Contacting Spirit Guides Safely

celticnoodle

Really, I think it's important to just create whatever ritualistic framework you need to feel safe interacting with the spirit world, divining, etc. You could dangle a shoe over your head and call it a day if that worked for you. The key is to be in charge of your own practice and your own energy field. I take bits and pieces from various teachers I've had that seem to work for me. And even if your belief is that any magic work you do is simply psychological it's good self - care to do these things so you can stay grounded and healthy.

yes, I would agree with this. It should be something that the person feels comfortable with and strongly has faith in, rather then just adopting what works for someone else.

And, I also call on my power animal, which happens to be the Black Panther. Spider??? :eek: they SCARE me! :laugh: I ask for protection against them myself! and pray that I will NOT run into them--either during a meditation/journey/ or in reality. but then, that's me. :D

tarotbear

Dan - I wish you all the luck (and safety!) in the world as you do this. I tried many, many times with tapes and whatever to try to see if I could contact my spirit guides (been told by others that I have at least 3 - including one that is a crystal) but try as I might my rational mind always got completely in the way.

UrbanBramble

yes, I would agree with this. It should be something that the person feels comfortable with and strongly has faith in, rather then just adopting what works for someone else.

And, I also call on my power animal, which happens to be the Black Panther. Spider??? :eek: they SCARE me! :laugh: I ask for protection against them myself! and pray that I will NOT run into them--either during a meditation/journey/ or in reality. but then, that's me. :D

...and panthers DON'T scare you? Geez. I'll take a tiny spider over a giant predatory cat that stalks its prey any day. :D

celticnoodle

...and panthers DON'T scare you? Geez. I'll take a tiny spider over a giant predatory cat that stalks its prey any day. :D

Nope. :D not since I met mine. Besides, how often do you see a panther and how often do you see those nasty big ol' spiders?? :bugeyed:

:laugh:

Thunderbird

I have been studying Tibetan Buddhism for about fifteen years and took lots of vows with HH Dalai Lama and other great teachers, and we always says prayers of protection for ourselves and others. Interestingly, they often take the form of 'taking refuge in' the Buddhas, meaning only allowing and adopting connection to the highest energy of something, like the Medicine Buddha IS the essence of healing, and the Buddha of compassion IS the essence of compassion etc., and Tara the Mother IS the essence of all goodness and protection and love etc. I think that for anyone, some sort of basic prayer and intention that "I allow and embody only the highest good/only the highest essence of love and light and healing" or whatever similar might be useful, especially for those who are not connected to angels or deities etc. I go for short and succinct phrases these days, so something like that works best for me now. I figure that the actual essence of love itself is more powerful and straightforward to me than me believing, perhaps mistakenly, that a certain deity or angel or whoever does embody it--I go to the source of it to reduce my error! Boy, did I make mistakes in the past of understanding energies...

I agree about going to short succinct phrases. I find that I do the same thing nowadays. After a less than desirable experience that I've had, I rather go straight to the source and to my higher self to guide and protect me. I center and ground before I start my work and I center and ground after my work. Oh! I also use the mirror ball technique in the beginning of my work as a form of protection.

http://www.serenitynowgifts.com/resources/articles/introduction-to-psychic-protection.php

headincloud

Before working I just mentally call in 'beings of pure light only' and I'll often light a candle as a protection ritual though I don't feel it's essential. Whilst there are entities that may masquerade, senses would need to be developed sufficiently enough to perceive them psychically else they wouldn't be able to manipulate you.

One of the first things my guide did once he managed to get some sort of stable connection was to get angry with me, demanding I undertake something for him. Because a spirit guide would never get angry or impose on free will I disappointedly brushed him off as a figment of my imagination and he came back with "you learn fast little one" LOL!

TBH I think this evil aspect of the occult is done to death excuse the pun. To my limited understanding if our intention is pure we attract benevolence so the key to staying safe is tied in to self knowledge and understanding of subconscious motivation. Like attracts like hence malevolent spirits look for willing malevolent people to work through because that's far easier than trying to manipulate someone with wholehearted intentions.

nord_drache

In early December a medium I had a reading with saw an entourage of spirits with me - so this has got me thinking, since she identified the majority as my deceased family members and friends but identified 1 spirit guide. <Call this a preface>
She noted I was empathic and many of my workplace stresses were from the negativity of others - especially my boss.
Her suggestion was to do a visualization of a ring of light or mirror around me - being who I am I layer both - mirror to deflect and light to destroy any that gets through.
Is this like what you suggest?
For me this process does seem to work.

Jim

linnie

Really, I think it's important to just create whatever ritualistic framework you need to feel safe interacting with the spirit world, divining, etc. You could dangle a shoe over your head and call it a day if that worked for you. The key is to be in charge of your own practice and your own energy field. I take bits and pieces from various teachers I've had that seem to work for me. And even if your belief is that any magic work you do is simply psychological it's good self - care to do these things so you can stay grounded and healthy.
That feels absolutely spot on to me... We can all recommend various practices to others but, in the end, that person must resonate with that practise. Some, that people swear by, just feel silly to me, as no doubt some of mine do to others :) I smudge, a lot... just then, an old friend who is carting some very negative baggage along with him visited here for 5 days with my sister. I've never in my life been so close to getting really agitated during a friendly 'debate', but his energy was simply exhausting (all my own energy, I think...) Almost as soon as he drove off with my sister, I got my smudge out and smoked the whole house. I mean no disrespect to him as a person, but his energy brought something that felt like spiritual 'dross' into my usually harmonious home space. :-(

Whenever I do sit to make contact with my guides, I almost automatically 'feel' White Light entering and surrounding me, like a little ball of pure sunshine is permeating every cell. I trust with every cell of my being that lower entities will not be attracted to that energetic field. :) And, if I'm not actually sitting on a very grounding stone, I hold one in my hand :)

celticnoodle

In early December a medium I had a reading with saw an entourage of spirits with me - so this has got me thinking, since she identified the majority as my deceased family members and friends but identified 1 spirit guide. <Call this a preface>
She noted I was empathic and many of my workplace stresses were from the negativity of others - especially my boss.
Her suggestion was to do a visualization of a ring of light or mirror around me - being who I am I layer both - mirror to deflect and light to destroy any that gets through.
Is this like what you suggest?
For me this process does seem to work.

Jim

Welcome, nord_drache, and yes, what you are doing is great. As Linnie mentions, if you happen to find a way to protect yourself that resonates with you--stick with it.