Deck of the week group sign up thread - week 43 - 26th may - 2nd june 2012

Chiska

The Legends deck is off to a good start. It is VERY different in feel than the Hallowquest. But, interestingly enough- I used both decks this week and had Dindrane come up in both.

Will have to spend some time thinking about her. Though she is the Queen of Swords in Hallowquest, and the Queen of Rods in Legend- it really hit me that the meaning was not for the court, but the woman herself.

I'm sorry - I read that second sentence and thought to myself, "You think?!" LOL

It is a rather lovely, dreamy, watercolor deck. I like it. Not a whole lot, but still, it is a nice deck. I received mine as a random gift many years ago!

Back to Dindrane...she also makes an appearance in the Grail Tarot (Matthews). She is, however, represented on the Moon card! She makes a great sacrifice - in order to heal a young girl of leprosy, she allows her vein to be opened. But something goes wrong and she dies. Matthew talks about the blood of an innocent to heal the girl as a parallel to the healing of the Wounded King. And also her representation of the feminine mysteries of the Grail. He states the Grail Question as: What is your source of vision?

Penthasilia

I'm sorry - I read that second sentence and thought to myself, "You think?!" LOL

It is a rather lovely, dreamy, watercolor deck. I like it. Not a whole lot, but still, it is a nice deck. I received mine as a random gift many years ago!

Back to Dindrane...she also makes an appearance in the Grail Tarot (Matthews). She is, however, represented on the Moon card! She makes a great sacrifice - in order to heal a young girl of leprosy, she allows her vein to be opened. But something goes wrong and she dies. Matthew talks about the blood of an innocent to heal the girl as a parallel to the healing of the Wounded King. And also her representation of the feminine mysteries of the Grail. He states the Grail Question as: What is your source of vision?

:D LOL!

Thanks SO much for the bit from the grail tarot. There are so many facets to the stories I have read, the sacrifice of blood being one of them. She is considered the grail heroine, giving the ultimate sacrifice, and in some ways, finding the TRUE source of the grail, even more so than Galahad and Percival.

Very interesting stuff.

Also found it interesting that, since the Legends deck associates swords with fire and wands with air- the Queen cards complement each other as both are considered the Queen of Air in their perspective decks. Seeing that, along with the idea of her being the Moon in the grail deck, gives another layer to ponder...

AJ

I feel your pain Mi-Shell...They warn us going into Yellowstone not to even have gum wrappers in the car, the bears will smell anything to eat, and go for it.

If it helps there were four drive-by shootings in Seattle in the last 24 hours with 60 shots fired. I'd rather face the bear than the city.

I wouldn't use the Creatrix for general purpose spread readings, but it would be doable for sitters who were 'stuck'. If they wanted to get unstuck... some don't, they just go on and on waiting for something or someone else to 'fix' them.

BodhiSeed

I wouldn't use the Creatrix for general purpose spread readings, but it would be doable for sitters who were 'stuck'. If they wanted to get unstuck... some don't, they just go on and on waiting for something or someone else to 'fix' them.
I've enjoyed looking at the lovely watercolor cards you've posted on your blog from this deck. :)

Cat*

Shelley is great. :heart: Read all about her latest scary-accurate (and almost not understood by me) prediction in the journal thread for the project (or, in a slightly different version, on my blog)!

She also makes me do fun stuff because I have to show her around while she's here so I can tell interesting stories in her travel journal, right?

I'm almost ashamed to say that I initially didn't even like her much. :| But now I've found that she reads like a dream (for others), even if I don't always get it at once.

Nerys

Tarot Nova is going pretty well - straightforward, unpretentious, and chatty in a charming way. My one dislike is that the cards are so stiff and plasticky feeling and stick together so much. But at least that means I don't feel like I have to treat it with kid gloves.

VGimlet

Tod's Creatures are not inspiring me. Oh, the deck is okay, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe more of a fall deck (another deck that would be great for October, IMO) and I'm more in the mood for something at least neutral. :p

jema

Mary-El is so amazing. But in some ways it feels a bit scattered, not really coherent.
There are a lot of really expressive cards, then a few rather more 'story-telling' cards, then a few landscapes. I am more fond of the expressive ones, even the more grotesque ones.
I find the ones with a back-story the hardest to connect to.
Especially the sevens are tricky for me to get a handle on. I guess it is part of how they are though, 7 is also in other decks rather vague.
I sat and picked out my faves from the deck and ended up in first sorting with about 55 fave cards.

One tiny aber is that they photograph badly cause they are so darn shiny. But I do love them even more this time around.

Cat*

Three more readings with Shelley done. There's nothing like knowing you only have the deck for a week to motivate you to make time for it! :)

The fun thing is that you can also include the card backs in the readings because they're all different. At least that's what I did. :D

Mi-Shell

Mary-El is so amazing. But in some ways it feels a bit scattered, not really coherent.
There are a lot of really expressive cards, then a few rather more 'story-telling' cards, then a few landscapes. I am more fond of the expressive ones, even the more grotesque ones.
Yes, that is my observation exactly and several others have also said so in the study forum.I feel it is not really a coherent deck but parts of 2 or 3 decks.....
Maybe it is because she painted them over 10 years and as an artist myself I can say, that what I did 10 years ago looks quite different from what I do today.

I myself am right now strugggggling with the "archangles" and am debating, iffff I should post my musings in my blog. It is too personal for the study threads and I may get an earfull about my views/ thoughts there.....