Certain cards from decks that don't feel right

Froggy13

So, I am looking for "my tarot deck". Have been exploring a few different ones. I started with the Dreamers Tarot. Because I am learning I purchased the Universal Tarot RWS. Really wanting bright and colourful tarot cards, I chose the Gilded Tarot over Legacy of Divine Tarot- no regrets, Gilded is the deck I mostly use. The Guilded Royal is on my list to own.

While looking for decks that really spoke to me, the Witches Tarot screamed at me. The colours, the imaginery, wow! It is so easy to see and hear what would be communicated. Looking at tidbits of the deck, card combinations would flow so much easier for me. I really want this deck!

Except.....The scenery in the Lovers is muted. I don't like how their bodies come together for the kiss. Compared to other cards the Lovers is rather dull. Everything looks like they are in a fog.

He is not her equal in appearance or energy. She leans in from the waist while he leans more with the neck, like he is really not into it. He seems much older than her as well. IMO this is a loveless union. :(

This card is important to me and because of my dislike for it, I cannot purchase the deck.

My question... Has anyone had similiar objections to cards in certain decks?
Also, possible advice on how to get over my feelings for this card.

I want to change that card so I can buy the deck!

Richard

I try not to let it bother me, but Le Soleil (Trump 19) in the Conver TdM is a puzzler. In the CBD and ISIS, the boy on the left seems to have a tail, but in the Marteau-Grimaud, there is no tail. Maybe it's not a tail anyhow. Maybe it's a strange fat deposit or a slip of the knife in preparing the woodcut. Or maybe it was put in the Conver as a joke. Grrrrrr..........

Zephyros

I used to feel the same about the unfinished quality of the Thoth Prince of Swords.

http://www.corax.com/tarot/cards/thoth/swords-prince.jpg

Compared to the other cards, it seems sketchy, undone or done quickly. In time I learned to appreciate it, as his appearance suits very well his airy qualities. Perhaps there is some justification for the Lovers you have a problem with, a certain angle the artist decided to accentuate.

nisaba

So, I am looking for "my tarot deck".
You'd be lucky. There are many thousands of decks to examine.

While looking for decks that really spoke to me, the Witches Tarot screamed at me. The colours, the imaginery, wow! It is so easy to see and hear what would be communicated. Looking at tidbits of the deck, card combinations would flow so much easier for me. I really want this deck!
<happy smile> Sounds like you've found it.

Except.....The scenery in the Lovers is muted.
... Etc.
This card is important to me and because of my dislike for it, I cannot purchase the deck.
This may sound harsh and it's not meant to, but I think you're being a bit princessy.

I started buying Tarot decks in the 1970s. Don't laugh - it isn't that long ago. One day you'll be my age, and people will laugh that you remember 2014, while it feels like only last week to you. :)

Back then, which was in many ways the Golden Age of Tarot, you only had the choice of the few decks that the bookshop nearest you chose to stock - under the counter. And looking at those few decks, they were sealed, so you got to see only the cards that were printed on the packaging. This wasn't a problem, in fact, it was one of the joys of buying a Tarot deck. You'd take it home, open it up, and pore through the deck eagerly, every image a voyage of discovery. You just don't get that pleasure, now.

I own 153 decks, including two that never, ever leave my side and will be included as grave-goods when I die. I dearly love most of my decks. I adore those two. Is every single image perfect? No. In fact, one one of them, the Justice card, is a complete mess, and Justice is hugely important to me. I regularly forgive that card and the creator of the deck, because everything else is so perfect. How can I turn my back on such an adorable deck, that meets so many of my needs, simply because it has one flaw? Hell - I have *dozens* of flaws, and my friends haven't turned away from me! How mean would you have to be to turn away from a person because of a flaw? And ditto, a near-perfect deck.

My opinion? I think you're being silly, and depriving yourself of a richly rewarding relationship with a Tarot deck. Get over it and buy the bloody thing, already!

Froggy13

This may sound harsh and it's not meant to, but I think you're being a bit princessy.
ek to you. :)

My opinion? I think you're being silly, and depriving yourself of a richly rewarding relationship with a Tarot deck. Get over it and buy the bloody thing, already!

I really seriously did lol! I've never been called a princess before and you are right. That was exactly what I needed. Thanks for keeping me grounded.

I will stop being a diva and buy the deck :)

What I had wanted to know was other people's favourite deck with a card they didn't quite relate to and how they deal with it.

nisaba

<grin> I'm glad my brutal shock tactics didn't offend you. I'm much more glad you're going to buy it.

I just ... well ... put up with that particular Justice card, as the price I have to pay for the huge pleasure of owning that deck. :)

Froggy13

Then I'll just do the same. I'm glad I'm going to buy it too. Your brutal shock tactics are effective. I am more offended that I wasn't going to buy the deck because I needed it 100% perfect!

nisaba

<warm smile>

2dogs

I'm not so keen on the Mystic Dreamer Queen of Wands compared to other decks, but now see this deck more as an RWS distortion rather than an RWS clone as looking closely at the images can give rather different interpretations than the common RWS ones. The Witches Tarot Lovers looks like it could be useful to give you some different ideas in that way.

Karrma

The cards that disturb you the most, can sometimes be the ones you learn the most from. Ask why.