Behind Your Back - Querents

shadowdancer

well I am a bit different :)

I tend to turn or deal the card so it faces the querant, and as I chat about what I am seeing, I am able to point the symbol or whatever out to them. I don't have problems with this, as the decks I find I use for face to face readings are ones I am really familiar with by that stage, so looking at them upside down doesn't bother me.

Reason I do this?

I dunno.... I guess I find it involves them more in the reading. They WANT to look at the card and understand the nuances and see the story as it unfolds.

Davina

greycats

I do adjacent sides, as Sulis and rachelcat do. And sometimes, especially if the layout is one of the larger ones, I, myself, will get up and view it from another angle. More than once, both I and the client ended up trooping around the table. :D But then again the setting for my readings is fairly informal.

saleeneh

Wow GD another question that no one asks but is really good..

I never even thought about it. Since there are no rules in tarot most of us just find out what works for us, that is why it is cool to get a reading from someone you are not famaliar with cause it is soooo different.

I almost always sit next to the querent, if the setting doesnt allow this then I read with the cards facing me and then I will turn cards around as needed to show the querent. Actually, unless the querent is famaliar with tarot they really dont even ask most of the time, they usually keep their eyes fixed on me (which I find disconcerting sometimes) as I look at the cards.

It is actually a good way to find if your client has some knowledge of tarot, because as you/they draw the cards they will be watching to see the cards, rather than watching your face.

greatdane

Thank you all so much for your thoughts!

I always have seen querents on the opposite side of a table from readers (ok, granted mostly in movies or something, but still). REALLY interesting how you each have you own way of going about the reading with your querent. RachelCat, you are tooo funny.

GD

Teheuti

rachelcat said:
I always try to get the querant to sit beside me so they can see the cards upright. I have a little square table where I read, and we sit on two contiguous sides instead of across, and the cards are a bit tilted to us both.
Me, too. Only I prefer a round table.

greatdane

Again, I never knew....

I thought querents were always opposite and readers might turn cards, but never have querent beside or behind them. Well, you don't ask, you don't know....I figure MUCH better to ask these questions now then a year from now and have everyone think, she's been here a year and she doesn't KNOW that! :))))

The Crone, growing in knowledge by the megasecond :))

Marcia959

I try to use a round table when possible and I end up sitting a "trine" away so that if they want to see it from my view, they can. I don't mind scooting over to show them my view. Since I read in different places, sometimes it's not always my choice of tables. So if there's a particular point I want to make about a card, I'll pick it up and hand it to them so they see my point of view.

Of course, I've read while sitting in the street too. I don't object to that either except I prefer to keep my cards clean so they last longer.

I like the round table the best, though.

greatdane

Thanks, Marcia!

So much for what the movies portray.....:))

Myrrha

greatdane said:
OK, I know you that read a lot for others may think this an odd question, but when you're doing a reading, the cards are facing you (because, well, YOU'RE doing the reading), do querents ever try to come behind you to see cards as you're seeing them or kind of want to read over your shoulder rather than see cards upside down facing them? I know many of you are laaaugghing as you're reading this, because it's funny to me too, but really wanted to know. And if so, do you let them or make them go back to their chair! :)

The Crone With Questions
GD

I read for friends, not strangers or paid clients, but I never ever do readings with the sitter sitting across from me so the cards are upside down from their POV. My reading style is visual so they need to be able to see it right side up. Also, it doesn't seem like it would be their reading if it is upside down to them and right side up to me. Instead I sit next to the person on the couch or at a table, that way they can follow along. Having them across from me would just feel too weird.

nisaba

greatdane said:
when you're doing a reading, the cards are facing you (because, well, YOU'RE doing the reading), do querents ever try to come behind you to see cards as you're seeing them or kind of want to read over your shoulder rather than see cards upside down facing them?
Not usually.

Most people consider you an authority, and stay where you place them.

If I'm working on a circular table, I tend to position people so they are not directly opposite me, but can see the cards well. If I'm on a rectangular or square table, I'll sit them at right angles to me so that they are not actually "the reader", but so that it is easier for them to see how the spread really looks.

It's just a politeness from me to my clients.