Certain cards from decks that don't feel right

Froggy13

OK Karma, I am asking why? What is it about the cards you like the least, that you learn the most from?

Froggy13

2dogs, I own Mystic Dreamer. RWS distortion I like how you labled that. It help build an understanding for the cards and how they would/could play off the other cards. My favoiurite card in that deck is the Moon because of the distortion. Are you saying that the Witches Tarot is also a distortion? I can't wait to get my deck!

Froggy13

Lrichard and closrapexa, I missed your replies. Thanks for your comments. It really helped me knowing that all cards in a deck don't flow to meet everyones expectations. Its interesting as well that a card one person doesn't like someone else is either neutral about or positive.

lalalibra

The cards that disturb you the most, can sometimes be the ones you learn the most from. Ask why.

Yes, I second this. Asking yourself exactly why you dislike the card... Exploring our most visceral reactions can often be very revealing and potentially liberating. It can be a great opportunity to better get to know certain aspects of yourself.

You can meditate on the card -- as in look at it, and while being present to your reactions, you may consider the following to start with:
-- how does it make you feel (explore and fully experience your physical/emotional reaction)
-- what else in the world or in your life makes you similarly feel that way
-- what else the image reminds you of (such as a memory, a hypothetical or an actual situation/event, an object, a certain time in your life, a dream, a goal, etc.)
-- what you wish could be different about the image (how would you change it, what do you think could make it better); what sort of presentation you would prefer and why; what you'd rather be looking at
-- whether or not you think the image reflects what you think the "true" meaning of the card is; why you do or don't think the image is appropriate or effective in conveying that
-- etc... Basically exploring whether or not there is a certain thought process behind the emotional/physical reaction that you aren't fully conscious of or may be avoiding

I think this would be useful to do, especially with a card like the Lovers... Explore what that card means to you in general (as a concept apart from any specific deck... after all, the cards symbolize different aspects of existence that are reflected in the images)... Exploring both what you take as the 'positive' and 'negative' manifestations of the cards energy/meaning... You can identify different 'types' of love, how you feel about love in general, what role love has had in your life or and/or the world/humanity/nature as a whole, etc.

...BUT on the other hand, if you don't want to go down that road --- A way to get around any kind of artwork that you may dislike is to at least find something that you can appreciate in what it's showing you; identifying the symbolism that has use and meaning to you... focusing less on the superficial aesthetics and more on what the card is really 'saying' to you ...Come up with or discover an actual purpose in the presentation that the artist/creator of the deck chose to use.

Froggy13

Wow lalalibra, that cuts right to the heart of the matter. Lol no pun intended in regards to The Lovers card.

Hmmm, being single and wanting a relationship-but not just any relationship..... Personal expectation of feelings that are missing in this card are also missing in my life.

So, basically projections of my ideal desired experiences cause my like and dislike for cards.

In this case of the lovers what I see on this card is a reflection of my own life. Because I want a great "love union" (that sounds corny, but you know what I mean) I want a better card representing The Lovers and my ideal love.

Also, the more I hate it, the stronger the focus it has in my life.

Ugh, I think that's a truth I have been lying to myself about.

lalalibra

Aww, no need to feel disappointed about it! All is hidden before it is revealed; you're never alone in that. We all have things to acknowledge about ourselves, and doing so is all a part of the process of self-growth/transformation, and it takes heart to dive deep and embark on the journey of life - which is something that Tarot can be an excellent tool for in many ways (as you can probably tell)... At the risk of going too far off topic from the original question, I will say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with desiring a certain kind of love if the love/union you desire coincides with what you know you truly deserve. Being honest about knowing what you want is a part of being centered within yourself (which is also another side to the Lovers card, as I see it at least) and that's what can help you cultivate happiness in the present moment, apart from your relationship status. Being clear about your desires/needs and understanding your intentions is something that can only help you rather than hinder you. It's important to reflect on what your expectations are and on whether or not they're realistic as far as living the life you want to live... Believe me, setting a standard for "not just any love" but the love you deserve (and that you intuitively know is possible) is something to feel very good about!! Nothing corny about it. Rushing into things or settling for less just because you don't want to be alone is the opposite of being true to yourself. So good for you! And since we're elaborating on the Lovers card here, its meaning can just as well apply to loving and accepting yourself completely, especially as you discover and integrate your shadows - and we all have them! It's human nature...

