Carry a card around with you?

Glass Owl

I recently bought "The Complete Illustrated Guide To Tarot" by Rachel Pollack. In the section titled "Ways To Work With A Card," she says carrying a tarot card around with you is one way to "...see how you can work with the qualities of a particular card to change yourself and in so doing bring about change in your life." I think it is a very interesting idea that I would like to explore further.

She suggests having the card in a place where you be able to view it often and for you hold it once in awhile throughout the day while focusing on its qualities and what it symbolizes for you. She mentions putting it in your wallet, appointment book, or in your pocket (that's what the picture in the book shows--a girl looking at a tarot card that is sticking out of her pocket).

Many of you have discussed carrying around decks (sometimes several at a time!) so you can use them at any time for a reading but what about just one particular card? Do you think carrying the whole deck is better? I'm thinking that if I carried a card with me I would end damaging it (lots of things in my pockets end up in the wash) or losing it or someone at work (namely one particular coworker) who doesn't approve of Tarot would see it. However, the idea of carrying a card seems appealing to me although I would have a hard time deciding which one. Maybe it would be a good thing to do with a deck that you can't use anymore since it has some damaged or lost cards?

--Glass Owl

tarobones

daily draws

I have often done what Rachel Pollack suggests. I also learned from her the idea of using the daily draw of a card, not to predict or even to evaluate my day, but rather as sort of a "prolonged study" of a particular image, i.e., just spending the day with the 6 of Wands, for example. Focusing for a day on just one image has been very helpful in my tarot learning. BB, Michael

being_chrysalis

I've done this too - one card for the day. I was captivated by the Princess of Pents in the Spiral Tarot - so much so that I bought the deck and then took the card out and carried it around in my pocket - even slept with it under my pillow. I haven't had that *feeling* about other cards so much so but it was a powerful connection and I did feel like randomly remembering it was *with* me helped to keep me connected and thinking about the elements of the card that drew me. Pretty powerful stuff. (And I love Rachel Pollack's style of teaching/assisting people in getting connected to the cards.)

b_c

Shaymus

Here's what I've done, in regard to carrying a card with me. If you look at the deck section of AT, you'll find links to sites that show all of the cards of various Tarot decks. I've printed out the card in question (on the colour printer), and carried that around. Seems to work fine, and that way, you don't damage the actual cards.

Happy readings
Shaymus

tmgrl2

Absolutely!

I did this more often when I first started with the Tarot. I would draw the card the night before, then carry it with me to work...keep it where I could see it in my car, put it in my calendar, pull it out from time to time and reflect on it.

Sometimes I still do it if I pull a card the night before and give myself guidance for the next day....I will take the card with me.

Just one of many ways of becoming acquainted with the Tarot.

terri

a_shikhs

Have never thought of carrying a card around with me.. Not a bad idea though... :smoker:

tarotbear

The photocpopy idea is good - that way you can make a copy - stick it up on the wall in your cubicle - and not have to worry about losing your good cards.

You can get a plastic sleeve-y thing like people put their photos in, get a cheap lucite frame so you can stand it up someplace, or even get one of those cheap stainless steel place card holders and put your card in that to keep it up where you can see it.

Sayadina

I have taken a card around with me everyday when i first started but it ended up with some very damaged cards. I ended up either drawing a card a day and leaving it safley at home or taking a photocopy with me.

Sayadina

Strange2

I often carry a card or 3 in plastic sleeves inside my tarot journal, for ongoing pondering and study. Or I scan the card, and place the image as the background wallpaper on my computer screen.

Umbrae

Ha!

Head out to your local 'baseball card' store (or any sporting cards).

Sports card collectors have these protective sleeves. Some with notebook holes in them. They are unbendable, sturdy and clear - and larger than a Tarot Card. Slide yer card in and enjoy it without the fear of damage, all day...

:smoker:

Edited to add: my 'holder' is 'side load' (the opening is on the long side), and measures almost 4" x 6"+ (9.8mm x 15.5mm). works great for most decks.