Best Bargains

baba-prague

Oh - reading the previous message makes me remember that I got an unopened Rohrig in the local secondhand bookshop for abuot $8 (equivalent). The man who runs the shop just wanted someone to buy it - he usually deals in much more historical books.

I have to admit, I am not mad on the Rohrig, so this one may come up for trade sometime (but I do want to look through it).

catlin

One of my best finds was the Engel-Tarot by Alois Hanslian (oop) for about 8$.

It was in a shop which usually does not sell tarot decks, only fantasy books and role-play stuff.

zagone

I picked up Enchanted Tarot and its book new for $9.00 online once. It was a real deal because the book was hardback and fullcolor -- the best quality deck book I have seen.

I picked up Tarot of the Old Path used off eBay for around $7.00. Which is not that far below the new cost, but this let me get one of the old decks with the silver glowing eyes they don't paint on the newer decks.

-- Zagone

All Is One

Ouch

The Enchanted Tarot set was about $32.00 in this fancy gift shop in Cambria when I got it back in 1994. It's true - the hdbk book is beutifully done. Lucky you. I have found very few real bargains... but several of my decks are oop now and I saw one of my very favorites, The Magickal Tarot listed used by an Amazon seller for over 100.00 about a year ago. (I got it for Xmas when the bookcase box set was selling for about $30.00. ) I would love to find better bargains - following this thread and taking notes.

Gerbear

I was traveling throigh the Inland Empire, when I saw a New Age store with a 'sale' sign. The stores' lease is almost up and they decided not to renew. I headed straight for the Tarot section, but it had been gone over pretty good. However back in the corner of one shelf was a Norse Tarot, complete, but looking rather tattered around the box. The manager said I could have it for Ten dollars. I hesitated for a few nanoseconds and scooped it up. I thought it would qualify for this thread.

Asher

I haunt all the used bookstores I can find, both at home and when travelling. I live about 5 blocks from the largest one and am there at least 3-4 times a week. Everything is 1/2 price (it's not Half-Price Books, though, just a local operation) and I have gotten some great deals.

For example, a signed and numbered Tarot of Napoleon ($10), the Prediction tarot ($5), Anthony Clark's Magickal Tarot ($15), the Healing Earth Tarot ($10), the Necromantic ($10) and the Hoi Polloi ($10). I also pick up 2nd copies of decks as mine wear out (though not great bargains, still 1/2 price).

When I still lived back east, the manager of a shop I was reading at gave me a Sheridan-Douglas deck for $15! I held my breath and kept my cool till I got to my car.

My best _bargain_ was getting all 3 Gomi decks in a trade for a deck that I only paid $10 for -- an ugly Tarot Acquario (very rare but I never liked it, so happy with the trade).

I love finding these gems, though you need to be patient and shop often.

Asher

Gerbear

A Necromantic for $10? That's great. And that 'ugly' deck went for more then the three Gomi decks combined, recently on ebay. I say that, because I found a source for the Gomi decks at $35 each. When you are ready to get rid of some excess decks, please visit our trading forum :)

bighairymonster

I got an Osho Zen for free from Amazon. *scratches head in bewilderment* I ordered a book and paid for the book, but then I got the book AND Osho.....checked my bank statements. Nope, they didn't charge me for it. E-mailed Amazon about it. Apparently they've got bad customer service 'coz they sure didn't reply.

One of the cards is bent, but that's alright I suppose. It's not like I'm going to use them. :)

lark

My little secret

Some of my biggest tarot bargains have come from edwardrhamilton.com Click on View new Subject List Click on Tarot And BANG you're there. A few examples of what there today. Light and Shadow Tarot $7.95 Celtic Wisdom $10.95 Tao Oracle $12.95 Tarot of the Spirit $12.95 Instant Tarot Reader the small version of the Enchanted Tarot $7.95. I could go on and on. Also a great selection of books on tarot. Rachel Pollack's two books on the Handl deck are going for $4.95 for majors and $2.95 for minors. What a deal! All shipping is $3.50 no matter how much you order. Glad to share this info. with all my new taroholic friends.

Emily

Hi Lark, welcome to the Aeclectic :)
There are some real bargains to be had there, wish they'd ship out of the States :)