Children and Tarot

Bhavana

PS... Occasionally she'll pull a card or two on her own. I bought her her own deck and a tarot for teens book.

I have seen the teens book on tarot - what do you think of it? Is it worth getting?

One of my niece's, she is almost 10 now, loves the cards. She showed some interest when one day I had her with me and bought Shadowscapes at Barnes & Noble. So when we got home I showed her some of my other decks, and she was fascinated! She especially loved the Permutt "Crystal Tarot" - was a little scared of Deviant Moon and other such decks. But I found she caught on quick with card meanings, and when i would explain them, she would come back with her understanding and it was often very on cue, and even more intuitive than one would think - and she has a great memory for the card meanings as well. She was so intrigued by the cards that she decided to be a gypsy fortune teller for Halloween.

I bought her her own Crystal Tarot, but have not officially given it to her yet, I need to talk to her mother about it first. I don't think it will be a problem, as it is a very "light" and cheerful deck. She uses it when she comes over my house. I did get her the "Way of the Horse" cards for Christmas....but that isn't a true tarot deck.

I think that depending on the child, there is no problem with them having or learning about the cards. Hopefully she will stay interested, it would be nice to have someone to pass along my collection to - but, even if she doesn't, I think that experiences we have and things we learn about can only enrich our lives in the long run!

Nineveh

I must state that I have really learned a lot beyond reading tarot having been a member of this site. I was first introduced to tarot at the age of 18 and started learning at the age of 19. It's not something that was passed on or taught by family, however. I live in an old city and mysticism, religion, etc. goes way back. For me, tarot has been something of a guilty pleasure...something like indulging on a box of ding dongs in secrecy. If my family knew that I read tarot, they'd be at my door trying to perform an exorcism on me.

I suppose, in my opinion, tarot would have to be a huge part of a person's life to consider passing along the trade/craft to children. I'm not passing judgement nor do I have any major opinions on the matter but I'm certain it's something that I wouldn't do. Why? As a Christian, it's wrong for me to read tarot despite the fact that I do. I once had an associate who was atheist and she raised her children to be atheist. Yet, she was born and raised Christian. She made the decison to be atheist after having encountered a difficult situation in her life. I insisted that she allow her children to make their own decision in the matter -when they were actually old enough to do so. I feel the same way about tarot.

I had a dream this morning where Jesus told me that he'd help me if I would give up tarot. I kept saying, just one more reading, just one more reading....LOL!!! Seriously, I don't believe I was dreaming.

Just my two cents. :)

SunChariot

I suppose, in my opinion, tarot would have to be a huge part of a person's life to consider passing along the trade/craft to children. I'm not passing judgement nor do I have any major opinions on the matter but I'm certain it's something that I wouldn't do. Why? As a Christian, it's wrong for me to read tarot despite the fact that I do. I once had an associate who was atheist and she raised her children to be atheist. Yet, she was born and raised Christian. She made the decison to be atheist after having encountered a difficult situation in her life. I insisted that she allow her children to make their own decision in the matter -when they were actually old enough to do so. I feel the same way about tarot.

I had a dream this morning where Jesus told me that he'd help me if I would give up tarot. I kept saying, just one more reading, just one more reading....LOL!!! Seriously, I don't believe I was dreaming.

Just my two cents. :)

For what it's worth, children are going to eventually find their own spiritual path anyway I think. At least that was my experience. I was raised by two atheists who were pretty adament about it. My mom especially would ridicule any spiritual idea that came up or the person who came up with it.

My life did the reverse for me. I encountered a difficult situation in my life, that was ongoing. And it resulted in my coming to believe in G-d, the angels and all the rest. And had enough experiences to proove their exisitence to me on a personal level.

You can't choose someone's spiritual path for them. You can train them in your way, but eventually their life will lead them to the path that is right for them.

Although I am still a big fan of teaching Tarot to children. And if I had had some I would have for sure.

Babs

bjean

I have seen the teens book on tarot - what do you think of it? Is it worth getting?

Tarot for Teens: It looks like a good book. It got 5 stars on Amazon. I idk if she'll use it though. She usually uses the internet to look up card meanings. I just wanted her to have a little surprise to open on Christmas.

bjean

The book is called Tarot for Teens. It looks like a good book. I don't know if she'll use it though bc she looks up the meanings on the internet. I got it got for her so she would have a surprise to open on christmas.

Bhavana

Tarot for Teens: It looks like a good book. It got 5 stars on Amazon. I idk if she'll use it though. She usually uses the internet to look up card meanings. I just wanted her to have a little surprise to open on Christmas.

hehe...lots of kids just aren't interested in real books these days. Why bother if they can look it up online?