Decks you probably *should* hate, but don't

Sword King

I just received the Hallmark Tarot today, and I should hate it. It's brightly colored and cheerful to the point of being way past fluffy - it's like the Nick Jr. brain trust got together and tried to figure out what Dora and Diego would divine with if The Map just wasn't giving them a good read on things (first you go AROUND the Wheel of Fortune, pass the SCARY Devil, then through the CRUMBLING Tower!). But I don't hate it at all. Something about its ruthless optimism must resonate with my Ascendant Sagittarius or something.

So I ask you, forum folk - most of whom have way more decks and experiences in opening new ones than I - what deck(s) should you hate (or dislike), but don't? And why do you think that is?

Alta

Apparently I am supposed to dislike the Robin Wood. :laugh: I don't.

poopsie

For me, it's the Dion Fortune tarot deck. I bought it because the card featured on its box looked attractive. But when I opened the entire thing, I have to admit I wasn't too partial about the artwork in some of the cards. I got a little disappointed -- just a little.

But I don't hate it or dislike it... in fact, as the days get longer, I'm starting to get curious about it.

Rasa

I do not like decks with disparate art styles mixed together. I do not like anything too cutesy. I don't like really 'non-traditional' imagery on my minors, if they're illustrated. I don't like fairies..

any yet, I somehow enjoy the Fairy Tarot from LoS!
It's a baffling anomaly of a deck for me...

jackdaw*

Apparently I am supposed to dislike the Robin Wood. :laugh: I don't.
What she said. We're a dying breed, Alta. Or maybe just the brave vocal minority ... despite the blonde-ness, the pagan-lite vibe, the cheesy Wheel of Fortune and the atrocious Hierophant, you can't beat those court cards, or those fabulous sevens (or the hot Magician!). I love that deck, for all that it's not cool to love it.

Sword King

I have to add the Connolly in here, too. So much to loathe: The Fred Flintstone outfit of the dude (I think it's a dude) in the Star; the toothless Materialism and Transition; garb that's alternately Ren Faire then Sunday School biblical; the wtf pips; the cherubs - my god, the cherubs. Yet it reads well for me and I really like the use of colors. I should hate it, but I can't.

Le Fanu

Oh the Connolly I'm quite happy to dislike (not hate) but the Robin Wood I loathe to the pit of my stomach...

However, I really should hate the Paulina - everyone lists it as a "girly" deck - and finds it too finicky in the detail, too fussy, too muddy, too brown. Yet I love it. I love the florid scrawliness, the excess of "fuss", long attenuated figures rearing out of the brambles. I have always liked anything decorative and the Paulina is so very decorative but at the same time readable for me. I'm slightly ashamed to like it so much. Or rather, I was, but that has long since passed. Yet it's so odd that it snuggles up next to the Thoth in my favourites box. They must have something in common...

sapienza

The Robin Wood is an interesting one. I want to hate this deck, in fact I'm working hard on hating it. :) I used to love it even though from an intellectual point of view I didn't like a thing it. Over time, the annoyances have taken over and while I wouldn't say I 'hate' it, I can now say I have a strong dislike for it. Of course now and then I get it out and look through and feel a bit of sentimental affection, but it doesn't last.

I thought I'd hate the Druidcraft because I really don't like decks where the minors are just copies of the RWS imagery, but over time this deck has become one of my favourites. It doesn't really fit with a lot of my other favourites, but I've come to accept that I may actually love it after all.

Queen of Disks

I have to add the Connolly in here, too. So much to loathe: The Fred Flintstone outfit of the dude (I think it's a dude) in the Star; the toothless Materialism and Transition; garb that's alternately Ren Faire then Sunday School biblical; the wtf pips; the cherubs - my god, the cherubs. Yet it reads well for me and I really like the use of colors. I should hate it, but I can't.

Same here, I am using it right now! Quite cheesetastic. But it's got lots of mystic occultish Christian symbolism which I love, and somehow I understand it. It's good when I am anxious and can't handle scary cards. Love it very much.

Onyx

I like my Heart Tarot.

I know that it is not standard shaped. I know that it is really a theme deck with big borders and sometimes can seem a bit cheesy, but I love the deck.

I use it for romance readings and I get good results. I have learned to riffle shuffle it and I so it works well with me.

I keep thinking I am going to pack it away in storage with a majority of my deck but I simply can't quite do it. I have to keep it close.

Onyx.