Devil as a Person...

clarity

Okay there are a lot of posts on the devil as feelings, but I was wondering what other's experiences or interpreations are of this fellow.

Have you met any Devil people? How would you describe a person represented by the Devil?

afrosaxon

I've interpreted a Devil person as someone who is addicted to the rush:

--feelings (always "falling in love")
--adrenaline (extreme sports junkie, car racer -- especially the illegal kind on city streets, motorcycles -- daredevil-type stuff)
--drugs (mainly "uppers" like cocaine, speed, etc.).

A "take it to the limit" kind of person.

Devil persons also like to completely consume themselves with an activity, person, etc...they want to "feel" every extreme of a person or situation.

On the flip side...in my deck, the Devil is called Courir Le Mardi Gras. The book interpretation is of controlled chaos, and one of the focal points is a large, upside-down black bird who looks as if its falling from the sky, and is actually out of proportion to the rest of the card. I interpret this card as "the sky is falling" (from the fable of "Chicken Little"), meaning that someone is more focused on their fears and how things appear...which usually is bigger than they actually are.

Just my $.02.

T.

Attachments

• 15 -- Courir Le Mardi Gras.jpg
    15 -- Courir Le Mardi Gras.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 11,515

Demon Goddess

I've often gotten the devil card for sociopaths. but of course, that's more to do with feelings than physical looks.

Othertimes, the devil might be a smarmy individual, really pretty on the outside but nasty and controlling on the inside. Nasty in the sense of watch what happens if he isn't the one in control... But I suppose that's feelings...

Regardless of his personality, he is going to be a knockout dresser, that's one thing for certain.

Sebavin

This isn't inherently physical, but I find that when the Devil represents a female they tend to wear a lot of makeup and adornments. They might also be loud or boisterous, and easily give to temptation, doing spur-of-the-moment things regardless of who it might affect.

lunalafey

Devil Personality

The Devil is a person who likes control over others and when they do not have that control they go bezerk.
These are those people who are deceptive and who have 'evil' methods of getting what they want without any regard for thier fellow being.
They are those that have addictive personalities and find ways of self-medication, such as alcohol, drugs, even religion.
The Devil could be the leader of a Church or other 'organization'. Anyone remember Jim Jones? I’d put the Devil card to him. Beware of large vats of Kool-aid.
The Devil is also anyone who wears a ‘mask’ to hide the fact that he is the Devil.
How does that saying go? “The best trick the Devil ever played was tricking everyone to believe he does not exist”
I think that speaks of people who are in denial for what ever reason, about what ever issue.

Thirteen

Sympathy for the Devil....

I'll play Devil's advocate (literally) :D

So what are they like? Pretty unmistakable, actually, and not the sort you can easily ignore or forget. First, they've always got great ambitions, and they won't settle for anything less. Every politician or ruler or rock star or corporate CEO who ever reached the top--whether for good or ill--was a Devil of sorts. Even the best men and women, with grand ideas for improving their countries, have to have the Devil's own confidence in their right to be in command, as well as a love of control, of having lots of people doing what they say, to go after that throne. And while they won't always cheat to gain that throne, they are willing to bend or, yes, break rules if they can get away with it. The ends justifys the means.

Devil people are also seductive and attractive. They have an uncanny understanding of what people really want and know exactly what to say, how to say it, in order to get them to surrender to those desires. "No, no," you say, "I couldn't take that last slice of chocolate cake..." But the Devil knows you want it, and he/she will urge you or just cajole you into indulging.

There is nothing a Devil enjoys more than manipulating people into indulging. Which is not always a bad thing, is it?

Have you met a Devil? Likely. Remember that night at the bar, the cute, sexy guy who kept urging girls to drink "one more shot..." and they did? Devil. Remember in school the kid who, when you suggested the group do something a little naughty, said, "What a wimpy idea! If you want to do something really cool, then you should...." And oh, my! That idea blew yours right out of the water. It was amazing, and scary, and seductive and terrifying. Did you do it?

That's what Devil's are like. And I've no doubt that you've met at least one already.

moderndayruth

Clarity, thank you for the great question :thumbsup:
Thirteen, thank you for sharing the wisdom! :heart:

afrosaxon

Thirteen said:
I'll play Devil's advocate (literally) :D

So what are they like? Pretty unmistakable, actually, and not the sort you can easily ignore or forget. First, they've always got great ambitions, and they won't settle for anything less. Every politician or ruler or rock star or corporate CEO who ever reached the top--whether for good or ill--was a Devil of sorts. Even the best men and women, with grand ideas for improving their countries, have to have the Devil's own confidence in their right to be in command, as well as a love of control, of having lots of people doing what they say, to go after that throne. And while they won't always cheat to gain that throne, they are willing to bend or, yes, break rules if they can get away with it. The ends justifys the means.

Devil people are also seductive and attractive. They have an uncanny understanding of what people really want and know exactly what to say, how to say it, in order to get them to surrender to those desires. "No, no," you say, "I couldn't take that last slice of chocolate cake..." But the Devil knows you want it, and he/she will urge you or just cajole you into indulging.

There is nothing a Devil enjoys more than manipulating people into indulging. Which is not always a bad thing, is it?

That's what Devil's are like. And I've no doubt that you've met at least one already.

Well hell (no pun intended), if you put it like that...then I AM/HAVE BEEN the Devil! })

*shines pitchfork*

:D

Neely75

In the Druidcraft book there is talk of obsession, and that's a little how I see a Devil person. Someone who can't see the big picture, because they are overly focused on just one part of the whole puzzle.

53rdspirit

An abusive (verbal, mental, physical) relationship--and specifically the abusive individual in a relationship. This particular blend of control is well-depicted in symbolism of the card.