"Dark" RWS Clone - does anyone own this deck?

Nina*

Seeker*13* said:
I think too that by the end of the day, those Decks might be gone.
:bugeyed:

But..... I think I want the Dark one too. Just thought I'd wait a bit...........

sapienza

thorhammer said:
But the light one is just nasty, I think. I wish the pics were bigger so I could see if it's really as bad as it looks from a distance! It looks like the Connolly and the Hanson-Roberts got together and made a test-tube baby ROFL.

:laugh: Yes, now you mention it, it does make me think of the Connolly.

Wendywu

I had another look at the Light deck and I'm still gonna get it on Thursday if he has any left. I actually have a copy of the Connolly (for one particular nervous sitter...) and I don't see the resemblance. I love the Death card in the Light deck. A friend of mine bought a life size skull with a very beautiful fake rose held that way - I always wanted that skull but she oh so selfishly wouldn't give it to me :laugh: I'm getting the deck. I shall really enjoy it.

photokat

Le Fanu said:
Yep, it's another RWS clone, but with a bit more panache than most (at least it seems so from the scans)...

I just woke up and saw how the thread has grown! The stampede is happening! I just ordered one copy of the Dark and one of the Light. Am I right in thinking the deluxe is the same deck, just with a spread cloth to match the sofa? LOL.

Photokat, I hope you're got yours. It would be awful if you drew our attention to this and the deck ran out before you got confirmation.

I sent him the email he requested, one Dark, one Light. I quite like the artwork. It doesn't look computer generated to me. It reminds me - especially the Light one - of those 1920s-30s decks, like The British Tarot, Thomspon Leng, Knapp Hall (the list one, only slightly), the bold art deco, children's storybook primary colouring.

I said in my email; I bet you see now what a powerful lobby the Aeclectic Tarot forum is :D :D

There may be boobies but that male nude in the 2 of Wands is consolation enough :D

I love the fact that the 6 of Cups is the Page of Cups grown up!

Now to wait for confirmation *drum drum*

Yep, got my order confirmed, and now I am thinking about getting the "Light" version also - I literally just got myself a Thomson-Leng and your reference is now making me consider that one also ... LOL.
You're a terrible enabler.

Btw I loved that about the 6 of Cups, too! I first thought it was the creepy dude from the background, though ; )

In my opinion, the nudity in this deck is really low key.

However I am German, therefore rarely offended by nudity. Some of the nudity in the Rohrig offends me for example - mostly because of the cheesiness. Only the Boris Vallejo Tarot has more offensive nudity than the Rohrig, but this is OT now.

*cough cough*

photokat

Wendywu said:
Wot - sleep when there's a scrummy deck on the horizon - he's gotta be joking :laugh:

One could also assume that there must be a terribly painful Tarot shortage these days, too .... therefore sleep is absolutely secondary when a new deck pops up - especially limited. OMG.

photokat

thorhammer said:
It's alright, hon, you're allowed to express a non-standard opinion :laugh: Me? I don't mind the "dark" one, although the skulls are just gag-inducingly-tryhardish, IMO. But the light one is just nasty, I think. I wish the pics were bigger so I could see if it's really as bad as it looks from a distance! It looks like the Connolly and the Hanson-Roberts got together and made a test-tube baby ROFL.

I'll get the "dark" one, I think, but surely not the "light" one. That's just nasty.

\m/ Kat

You just made me laugh so hard, I could barely keep myself on the chair ....

thorhammer

photokat said:
You just made me laugh so hard, I could barely keep myself on the chair ....
LOL Glad to be of service :D but seriously - doesn't it? It's just . . . sterile, too, as far as I can see.

I wouldn't panic, peeps - there are a hundred and ten of each, after all :). I'll wait till I get paid on Thursday, methinks :)

\m/ Kat

Metafizzypop

Hmmm... yeah, I see what people mean about the boobies. But boobies aren't anything unusual in tarot decks these days. I've seen decks with more boobs than this.

I like both decks in terms of art, yet I'm not sure if I like either one enough to buy. And it's not entirely because of the pointless nudity. The Light Deck has too much color. I don't think the bright coloring really suits the style of art. It's too vibrant. OTOH, the Dark Deck, without the coloring, looks unfinished and rough.

What I would have liked ideally would have been a deck that was somewhere in between the two. That is, if the art had been colored in, but with more muted tones. Antique colors, I think is the term. Something not as bright. It would have suited the artistic style better.

I'm probably going to pass on this deck, partly because I've spent a lot of money recently and partly because it's another RWS clone. I bet it doesn't even come with a LWB.

It really is beautiful, though, I can't deny that. If I were independently wealthy, I'd probably buy one.

Nina*

Okay... I just ordered the Dark one too. Jeez!

Wendywu

I'm not expecting a LWB - I mean, it's a RWS clone - what can they say in a LWB that's different? I just like the decks ...