Beginner to Tarot

Deana86

Hi all, I'm a complete new beginner. You may have seen my newbie post in new members.

I have asked a question regarding my crystals, my new question is in relation to Tarot cards and readings.

As a complete newbie, I have not purchased a deck of tarots yet, there are so many decks to choose from and I'm not sure exactly how I am meant to choose a specific deck. Is there a certain way to choosing? Is there a beginners deck to tarots that I should buy?

Also, can I do readings on myself? How often can I do my own readings to myself? And hints and tips on how to start out and what I can and can't do when starting from the very beginning?

Thank you

JoannaCrystal

Hi all, I'm a complete new beginner. You may have seen my newbie post in new members.

I have asked a question regarding my crystals, my new question is in relation to Tarot cards and readings.

As a complete newbie, I have not purchased a deck of tarots yet, there are so many decks to choose from and I'm not sure exactly how I am meant to choose a specific deck. Is there a certain way to choosing? Is there a beginners deck to tarots that I should buy?

Also, can I do readings on myself? How often can I do my own readings to myself? And hints and tips on how to start out and what I can and can't do when starting from the very beginning?

Thank you
Hi Deana 😊

So, for me the best Tarot Deck for beginners is the Rider Waite.. It's the universal deck, and the imagery is very helpful to understand them!!
But, if you go To buy your deck and someone else calls for you, like, you keep looking at it and feeling some sort of connection, you should buy that one!

You can do readings for you any time you want to! But my advice is to start slowly with for example one card per day! In the morning you get up and ask your guide to tell you what type of energy you'll have around you during the day! And then during the day you'll trying to feel that energy around you! Even in little things.. That's a great way to connect with your cards!!
My advice about learning the meanings is.. First, take a look at the first card.. Any card you want.. You can do it in order and start with the majors or you can shuffle your deck and pick one and start looking at the card!! Write everything down about what you see.. Everything you feel!! That's an awesome way!!
About books to buy, I would say "Tarot reading using storytelling technics" by Madhavi Ghare..
This girl is amazing explaining how and what to see in the cards and how to connect with them!! She's amazing, completely amazing!! I'm a huge fan of her work! Joan Bunning is also a great author 😊

I hope I could help somehow!!

Much light for you

Enviado do meu A0001 através de Tapatalk

Deana86

Thank you so much Joanna, this has helped alot. I will be going out today to buy the deck. If anything is screaming at me, ill be sure to grab that deck instead.

I'm excited, I love hearing opinions and stories from others whether they read for themselves or on others. I will make sure to buy a journal to write down everything I see and feel from my daily cards.

Thank you so much for your help and advice

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Papa Tango

Hi Deana, and welcome to the forum and the world of Tarot!

You will find many friendly and helpful people from all walks of life and methodologies for interacting with cards and the 'practice' of Tarot. This said, here are a couple comments and suggestions. They reflect my own opinions--and those that disagree can, well--disagree! :p

The most popular symbolic format in many countries are decks based on the Rider-Waite-Smith artwork. There are a number of 'minor' variations in terms of coloration--and more serious ones that change the characters or symbols, but still generally follow the archetypal model of the RWS.

Then there are literally hundreds of other deck designs that are target toward those appreciative of "classical & historic" decks of early Tarot history--and those that are based on the artists own whimsical, metaphysical, social, or other interpretations. The IMPORTANT thing here is to choose a deck that you feel drawn to, and comfortable with. This deck should begin to "speak" to you--in that the images convey meanings that you can use for interpretations.

That said, the RWS is a good "first time" deck--and a foundation to begin exploring other options. Reading "for yourself" in my estimation is where EVERYONE that is first learning needs to start. Whilst doing things for others is a wonderful thing, I seriously doubt that you are going to turn mechanical repairs to your car--or your healthcare--to someone who just got their first box of tools--or bought a Littman stethoscope on the internet... :bugeyed:

Learning or ascribing meaning to cards, the use of different spreads, etcetera, while learning and using that on oneself is good business! You likely know yourself reasonably well (it's hoped!) and can hence better get a feel for how your understanding of the imagery of the cards (and/or interpretive systems of others) really bears out in pragmatism and practicality.

Now, to the other BIG DEAL. There again are hundreds upon hundreds of books, websites, 'gurus', and method-thumpers out there that directly or subtly insist that one method is superior--or that one method is the ONLY true system for understanding the meanings of the cards. Some are deeply wound up in esoteric/occult wisdom or claptrap to be virtually impossible to understand in short order--others are based in other more humanistic frames.

There are basically two schools of Tarot approach. The 'classical' or historic system is based in the aforementioned systems of metaphysical lore and involve very defined and rigorous interpretation. The other is rooted in the concept that the individual themselves calls out meanings based on their own perception and interpretation of the archetypes and social models of the cards. In between these two approaches lie a myriad of combinations and systems.

The most "popular' derives from the works of A.E. Waite & Paul Foster Case, and wildly popularized in the 60s and 70s by Eden Gray. This latter (plus the venerable Celtic Cross spread) likely remain the dominant foundation for beginners and conventional practitioners. The purchase of a RWS deck, and Gray's "A Complete Guide to Tarot" remain a sound 'middle course' introduction and jumping off point. In the final analysis, one must find, research, and apply what works best with their own intuition, interest, and abilities.

