But what does it MEAN ?

linnie

No blasting required for yesterday's mores

No... blasting not required... We are what we are in every day and every century and can't be expected to envisage the social mores of people in another era, can we? :)

What it boils down to, for me, I guess, is the ability of the artist to somehow embrace people of any era through artwork that carries an unambiguous energy... yes?! :)

linnie

Um... take, for example...

To clarify... take, for example, the Gay Tarot (which, until stumbling onto this site a week ago, I'd never heard of). It is wonderful that this deck has come into being... and reflects that today's society is finally, ever-so-slowly, coming to grips with the fact that we are all unique beings with a right to our own preferences.

Well, that is today... tomorrow something else, perhaps, will be reflected in art, theatre, cards... that's the whim that is "society".

So, what's needed is artistic expression (in all genres) that can rise above superficial portrayals and allow people to feel the energy behind the symbol... and then it stays relevant, doesn't it? :)

gregory

Yes ! Thanks - someone gets where I am struggling down here !

linnie

Excellent :)

Excellent, Gregory... there's so much on this site that is quite beyond my comprehension... (just the immensity and unfathomable vastness of this Tarot-Life), that it is good to find some common ground out there! :)

Always Wondering

All your questions are reminding me of Paul Foster Case, Greggory. He explained a lot of this stuff to my satisfaction in Occult Fundamentals & Spiritual Unfoldment. Vol 1. Especially section B in the back, pertaining to the tarot.

AW

gregory

Always Wondering said:
All your questions are reminding me of Paul Foster Case, Greggory. He explained a lot of this stuff to my satisfaction in Occult Fundamentals & Spiritual Unfoldment. Vol 1. Especially section B in the back, pertaining to the tarot.

AW
I haven't covered the whole book - but the bits I did failed to satisfy me....

Dog, bone... :D

The Greek card thing I invented epitomises what bugs me. Does he cover that sort of thing ?

Always Wondering

gregory said:
What I'm getting at here is times/societies when accepted/acceptable views were very different from the way they are now. For instance - now everything has to be PC. Imagine a card from way back when it was seen as perfectly fine to show a man obviously with a very young boy as a lover - as in Ancient Greece.

I think here of a museum I know where everything has been done up recently, and to most historians' horror, a Greek vase has been relabelled as showing "paedophile with victim". That immediately labels the image as totally unacceptable. But - then it was the norm, and the image would at the time of creation been seen as positive.

If we had a DECK from that era with that image ? - see what I am getting at ? An image that we today would perhaps find repellent, but which was created as one of love and caring.

I think you may be speaking to race memory in this instance. Page 148 and around talks about how there is faulty race memory, or false interpatation of race memory. But an individual, being their own Magus card, needs to apply the magician's perfect concentration to recognize truth.

Then he brings in the objective/subjective equation, which is a little mind twisting. But which in a way I think he is saying, it doesn't matter that some people think the vase is a thing of beauty, or totally unacceptable. What matters is that you find your own truth about the vase. Or maybe more accurately try or practice finding or trusting your own original response to this or any symbol.

Nothing that is outside can change your inner life, no matter how much you may seem to be affected by what happens, by what people say and do, by stellar influences, or by anthing else in your envoiornment.

For me it is kind of the magic of tarot. A symbol is a truth, speaking to my truth and on some level I get it, even if I let all that other garbage get in the way and can't recognize that I get it.

AW

gregory

Always Wondering said:
I think you may be speaking to race memory in this instance. Page 148 and around talks about how there is faulty race memory, or false interpretation of race memory. But an individual, being their own Magus card, needs to apply the magician's perfect concentration to recognize truth.
No - race memory isn't what I mean at all. It's a matter of how a created deck relates to the time in which it was created and how that conveys itself to us now. It wouldn't be a race thing; it would be the way we, now, relate to how society was then, to the way that comes across in the cards, if it does.

Aviva1976

I go by colors and animals or the surroundings on the card

Always Wondering

gregory said:
No - race memory isn't what I mean at all. It's a matter of how a created deck relates to the time in which it was created and how that conveys itself to us now. It wouldn't be a race thing; it would be the way we, now, relate to how society was then, to the way that comes across in the cards, if it does.

Well, I think Case meant the human race in general, not seperate races. But I can see even this doesn't address your question. Sorry if I got off topic.

AW