Bought another deck, opinions...Tarot of Ceremonial Magick

SerpentaAzothi

Bought another deck, opinions...

Hi, I just recieved a new tarot deck, called the tarot of ceremonial magick. So far its sooo accurate, and was wondering who else owns the deck, and their experiences, both magickal and divinatory, just want to hear peoples thoughts. Thanks.

Serpenta

Scion

Hey Serpenta,

I use this deck, but more for study (almost like a magickal flashcard Thoth) than reading until about a MOnth ago. There was a Reader's Studio with the deck's creator Lon DuQuette here in NY and he whipped out his own copy and did an amazing reading for me that is still playng out as I type this. Watching him work with it inspired me to dig out my own copy and start active use. It's not good for everyone, but it does nail stuff (much like the Thoth on which it's based).

The artwork ain't pretty, but the underlying scholarship is solid and insightful. If you don't have the accompanying book that Lon wrote I HIGHLY encourage a purchase... It squeezes every drop aout of these cards.

Scion

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, thanks for the response, yes I agree with hitting it on the nail, the books in the mail, to be delivered, cant wait. Its cool you got to see Lon, I never heard of him until i bought the deck, much less know about its existence and Lons. I actually like the graphics, I think they are beautiful, and they resonate with me, similar in feel with that of the Thoth. When I first opened up the deck, I could feel its power, cant wait to use it magically too. Any way thanks for your thoughts they are very informative. :)

Serpenta

fyreflye

Notice that the male characters in the majors are DuQuette himself :D
The artist isn't credited but I gather that it was his wife.
I don't care much for the artwork but the book has probably the most complete listing of Golden Dawn/Thelemic correspondences of any set published. As Scion says, a valuable study deck.

Brock Johnson

I just looked at it and IMHO, I think its right down there with tarot of the witches. I just don't like it. I like a nice, naturey feel with soft pastels. Anyway, I'm glad someone enjoys it because that means that it won't go out of print sooner. Therefore, it might make others with your views attracted to the art of reading.

I do consider it an artform.

Brock

ravenest

I have the deck but havnt even listed it, only looked at it a few times and read with it twice, I got it cause of the varied and unusual (ie. not normally shown) attributions (eg, goetia). yep that is Lom's wife in the deck (St. Constance of Perpetual Motion?). And him. I think the deck is badly done and corney, look at death and a few others. However as an example of a deck one may make for ones own personal use, its not too bad.

then again, I have a few issues and disagreements with Lom, he's a nice enough guy, but seriously, anyone who uses a scalpel instead of a burin (even a magical novice) is at least a little 'silly' [see "My Life With the Spirits" L.M.DuQuette]

Grigori

Scion said:
The artwork ain't pretty, but the underlying scholarship is solid and insightful. If you don't have the accompanying book that Lon wrote I HIGHLY encourage a purchase... It squeezes every drop aout of these cards.

I've been reading references to the book etc, and am wondering, is this the same book that comes in the set (which is what I have), or is there an second, heftier version (which some have seemed to imply?)

If there are two different "books", does anyone have both who wouldn't mind comparing them for me?

Thanks! :)

Scion

Far as I know, there's only one companion book, sold either as part of the set or separately.

Grigori

OK Thanks Scion. I pulled my set out and it had a LWB also, so perhaps I was confused by the comparison between the LWB and the companion book. Just as long as I've not missed out on something :D

Skydancer

I don't have this deck, but for what it's worth, Lon DuQuette is one of my most favorite authors. For example, read his Life with the Spirits --- :)

*S*