From there, lots of mainline books and websites by well known practitioners such as Mary Greer and Benebell Wen can deepen and widen ones thinking. Conversation with those here in this and other fora can lead you to different directions as well.

Again, welcome and enjoy! There is no "wrong way" to use and learn Tarot--unless it is for the manipulation and exploitation of others... :mad:

RiverRunsDeep

Hi, Deana86! :) IMHO, there are endless resources right here on the forum to get you started on your tarot journey.

If you want to jump right in and begin exploring the many different decks that are available, you can check out AT's Tarot Gallery.

If you'd like to stick with decks in the Rider-Waite system, as others have recommended, check out the Beginner Decks that follow that format.

When I was brushing up on my tarot knowledge after a long hiatus, I found Thirteen's information about tarot meanings to be especially helpful.

Also, there are endless threads to explore about the cards and all about reading.

There is a lot of information out there, and I know it can seem overwhelming! Take it one step at a time and, most importantly, begin with the decks and information that draw your interest the most. Good luck on your journey!

Mi-Shell

Very good post, Papa Tango :)

Welcome to the forum,Deana86!
I have taught many folks how to read Tarot - or better said "the Voice of the Cards"

It is a good plan to get a Rider Waite deck and first get familiar with the so called "traditional meanings" ascribed to the cards. Also, get a book/ journal and write down what you yourself see/ sense in the image = your take on things....
A book I like to give to my students is "The Tarot Workbook" by Nevil Drury.
Each card is briefly described, so it is not overwhelming, but also the author asks YOU questions pertaining to the image and which life experiences you had, that are similar or that the image reminds you of....
For each card there are exercises like that, that bring the cards to life.
So the Rider Waite may be your very first - or learning deck and then you can go forth and find other decks with imagery, that jives more closely to you personally. Then you can compare and contrast the Rider Waite images and also the card write-ups to your new decks and deepen your learning. Eventually you may have several decks you are intimately familiar with.
The bigggggest "danger" on the Aeclectic Tarot site is, that there are sooooo many different decks and soooo many people with different tastes and interests, that in the beginning it will seem quite overwhelming. And yes, you may fall head over tea kettle into buying a whole slue of decks..... :bugeyed:
We all have done that and some members here have HUUUUUGH and wonderful collections :)

MissChiff

There are tons of videos on YouTube you can check out about tarot decks...it has saved me a bit of money.

CrystalSeas

If you want to see a lot of decks at once, or check out one that sounds interesting, click on the "Tarot Gallery" link in the top menu bar.

Deana86

Very good post, Papa Tango :)

Welcome to the forum,Deana86!
I have taught many folks how to read Tarot - or better said "the Voice of the Cards"

It is a good plan to get a Rider Waite deck and first get familiar with the so called "traditional meanings" ascribed to the cards. Also, get a book/ journal and write down what you yourself see/ sense in the image = your take on things....
A book I like to give to my students is "The Tarot Workbook" by Nevil Drury.
Each card is briefly described, so it is not overwhelming, but also the author asks YOU questions pertaining to the image and which life experiences you had, that are similar or that the image reminds you of....
For each card there are exercises like that, that bring the cards to life.
So the Rider Waite may be your very first - or learning deck and then you can go forth and find other decks with imagery, that jives more closely to you personally. Then you can compare and contrast the Rider Waite images and also the card write-ups to your new decks and deepen your learning. Eventually you may have several decks you are intimately familiar with.
The bigggggest "danger" on the Aeclectic Tarot site is, that there are sooooo many different decks and soooo many people with different tastes and interests, that in the beginning it will seem quite overwhelming. And yes, you may fall head over tea kettle into buying a whole slue of decks..... :bugeyed:
We all have done that and some members here have HUUUUUGH and wonderful collections :)
Thanks Mi-Shell, it's overwhelming almost at how much there is to learn and read, however I feel like I'm in safe hands with this forum.

I'm excited to get my deck and start to learn and understand each card. Does each deck regardless of which one is screaming at me to buy come with a book on the card meanings?
When I begin to write in my journal, my perception and what I see and feel from the cards, what if my perception is wrong? Is it possible to have a wrong perception on cards?

Thank you

Deana86

Hi, Deana86! :) IMHO, there are endless resources right here on the forum to get you started on your tarot journey.

If you want to jump right in and begin exploring the many different decks that are available, you can check out AT's Tarot Gallery.

If you'd like to stick with decks in the Rider-Waite system, as others have recommended, check out the Beginner Decks that follow that format.

When I was brushing up on my tarot knowledge after a long hiatus, I found Thirteen's information about tarot meanings to be especially helpful.

Also, there are endless threads to explore about the cards and all about reading.

There is a lot of information out there, and I know it can seem overwhelming! Take it one step at a time and, most importantly, begin with the decks and information that draw your interest the most. Good luck on your journey!
Thank you. This really helps and I am getting stuck into all the resources this forum has. I can see there is plenty to read.

I'm so grateful to everyone who has given me there advice and taking me under their wing. I'm nervous but at the same time excited.

Let my reading behind :)