Celestial Tarot 2007 kit with book...

Cerulean

U.S. Games has issued it with a book--available through the usual channels (U.S. Games, Amazon.com., etc...)...anyone have it yet? The book?

I'm eager to hear what people have to say now the book accompanies it as a set...or if you just had the deck...

I was eager to read what Brian Clark had to say about this different deck and eagerly bought a hard copy of his original text...but had not found anyone else really using this deck.

The odd thing is my 2006-bought deck is how dark and plum-shaded my blues are compared with my 2005 deck--which is a lighter and softer blue as a first run!

I've decided to post another thread for any impressions among new and others here. Here's a link to all the cards...

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php?newdeck=73

And if anyone decides to post to the 'study thread' query, I'll try to link up relevant threads...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=700294#post700294

Best regards and curious-curious-curious!

Cerulean

jmd

Apart from the extracts written by Brian that an Australian magazine published a number of years ago when Key Steventon had just finished painting the set, I have not read what he has had to say about the deck.

It may be worth knowing, however, that Kay and Brian worked closely together in the design of this deck, so the book is not an add-on, even if publication awaited for the deck sales to 'settle' (a marketting strategy, I gather).

In fact, from Kay's description, it appears to me that she was very much guided by what Brian had to say about the various asterisms (star clusters) before commiting them to canvas. In this sense, if having a keen interest in the deck (and only if!), I would (without having seen his book, but read some of his descriptions for the cards) recommend it.

This deck is definitely quite different to her previous deck (Spiral) and to tarot decks in general - to the extant that I personally question how much it can be called 'tarot' (I say this with no detriment to her work - and in fact have an original painting of a card from the deck on one of our walls).

Cerulean

Thank you JMD, the background is helpful...

...the information you gave is wonderful to me.

I was very interested in any information shared--and never expected such first-hand and good background!

My delight in the details does come from really just liking the concept to resulting paintings to the cards...so from the first calls on the deck a few years ago to acquiring the deck and background pamphlets--I've been waiting for this as a convenient set for many a moon.

I've heard others say they enjoy this as a beautiful play of astrology, art, cards . So yes, I was in the beginning very much in anticipation and curiousity of people pulling out what is tarotlike (late 19th or early 20th-century Golden Dawn astrological assignments). I have only asked a few people if the result felt like a 'standard' 20th or 21st century tarot set--and the response was it looked like an integrated system which people could use in an oracular sense.

I don't know if the set feels 'tarotlike' to many others, either...so I am curious for any responses!

And as far as liking the paintings and concepts...well, I bought two copies of the deck and two copies of the handouts used in their course, since I live half a world away from Australia! I'm eager to get a copy of the set to see what worked for a published book on the deck...

Best wishes and thanks to anyone who responds to this thread...

Cerulean

HearthCricket

I have this deck and never really clicked with it. I would be interested in people's view on the book to see if it aids them in working with this deck. It is a pity people don't think about the books at the beginning. I really don't need another deck, so the set is rather useless to me. My deck hasn't been used, yet, nor is it likely to be. Lovely, but just doesn't call to me. Neither did the Spiral. I hope those who do get the book can give us some reflections. Anyone know if the book is available separately?

Cerulean

I saw the book was available separately...

1. Deck alone details from U.S. Games site:

SKU: CEL78
Weight: 0.60 lbs
ISBN: 1-57281-473-X
Artist: Kay Steventon and Brian Clark
Size: 23/4""x 43/4""

2. Celestial Tarot kit (book and deck) from U.S. Games site:
SKU: CELS99
ISBN: 1-57281-565-0
Author: Kay Steventon/Brian Clark

3. Celestial Tarot Book (Paperback)
as listed by Amazon.com

by Brian Clark (Author), Paula Palmer (Designer), Lynn Araujo (Editor)
Paperback: 280 pages
Publisher: U.S. Games Systems (January 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1572815663
ISBN-13: 978-1572815667
Product Dimensions: 7 x 4.6 x 0.8 inches
Shipping Weight: 8 ounces

The book seems new as of March 2007, so the price seems to be $9.80 to $10.00 or so; people might want to inquire at customer service at U.S. Games if the book is all they want.

I'm getting the kit edition at a discount, so the separate editions took a bit of internet hunting at this early stage--I bet others can find better bargains at overstock or their favorite discount sites over time...

Thanks for the notes and I'll check back to see what people's opinions of the cards, book and such are throughout the week...

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Ruby7

Thanks for the info Cerulean!!

I'm very happy to find out that the book is available separately. I bought the deck a while ago but was very disappointed with the lack of information. So will now be ordering the book and hopefully learning more.

All the best,
Ruby7

Cerulean

I've had it for two two days...

...and for me, it revived my delight and interest and I'm working on readings and such...

I think I like the portable softcover book and am exploring it leisurely.

I also found out my first Celestial Tarot (printed in 2004) was printed in China and had a shiny laminate to the LWB. The deck I bought in 2006 was printed in Italy and had a lighter paper booklet without laminate. The book/deck set from 2007 comes with the deck "printed in Italy" information, included a little white booklet without the laminated shine in the deck box itself, as well as the thicker softcover book...

Cerulean

Ruby7

I spent quite a bit of time taking another look at this deck last night. My deck was printed in Italy in 2004. The LWB is not laminated (and is a little messed up since I was carrying it around in my purse at one point in time). Having had another look at the LWB, it actually is quite informative but hurts the eyes to read such small print (I'm temporarily taking a medication that makes my eyes weak).

So I have ordered the set (at a discount from chapters.ca) which I should receive by Monday. The book was going to take 3- 5 weeks in Canada. Will be interesting to compare the two different editions of the deck anyway (and difference in price is only $10.00 CDN).

I'm planning on studying this deck in depth, since that is what it needs and deserves.

all the best,
Ruby7

Cerulean

Some free articles on the Celestial Tarot from author

Brian Clark, at his Astrosynthesis site. Scroll down to the bottom two articles... "The Fool with a Thousand Faces by Brian Clark" for some writing on the majors and "THE CELESTIAL TAROT: cards designed by Kay Steventon, text by Brian Clark" -- you can download as pdf or Word document to sample the writing.

http://www.astrosynthesis.com.au/articles/articles.html

It gives you a taste of his writing in a very detailed, very nice book.

I'd say it's a modern take looking back into historical astrology, decanates, Golde n Dawn attributions and melding with tarot ideals of the twentieth century.

Also, B.C.'s comprehensive tarot review:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celestial/

Am delving into this more as I think of my year-end 2007/beginning year 2008 steps...

Best regards,

Cerulean

WolfyJames

I read parts of his file and it's really good and interesting. The cards make more sense after reading him, by cards I mean the amount of informations he put on the cards that seem so obscure before reading him. His book is a must I say for anyone who owns the deck. I sure put it on my wishlist. I really hope we can buy the book separetely for those who only have the deck.