Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 196 : May 2 - May 8

Madrigal

Madrigal, you are making me quite jealous with all of those cat decks. :)

It's pretty fascinating. The dialogue between the two is quite telling and often the same Suit appears for both. Since I'm doing mostly two card draws this has had the added benefit of enhancing or augmenting the meaning and relevance of each card in a way that feels quite seamless. Just for fun I've included a pic of today's draw below. I love the Pagan Cat's version of this card. The artist has definitely captured that feeling of the liminal world of conflict between heart and mind, between intuition and reason. The second card is the equivalent of the Page of Swords.

I'm continuing on with my current cat combo but will switch mid-week to the Marseilles and White Cats.

Tarot Madru: Mixed feelings about this one. It is Majors only, mainly images of what I will call "tree people" from the waist up, draped and adorned with holly, berries, pinecones, and various leaves and greenery. I do enjoy the artwork, but I have doubts about the readability of this deck. We shall see!

This deck looks intriguing. Will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Madrigal

Another synchronous pairing today with the King of Swords welcoming and opening the door to the Ace of Sky. Pic below. The LWB for Ace of Sky has a little story to go with it...

"You are entering the territory of the Sky Clan. Their emblem signifies a place where you must be on your guard and keep your wits about you. The cats you encounter here should be approached with caution. The way of the Sky Cats is the way of conflict."

I like seeing the King of Swords opening the way for this Ace of the same suit, welcoming in this burgeoning of determined, perceptive, victorious energy. Time to cut away what is not working but the cats make it seem rather more fun.

There is something called a 'Catching a Fish' spread in the LWB that I may try out later in the week.

VGimlet

I am enjoying the Universal Wirth. I picked that one because of a note I made on my list "The other one" which I decided must have meant the universal.

(I need to be more clear when I make notes to myself about something several years in advance, I guess, hah)

Madrigal

Today I switched from my Pagan and Mystical Cats to my White and Marseilles Cats. Not sure how this is going to go. Two different systems though the Marseilles Cats deck has superimposed the RWS on their Minors. So for the card seen below, for example, the LWB uses the RSW lens and calls this 'distraction/withdrawal/contemplation but the Marseille system views this card as one of community, belonging, family and integration into a larger whole. And with the cat placed right in the center of things I'm inclined to see this through the Marseille lens.

Ana Cortez talks about the Fours as being about how we orient ourselves in time and space, how we, as a collective, locate ourself within the cosmos--direction, seasons and the Suits themselves. These guide us and tell us where we are in the finite world of time. Further she correlates the four winds with this number and suggests the influence of the Suit will dictate the nature of the windy energy.

The Four of Hearts (Cups) is associated with the West Wind, a gentle, warm and compassionate wind. It lifts the spirits and invites us to put worry and conflict aside. The mood here is understanding. Under the influence of this card, opposing sides discover common ground, and lovers find comfort in each others' arms.

There certainly is something very comforting in the stability of the four Cups. And that they are receptacles furthers this idea of compassion, a container for, in this case, the worry of the Nine of Swords. The fours are also associated with the Emperor, a ruler, a man of order and authority and the marriage between those two. There is certainly a sense of order or symmetry seen here, of harmonious inter-working within a framework. And the two shoots--the one above, closed, the one below, open--furthers the sense of give and take, ebb and flow, associated with this suit.

Combining this with the Nine of Swords, the insomnia/nightmare/drama queen card, has a palliative effect. One has the sense of the poor creature in the Nine being encouraged to turn to family, to community, to connection as a way of laying aside all the fears that are tormenting her mind. She's being asked to reach out to those she feels a connection with instead of focusing within. And with the Swords hanging there like that I have the image of them vanishing into thin air once she does look up and out. Their presence makes me think of Shakespeare's lines from The Tempest...

And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

I do like the way this deck has remained faithful to the RWS imagery. It makes for a fun read even when the Nine of Sword shows up ;)

RiverRunsDeep

Well, I am still enjoying my Tarot of Trees, but I'm ready to move on to something else. This is a cute, happy little deck, but there is not much to "study". I will probably only use this deck again if I'm in the mood for something lighthearted and easy to read.

As for the Tarot Madru.....Madru, Madru, Madru, what to do with you. **sigh**
I do enjoy the artwork very much, but this is not a reader for me. I tried a couple of spreads, but the cards seemed too "samey" when they were all together, and there was no flow to the readings at all. I also tried to use this deck for one card daily draws, but....for some reason, there is no connection for me. I may as well be trying to read hieroglyphics. Oh well, can't love 'em all, I guess.

swedishfish612

I enjoyed World Spirit. My daily draws were interesting this week, because there's so much in these cards. I pulled out my symbol dictionary several times and learned some interesting things. It would be a great deck to spend more time with.

But not now! lol I'm ready to play with something new.