Decks you probably *should* hate, but don't

KristinCali

Wheel of the Year Tarot is such a girly, bright, stereotypical "teenie-bopper" deck... but I love it! It's my "easy" deck. The one I go to when I don't want to think too hard. It gives me excellent readings :)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wheel-year

Ryver

I've been pondering the Robin Wood deck, and my reaction to it, ever since I bought the deck, many years ago.

She clearly wanted to make many of the figures in the Majors seem more approachable and understandable. But with tarot figures, obviously a large part of their impact is their mystery. If they're smiling and friendly, are they still tarot figures?

I agree, I don't think there is a single card of the minors that I don't love. And I agree about your last statement. I think especially with The Wheel she made such an effort to clearly illustrate a particular meaning that she risked burying the full range and potential for certain cards.

Lunaea

You've voiced most of my thoughts here. I don't have the deck yet although I love everything I've seen about it except for one thing. I think it's the equivalent to the five of wands that has faeries being cruel to hedgehogs? For some time that cruelty to animals card put me right off getting the deck but the pull to buy it now is becoming tremendous. I think I will own it before much longer.

As someone who is very sensitive to animal cruelty, I can understand your hesitation! Let me reassure you that no actual hedgehogs were harmed in the making of this deck, and the hedgehogs depicted got away from the bullying fairy lads, who were soundly punished for their actions. :)

firefrost

As someone who is very sensitive to animal cruelty, I can understand your hesitation! Let me reassure you that no actual hedgehogs were harmed in the making of this deck, and the hedgehogs depicted got away from the bullying fairy lads, who were soundly punished for their actions. :)

That's good to hear. Does the card description in the book say this too?

ETA: I just ordered it anyway, now!

Lunaea

That's good to hear. Does the card description in the book say this too?

ETA: I just ordered it anyway, now!

It doesn't specifically say that, but it does make it clear that what is depicted is cruel and beneath contempt. The Victorian Fairy Tarot isn't all sweetness and light, as I wanted to make sure it functioned as a working tarot deck, so there are some cards that show the harsher side of fairy life, especially in the Winter suit, the equivalent of Swords. When you get your deck, let us know what you think! (And thanks for ordering!)

starlightexp

For me it's the The Sirian Starseed Tarot. I really SHOULD hate this deck because it is just so not anything I like but I do just love it