to be dependent, and sadly people who will take advantage of that to make money. There are.

Lillie

Hilarious!

Why do people care what the Daily Mail says???
Yeah, it would be funnier if it had been in The Sun, and there would have been more sex in the story if it had been in The Sport, but the Mail?
It thrives on feeding fear to the middle classes.

It's not like it's news...
It's probably not even true.
It's certainly one of the stupidest stories I've ever heard, apart from the people who blow equal amounts of money on scratch cards and pet manicures.
And if it is true she is a silly cow who deserved everything she got, and if I ever become a professional tarot reader I'll be hoping for someone like her who will pay me vast amounts of money to tell her what colour to paint the kitchen and which pair of knickers she should wear.
(plain black cotton ones is generally my advice)

But anyway reading it gave me a laugh, so thanks for that :)
I rather like the crossword in The Mail, but honestly I'm not buying that rag for the pleasure of doing a not very difficult cryptic crossword.

Muir Aingeal

Lillie said:
And if it is true she is a silly cow who deserved everything she got, and if I ever become a professional tarot reader I'll be hoping for someone like her who will pay me vast amounts of money to tell her what colour to paint the kitchen and which pair of knickers she should wear.
(plain black cotton ones is generally my advice)

Oh Lillie you always crack me up :laugh:

nisaba

LavenderMist said:
Oh Lillie you always crack me up :laugh:
Me, too. I go with white or pastel colours every time - doesn't show under pale-coloured clothes!

Aladdin

As Lillie says it probably isn't even true - i would add almost definitely not !
Most of what was printed is clearly laughable designed to (they think) feed on subliminal fears of what the Mail sees as an everyday distortion for the mollification of their compliant consrevative voting folk.
I know this is not the place for political diatribe so won't go on at length here.
There is however a danger here in that this organ of right wing knee jerking wants to secure a far more authoritarian, controlled, regulated society whilst berating guidelines from the EU. There is the tudulent stink of hypocrisy with this and somehow is redolent of false profiles on dating sites.
On recollection i'm sure i've seen these womens photos elsewhere but cannot as yet place them !
For this reason i will not have anything relating to Murdoch in the house, Sky, Mail and other waste of rain forest. Under newish health and safety law fish and chips are not allowed to be wrapped in newspaper anymore but the Daily Mail could produce violent arse ache and piles applied more appropriately.

Libra8ca

This article is very unbalanced (maybe like the person who wrote it!) Unfortunately a lot of people read this crap and it perpetrates the prejudice that all psychics are frauds and all people who go to psychics are needy / weak/ lack self-determination etc.
This is the reason why I'm careful whom I tell about my interest in tarot / psychics.

Lillie

Aladdin said:
As Lillie says it probably isn't even true - i would add almost definitely not !
Most of what was printed is clearly laughable designed to (they think) feed on subliminal fears of what the Mail sees as an everyday distortion for the mollification of their compliant consrevative voting folk.
I know this is not the place for political diatribe so won't go on at length here.
There is however a danger here in that this organ of right wing knee jerking wants to secure a far more authoritarian, controlled, regulated society whilst berating guidelines from the EU. There is the tudulent stink of hypocrisy with this and somehow is redolent of false profiles on dating sites.
On recollection i'm sure i've seen these womens photos elsewhere but cannot as yet place them !
For this reason i will not have anything relating to Murdoch in the house, Sky, Mail and other waste of rain forest. Under newish health and safety law fish and chips are not allowed to be wrapped in newspaper anymore but the Daily Mail could produce violent arse ache and piles applied more appropriately.

Oh Yay!!!!!!! :D

The funniest thing I ever heard about the Mail was some comedian that said (And I'm afraid I forget who) that the best way to do a Daily Mail readers head in was to tell them that illegal immigrants were the natural predators of paedophiles.

Possibily you have to know the Mail to get the joke, but I assure you, it's witty, clever and very true.

214red

Promise said:
What the hell happened to journalistic ethics? Apparently this chick missed that memo.
i dont think you can put the daily mail and journalists in the same sentence!