Death - How he feels about us

The Standing Stone

Hi everyone :)

I did a love spread and would love your take on this one, because this card can be interpreted in so many different ways, which from time to time confuses me! To give you a little bit of background him and I have been flirting for a while, nothing as ever happened (yet!).

I see "Death" here as a powerful energy, moving from the known to the unknown. Waiting in an in-between state, getting back to basics.
Concluding unfinished business, being caught in the inescapable, being through what cannot be avoided, being part of a powerful movement, riding our fate, accepting the inevitable.

It could also mean that he likes me, but maybe still dealing with a block, perhaps from past relationship, that is not allowing him to pursue a new relationship.

"Death" is also about changes, so does he get life changing kind if feeling? Good change? Bad change?

He might be fearful of losing himself in a relationship, of being hurt, so he appears to be holding back or "standing offish", when he is just really fearful. With "Death" as a feeling, he is feeling something for sure!!

What's your thoughts?

Thank you :)

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, The Standing Stone!

Absent other cards from the reading, I'd say that Death is addressing the transition from flirtation to more serious relationship. As the position was how he feels about the two of you as a couple, my initial thought would be that he feels ready to make that transition.

While we do it a lot here in UTC, I don't believe one or two cards (the max for discussion here) from a reading can be taken out of the context of the other cards from the reading. If one does a 10 card reading, the 10 cards together are the answer and each card is only part of the answer. When we only have part of the answer to discuss, we're like the 3 blind men who each feel on a different part of an elephant and come up with a different answer as to what they're touching, none of which are the actual thing.

So the other cards in the reading may show that Death should be read in a positive light (he's ready to make the transition) or they may show that Death should be read in a more negative light (he's not ready to make that transition).

HTH,
Rodney

GoddessArtemis

Death is a pretty intense card - we don't even use the word "dead" or "death" in day-to-day language lightly. "You'll be the death of me," is an example. They're strong feelings, whether positive or negative depends on the reading. But this is also the card of Scorpio, an intense/sexual sign, so I'd say he may feel attracted to you in an intense fashion, it could be just intense sexual feelings, but the feelings can also be scary and overwhelming. Either way, he's not lukewarm about you - whichever way this Death card interpretation is leaning.

GA :heart:

WalesWoman

Maybe you should post the whole spread in your readings.

There are just too many ways to interpret this... either this relationship is a dead horse that no amount of kicking is ever going to get it to go for a gallop...

or you are still in the hungry caterpillar stage and not quite ready to cocoon and transform into that butterfly.

If you feel Death is something that he's afraid of (changing his whole life and the end of his bachelor days), then maybe ask what is holding him back from taking this to another level.

You might want to ask what you need to know about why he's only willing to flirt and not do more? How much do you know about him? If it's a workplace flirtation...is anyone waiting at home?

But taken on it's own as how he feels, chances are greater that it's only a game to play and his heart has no pulse.

The Standing Stone

Thank you to both of you :) I must say that I agree with everything you said :) and I must say that the other 6 cards were positive and very clear :)

But another card that I am still trying to interpret is "Page of Pentacles" -What he thinks about us. I would love your opinion!

The way i see it is:
He thinks that it would be a good opportunity but wants to take step by step. He may think that we could initiate something together, he is waiting for the right moment and treading carefully to make sure it's the right decision. He is working out how best to make it work, working out how to make it real.

I am sure the feelings are there, he knows exactly how he feels about it, but rarely does he express it. I think he is in no rush to make major moves, he is pretty happy to take his time doing all he wants without skipping steps in the "possible future" relationship.

"Original, unbounded, and fresh, free of bonds and restrictions..
New beginnings and fresh starts, poised to unfold, aware of needs"

He is trying to figure things out, he is still uncertain about how to put down solid roots, make things more concrete, or be practical, and it may take him a while to get it all together.

I think the page also represents an offering..
Maybe this relationship has the possibility to be a solid one and there may be an offering of some kind coming my way... A slow start but promising one!

Am I right in saying this? How would you put those 2 cards together?

Thank you for sharing best practice :)

The Standing Stone

As they said, not knowing what the other cards were in the spread to give a better guage of the overall feel... but your opening line says a lot.
The fact that you are flirting and he's not flirting back at all says... you are kicking a dead horse... and no matter how often or hard you kick it, it's not going to get up and be all frisky for a gallop.

If he had been doing something to encourage this, then yes, it might mean that the casual relationship has to transform into something else that the old life was dead in order to move on to a new one, but it would take something like Judgement with Death to make it more concrete. If Judgement came up, then he would feel like he had been dead until you came along and gave him new life and feels like shouting it out to the world.
But that doesn't seem to be part of the equation.

He's not thinking this is a caterpillar relationship ready to transform into a butterfly, he has no feelings of love or anything, this just isn't quickening his heart and that is not going to change.
Unless there are cards that spell it out otherwise, it's time to say goodbye & move on to someone that has a heartbeat that will flutter all over you.

I just saw your post SalesWoman!
Yes, he is flirting back, I played hard to get in the beginning, but we are still texting and flirting, that is sure!

WalesWoman

I re-read it and decided I was off and harsh, so changed it. Darn, you were too quick.

The Standing Stone

Maybe you should post the whole spread in your readings.

There are just too many ways to interpret this... either this relationship is a dead horse that no amount of kicking is ever going to get it to go for a gallop...

or you are still in the hungry caterpillar stage and not quite ready to cocoon and transform into that butterfly.

If you feel Death is something that he's afraid of (changing his whole life and the end of his bachelor days), then maybe ask what is holding him back from taking this to another level.

You might want to ask what you need to know about why he's only willing to flirt and not do more? How much do you know about him? If it's a workplace flirtation...is anyone waiting at home?

But taken on it's own as how he feels, chances are greater that it's only a game to play and his heart has no pulse.

Yes, maybe i should post the whole spread in "your readings".

Your second option seems more realistic, I think we are still in the hungry caterpillar stage and not quite ready to cocoon and transform into that butterfly. It feels like a waiting game to see who gives in! I know that there is interest in both parties..

I don't know enough.. That is the problem! I know that he is a workaholic, an ambitious business man. I think his previous relationship ended quite sour too.. I also know that he likes when I get in touch, and that maybe he likes the "chase" bit! He shows himself strong, but deep down, I think he is quite reserved and shy.. Hence why maybe he is taking it slow..

willowfox

***Death suggests that he feels that a real relationship can never be.

The Standing Stone

***Death suggests that he feels that a real relationship can never be.

Oh really WillowFox? Even knowing that the Page of Pentacles was next to it? Which I consider it positive ?