But again, as for the issue of finding acceptance for that one card you don't like in a deck - notice how useful the card can be all the same... Or also, perhaps try to find new ways of looking at the imagery... Perhaps it's not a 'loveless union' ...maybe she's the one 'inviting' him into embracing their love more fully. That can reflect doing your part to make it work, understanding your own role in things (seeing how it takes 'two to tango' and how you can only do your 'half' of the work). He could just be coming out of his shell (showing how the card can signify addressing fears that stand in the way of what's true, of what's rewarding) ...It's not about trying to sugarcoat it so you feel more comfortable with the card, rather, it's about looking at different layers in the card and discovering different sides of meaning. For example, you can also look at the card as a reflection of your psyche, such as how it can also represent the relationship between the 'masculine' and 'feminine' within you. There's always going to be more to it of course as there are endless ways to interpret an image, but these are just some thoughts on it.

Le Fanu

I'm glad nisaba is more forthright than I am. That's what you needed to hear. I agree completely with everything she says.

I already belong to the generation -and we are not old - that had what was on offer and invariably loved it. Oh the damage that the supposed virtue of consumer choice has done to the world.

I also agree with closrapexa for the very same reason. I also found that same card to sketchy and then later realised that the very same sketchiness I disliked is tied to the flitting, skimming, airy sketchiness of the Prince of Swords meaning.

No one card has ever prevented me from loving and using a deck I would otherwise love.

Froggy13

What excellent ways to look at the card lalalibre! Thank you for your advice and perspective. It really helped me. :)

Froggy13

I couldn't agree with you more LeFanu. nisaba forthrightness was exactly what I needed."Princessy" as soon as I read that I laughed and was hmmm you're right! That changed mind immediately about buying the cards.

I believe the reason I was so princessy about it had more to do with the reasons I disliked the card.

I wasn't going to deprive myself of reading and learning tarot. There are 3 decks in my collection so far.

With the quantity of decks to choose from, it was my thought I would find a deck where I would very card would meet my expectation.

And supposing if the card was say, 5 of wands that didn't quite feel right, I could overlook it without much comment or dissatification. The Lovers card just held more importance to me.

What lalalibre helped me discover is as The Lovers is what I personally desire. The image protrayed on the card isn't what I desire. My disappointment really stems from what I want and don't have in my life. The Lovers from Witches Tarot brought my feelings to the surface.

I am glad for nisaba's comments, without them I would have deprived myself from this deck.

I am greatful for everyone's comments, suggestions and feedback. It has made me realize that this deck might make me open doors and face truths that I had locked away.

Self discovery, if I am brave enough to face it.

Barleywine

I used to feel the same about the unfinished quality of the Thoth Prince of Swords.

http://www.corax.com/tarot/cards/thoth/swords-prince.jpg

Compared to the other cards, it seems sketchy, undone or done quickly. In time I learned to appreciate it, as his appearance suits very well his airy qualities. Perhaps there is some justification for the Lovers you have a problem with, a certain angle the artist decided to accentuate.

Agree about the Prince of Swords. I did notice that the color reproduction in some versions of the Thoth deck make it seem less washed-out. I have the same issue with a few of the other non-Major Thoth cards - they seem just a bit hasty. It must have been tough with a self-proclaimed "slave-driver" like Crowley breathing down your neck! Also, the sheer scope of such a project must have been exhausting for the artist, making some "scaling back" a tempting proposition.

My personal pet peeve: the decks (and there are more than a couple, I think) that have a great, big, close-up, humanoid goat's head for the Devil, with no other symbolism present. I mean, how obvious can you get? It always seemed like taking the easy way out.