Beginner Advice please

Asta

Hi Everyone
I am very new to tarot & so I have some questions. I hope I am posting in the right forum.
I want to use tarot for self knowledge & personal growth & to read for myself.
My tarot deck is a used deck The mythic tarot deck, anyone else use this deck & how do you find it to work with.

I am reading books & trying other web sites to learn the card meanings, One of the sites I use (Lotus Tarot) does a six card universal spread how accurate do you think these on line generated spreads are as I seem to get very good consistent readings.

As a beginner I can only do readings for myself but I read that you should not do more than one reading a week or month for your self. ??

So how can I learn the cards if I have no one to read for, & what advice could you give to a beginner sorry to bore you all thank you for looking.

Asta.

StarUpInTheSky

Hey, glad to see a new face. I posted the same question about how often not to long ago. What I'v learned overall is read whenever you want to. There is no wrong in tarot. Once a week, once a month, thats what other people think or do. Do what feels right to you.

----->My post- http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=63021

"I am reading books & trying other web sites to learn the card meanings"
While its good to get information from other places. its also a good idea to take some time to think about what each card means. Its better to use your ideas to guide your readings then memorized definitions.
Best of luck with your deck and readings
~*Mel*~

lolita

Hello Asta and welcome to AT!!!!

If you do a little search you will find a lot of threads to answer you.

Hack, i was same as you (and still am). Had same questions. Learned tarot from internet and books, it took me ages. Then i started to pick up cards.

And as my interests are same as yours (self knowledge, personal growth...), i just couldn't learn from reading for others, wouldn't you agree? I didn't know what to do...

And then i found this wonderful forum, where everyone is saying: Do as you like!!!!

You can read for yourself 20 times a day, (just not the same question over and over) if you like. There are threads with lots of idea how to do that, a card a day, motto of the day, 3 card spreads...

I still don't do readings for others, but i do a lot of readings for my self, and i'm happy!!!!

Hope you'll find everything you need to walk your path.

XXX
T.

mabthescorpio

Hi Asta!

Welcome to the world of tarot!

I tend to not be a fan of online readings. I like the solid feel of cards in my hands. But if it works for you, use it! How are the readings with your Mythic Tarot deck going?

I agree with Mel! Read for yourself as often or as seldom as you like! A lot of people do a daily 1, 2, or 3 card draw for their day. I'm sure you can find some of these on the web or in the spreads forum here. Are you keeping a tarot journal? That's very helpful in meditating on and tracking the progress of daily draws. Some people do one reading at the beginning of the week, drawing a card for each day of the week to come. Others do readings whenever they feeling it's necessary for whatever their question or concern might be.

I honestly have no routine. If I feel like drawing a card for the day, I do. Sometimes I get in tarot moods and I read for hours and hours about anything and everything. Then I'll go days without picking up the cards. I record all of my readings in either my online or offline tarot journal, sometimes both, although lately I've been leaning toward the online one. You have to do what works for you.

Amber
http://princessofcups7.livejournal.com

StarUpInTheSky

mabthescorpio said:
Hi Asta!
I record all of my readings in either my online or offline tarot journal, sometimes both, although lately I've been leaning toward the online one. You have to do what works for you.
[/url]

I find the online journal very useful because I don't like to write by hand very much. Since its all on a webpage and not on a Word doc. i dnt have to worry about the computer crashing. A useful tool to get feedback to!
~*Mel*~

mabthescorpio

Two other things you might consider:

Reading for a close, patient family member or friend. They're good practice and they tend not to mind when you have to say, "Hold on," and flip through your book to look cards up.

Also, joining tarot swap groups where you can do readings for other members and they'll do readings for you. This is a good way to get practice and to get feedback on your readings from other tarot readers. I think there's a forum on here. You can also check out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TarotTrade and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tarot_Swaps_And_Lessons

Asta

A serious question help

Hi again everyone

Thank you all for the great advice now im a little concerned about something today I got my tarot deck in the post, I have not yet looked at the cards but i started to read the book. Then I got a phone call from a family member who just informed me a family member has just died this morning, does this mean anything should i leave the cards alone, I still feel happy to use the cards but after some advice please thanks again.

Asta

mabthescorpio

Hi Asta,

I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family. But no, I don't think the tarot is in any way connected to this. Tarot cards only have the power you give them.

~Amber~

Lain_82

First of all, welcome!!!!!! Tarot is a wonderfull art, I'm happy you are trying to get in touch with yourself through it.

If you have any specific questions about how to read, there is an index with related topics that can help you:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15119

Also here is the "what do the cards mean" index:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=14874

I'm rather new to tarot too (started on february) but I've learned a lot of valuable things on this forum.

About your questions, here's what I think:
---> I mostly do readings for myself. start with simple 3 card spreads; they teach you how to connect the cards and they can be very insightfull too. Sometimes less is more. As long as u don't obssess and start asking the same question over and over again you'll do just fine. Also it's good to do a daily one-card reading. It gives you something to think about and you get familiar with the wide range of meanings each card has.

---> Don't try to do everything at the same time. All over the net there are sites that give you 100000 different meanings for each card, but before you go crazy trying to learn them all, spend some time looking at each card and coming up wih a meaning of your own. That's an easy way to learn each card. when you're reading, don't go directly to the books looking for an explanation but analize the cards and let them "talk". in the forum search engine look for posts with the words "intuitive readings". That can be helpfull. If you think a card is telling you something but you don't see that meaning on this forum or a book don't think you're wrong; it's your deck and that meaning is right for you.

---> I'm sorry to hear about a family member passing away, but I don't think your cards are related to it in any way. I just don't see them having that kind of power. To me, Tarot is a way to connect to my inner guide (or guardian angel) and to myself and understand me a little better. However, if somehow you feel uneasy about reading because of this then don't do it. If there's anything I've learned is that there are no right or wrong answers when you're dealing with Tarot.

:D

Asta

Thankyou

Hi Amber

Thank you for the advice it helps me feel better I was unsure what to do Thank you once again.

I can now take a look at my cards & maybe try my first 3 card spread & thank you to every one else for the very helpful advice.

Asta.